• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR BD

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Hello all happy Friday to you wondering people. So I'm switching things up for my babyboy Pierre. So i got a list of all the staple food to feed but with so many options, I wanted to see what do you guys and gals do for your beardie. Like in your daily salad what do u put in it.

Example Salad: Collard greens, dandelion, bell pepper,

Im trying to get a staple daily salad i could Feed him. I saw some people use two or three different greens in their salad. So just wanna see what other peeps feed their babies.

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My dragons and the feeder insects all like yellow squash. I save the seeded parts for my feeder insects, dragons get the rest. Mustard greens and kale are good but collard greens is my main one. Max the bunny likes collards too. My salad consists of collard greens, yellow squash,red, orange and yellow bell peppers with a few slivers of carrot to take care of their sweet tooth. Pumpkin will eat everything with color and save the greens for last.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My standard salad consists of collard greens, dandelion greens and mustard greens. If I can find turnip greens I will substitute those for one of the greens. Then each week I add a different veggie and maybe a fruit. This week we are doing butternut squash, grated. it's always the same greens every week with the veggie being switched up. None of my dragons are big fruit and veggie eaters but they like their leafy greens. I have one dragon, when she is not on an all food strike that loves anything orange.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
My standard salad consists of collard greens, dandelion greens and mustard greens. If I can find turnip greens I will substitute those for one of the greens. Then each week I add a different veggie and maybe a fruit. This week we are doing butternut squash, grated. it's always the same greens every week with the veggie being switched up. None of my dragons are big fruit and veggie eaters but they like their leafy greens. I have one dragon, when she is not on an all food strike that loves anything orange.

Ok so man its hard to find some greens at the grocery store, but i was able to find a couple things, I was able to find Alfalfa Sprouts, Arugula and spaghetti squash. I was unable to find collard greens, dandellion greens, mustard green or turnip greens, and i went to even my farmer local veggie store, but at least i found a few of the staple foods, so heres what ima do for Pierre salad,

I'll be starting him with Alfalfa,Arugula and Spagehtti squash with red or yellow bellpeppers, with some turnip (not Green turnip),

Right now he's inbetween brumation, as i been catching him sleeping under his log, but i got the food out there, He was awake yestarday i gave him a few crickets which he didnt bother with, (He's giving me a stand off as i took away his superworms) so he's not eating, but i also think its part cause he brumating, Overall he was never a salad eater, as petsmart only feed him crickets and pellet, So im hoping he can be a more veggie green eater, since hes gettin up there in age, I might go a complete Insect boycott to force his hand to have to eat greens, But man these guys can be stubborn and hold off.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you've recently gotten him from Petsmart, I would have him checked over before he brumates. Problem being is if they go to sleep with parasites, the parasites will kill them by eating away at whatever fat stores they have in them. Also, brumation can mimic illness so the same symptoms of a dragon going into brumation are the same symptoms of having parasites or an RI or other sickness.

I have a girl that got a clean bill of health in August and a few weeks after that started her semi brumation tour. She hasn't eaten anything on her own in over 2 weeks. I give her a slurry everyday so she has something in her but refuses to eat salad on her own or bugs.

Do you have a healthy organic grocery store by you? I get most of my greens from Whole Foods because that's the only store near me that carries all the greens I need.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
If you've recently gotten him from Petsmart, I would have him checked over before he brumates. Problem being is if they go to sleep with parasites, the parasites will kill them by eating away at whatever fat stores they have in them. Also, brumation can mimic illness so the same symptoms of a dragon going into brumation are the same symptoms of having parasites or an RI or other sickness.

I have a girl that got a clean bill of health in August and a few weeks after that started her semi brumation tour. She hasn't eaten anything on her own in over 2 weeks. I give her a slurry everyday so she has something in her but refuses to eat salad on her own or bugs.

Do you have a healthy organic grocery store by you? I get most of my greens from Whole Foods because that's the only store near me that carries all the greens I need.
hello there, and i got Pierre from petsmarts last year i think july, he was about 5 months then now hes about 17 18 month now, yeah my guy is just stubborn, I blame myself as i was giving him a few supers every other day, i guess he was like jackpot cuz now he only want his worms, but so far one week down without no super, playing the tough love is tough, but as some said BD wont starve themselves and will eat when they really get hungry,

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Some people have had luck with sprinkling bee pollen on their salads. It's like beardie crack to some of them. You can get some at the drug store by the vitamins or at a health food store.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My 2 get collards as the staple, and what I can find would be escorle, mustard greens, bok choy, endive, kale (these avail close to home) If I go to town I have access to dandelion greens, turnip greens ... veggies: zuc, yellow squash, butternut squash, green beans, cactus pad
Dubia, supers, butterworms, waxworms

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Ok went to every drug store and none has be pollen they all loomed at me funny like what's that. . Anywho may have to look on amazon I'll tell ya canada is only good for is health care lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok went to every drug store and none has be pollen they all loomed at me funny like what's that. . Anywho may have to look on amazon I'll tell ya canada is only good for is health care lol
Oh yea you'll find some on Amazon I know many order from there, have you looked at vitamin stores? like GNC type (if you have them over there)

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Yea I saw bee something it came in a capsule pill form so wasn't sure that'll be it. But ill check for our vitamin store

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yea I saw bee something it came in a capsule pill form so wasn't sure that'll be it. But ill check for our vitamin store

Yes, if you buy it from the drug store it will come in a capsule, you just break it open and sprinkle it on.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright so i went to the GNC store which was i shock to see canada have lol, they didnt have bee pollen but told me about a health store which is down the street from my job. I checked their website and saw they had bee pollen so thats a blessing. Gonna see how this bee pollen thing works,

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Ok update, so i went to the health store by my job and got some bee pollen yay, so now that im lookin at it I thought it would be like powder form, but its more of a lil tiny rocks, so my question is do u feed the pollen like that or should i add water to make it like mushy. Any tips will be appreaciated.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright so I got the bee pollen I gave him some while he was in the tub. Maybe not a good ideas as he was more trying to get out the tub. So I'm off tomorrow gonna try and get him to try the bee pollen.

It's been almost two weeks with no Super. I did give him a few crickets as to see if he'll eat them he did eat some probably 10. When he poop today it was smallerthan his usual big poop. That probably cuz he been playing the hunger strike on me.

I guess the last option is to mix his veggies and blend it and put it in a syringe and force feed which I don't even know how to do any tip

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Mine doesn't like bell peppers or any squash. He loves carrots though! I shred baby carrots with a cheese grater. Other than that, he only likes leafy greens - collard, turnip, kale. I hate collard greens so he gets those daily since he is the only one that eats them. I mix it with a little shredded carrot and whatever salad greens I happen to have on hand.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Yea I had a mix of baby arugula, alfalfa. Bell pepper. Choy and Shedd ed turnip. And no bite not even a hey let me go check this out. But ima have to do something I had to rearrange his cage so we shall see might have to force feed but jist gotta find out how to do it without hurting him

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Yea I had a mix of baby arugula, alfalfa. Bell pepper. Choy and Shedd ed turnip. And no bite not even a hey let me go check this out. But ima have to do something I had to rearrange his cage so we shall see might have to force feed but jist gotta find out how to do it without hurting him

If he hasn't been eating you can try reptaboost. It comes to with a syringe, squirt it on the top of his nose and he should lap it up. Used it for mine when I first got him

Attachments

• 13839794_618261225013937_1437990014_o.jpg
    13839794_618261225013937_1437990014_o.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts