• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet visit

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
I gave Shenron a bath yesterday, I made it warmer than the last one. Still nothing. Left him in for over 20 mins. He just sat there for about 15 mins then walked around and tried to get out the tub.

I have a big plastic tote I washed out to try feeding him in. Fixed his salad and dusted a couple crickets and super worms and dropped them in. He licked the water off some of his salad then ate a worm. He chased a cricket for a second and it got away so he gave up. Then he wanted out.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. He won't eat much, he won't poop, he drinks water from the bath so I guess he is hydrated... He is alert and seems in good health. If i put him on the floor he runs around checking things out... I just want him to eat something. It's so frustrating. Maybe I'll try another bath today with even warmer water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't mean to backtrack too much, but I read that you feed kale daily. It's pretty high in oxalates and isn't the best staple green. You could try collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, and turnip greens. Whichever is easier to come by in your area. Dubia roaches are also great protein if you can get past the roach aspect of things. I try to look at them like they are roley polies lol.

Keep giving him baths to help him poop. If he hasn't eaten much, it's possible that he doesn't have a lot of excess waste, which may account for why he hasn't pooped in a while. Be patient and persistent with feeding and bath time. He'll come around!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I gave Shenron a bath yesterday, I made it warmer than the last one. Still nothing. Left him in for over 20 mins. He just sat there for about 15 mins then walked around and tried to get out the tub.

I have a big plastic tote I washed out to try feeding him in. Fixed his salad and dusted a couple crickets and super worms and dropped them in. He licked the water off some of his salad then ate a worm. He chased a cricket for a second and it got away so he gave up. Then he wanted out.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. He won't eat much, he won't poop, he drinks water from the bath so I guess he is hydrated... He is alert and seems in good health. If i put him on the floor he runs around checking things out... I just want him to eat something. It's so frustrating. Maybe I'll try another bath today with even warmer water.

I'm just now reading your post from yesterday. Do you know how warm your bath water is? I went on eBay and got a water thermometer so I now know how hot it is cuz Wally wasn't pooping in the tub either!

I leave salad in a dish in the enclosure all day. I only use the plastic container for the insects. Have you seen the Wally post where he's eating in the container?

Someone just mentioned dubia's - those are great! And they are right about the kale. Kale as a staple is not good.

All the greens - mustard, collard, dandelion, turnip are great! Wally really likes the mustard greens. He will eat the collard but not as much as the mustard. I will give him a small small amount of kale every other month.

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
I have some aquarium thermometers I'll check the water temp this time.

I'll get some different greens today. When I got him I asked the guy what he had been feeding him. He said kale, romaine lettuce, crickets and super worms...The guy seemed like he was well informed on dragons.

Where's the best place to order dubias from? My local shops don't carry them.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have some aquarium thermometers I'll check the water temp this time.

I'll get some different greens today. When I got him I asked the guy what he had been feeding him. He said kale, romaine lettuce, crickets and super worms...The guy seemed like he was well informed on dragons.

Where's the best place to order dubias from? My local shops don't carry them.

I don't think any local places carry them. [emoji20]

I get them from a local guy. I ordered online once and for screwed. So now I buy local. I found my guy on Craigslist.

Stay away from lettuce!! It has no nutritional value and will be bad for them. Superworms are good if you need to put on weight as they are high in fat. They are hard to digest as well.

I feed my guys dubia's and BSFL's - black soldier fly larvae. They are the best in worms. High in calcium, don't need to be dusted. I order those on eBay at Texas a&m - Wally will eat like 30 of those after eating 7 dubia's. But the BSFL's are small. Lol

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
He's about 20 inches nose to tail tip. He's 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old.

9be6fd5e40edbe7ef67a34a6c053b7ad.jpg
e91a976eed4f7e2de2c9485cb14cf3e6.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I prefer to go local as well. I haven't tried discoids but they are definitely superior to crickets. My local gal us over an hour away, so I'm working on establishing my own colony. BSFL's, aka phoenix worms, are great. I picked some up at the reptile expo yesterday. Affordable and fantastic for calcium! East coast feeders can ship, but it's cheaper if you can pick them up locally or at a reptile show to avoid shipping.

Different greens and better insects may be just what your boy needs to get excited about food again :)

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Aww he is adorable!!! I'm in love!!! I just want to reach in and hug him. Awwww he's too sweet.

Can you call that local person on Craigslist and see if they have a bigger size. Dubia's are easy to chew and they can be a bit bigger than the space between their eyes.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I prefer to go local as well. I haven't tried discoids but they are definitely superior to crickets. My local gal us over an hour away, so I'm working on establishing my own colony. BSFL's, aka phoenix worms, are great. I picked some up at the reptile expo yesterday. Affordable and fantastic for calcium! East coast feeders can ship, but it's cheaper if you can pick them up locally or at a reptile show to avoid shipping.

Different greens and better insects may be just what your boy needs to get excited about food again :)

I totally agree!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I did notice it does look like he's in a shed? When they shed they can lose their appetite. Just an fyi.

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
I did notice it does look like he's in a shed? When they shed they can lose their appetite. Just an fyi.

Yes he was shedding when I got him. Only skin left to shed was his belly (which has fallen off now), behind his head and his thighs.. Those spots looked grey but after yesterday's bath they seem to have more color. I see no other dead skin on him now.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes he was shedding when I got him. Only skin left to shed was his belly (which has fallen off now), behind his head and his thighs.. Those spots looked grey but after yesterday's bath they seem to have more color. I see no other dead skin on him now.

Well that could explain a lot!! They tend to not eat when they shed, especially a full body shed.

So now get the better greens and bugs and now that he's done shedding you will have one happy little beardie!

It doesn't bother Wally. He eats more in a full body shed. He ate the most for breakfast I've ever seen! 17 dubia's!!!! I about fell over!! I drop one in at a time. There's a post on here of him eating.

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
Well that could explain a lot!! They tend to not eat when they shed, especially a full body shed.

So now get the better greens and bugs and now that he's done shedding you will have one happy little beardie!

I'll get the new greens in a little while.

Thanks for all the help and info guys, I really appreciate it[emoji16]

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'll get the new greens in a little while.

Thanks for all the help and info guys, I really appreciate it[emoji16]

You are so welcome! Good luck and please keep us posted on how he's doing!

He looks really good. And remember they can go days without eating. Just make sure he gets water!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Supers are okay to feed your beardie. Meal worms are high in chitlin and can be hard to digest. Super worms although look like giant mealworms, aren't as high in chitlin and okay to use as a feeder. Those are my main feeder but I also feed other bugs too such as hornworms and silk worms. I found with all of mine ,when they started eating more super worms, they stopped pooping every dan and now go every other day or so.

If it's been a few weeks since yours has gone, you can feed some canned pumpkin, make sure it's 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling or you can use baby food prunes or apple sauce with no additives in it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I never walk away! I went and bought a water thermometer with a probe so I can see exactly how hot the water is. Lol - I'm such a mom!

Thank you so much for all your help. I can't wait until Wally likes baths. When I put him in it he will climb up my arm.

Do you bath Simon and Izzy together? I know dumb question. Lol - probably not.
LOL your welcome on the help that's why we are here..
And no they bathe separately I have to cover Simon's side of the tank so he can't see her in the sink next to him lol He just turns into a boy and black beards and head bobs at her and tears up his tank..

Latest posts