• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Veggies?

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey guys, just curious how all of you do veggie time. I've been using a lid to a container and shredding up Baynes collards. I actually have two lids in there. One for his collards and one for his turnip greens. It never seems to be enough for him though. He has a hard time tearing it off the leaf which is why I shred them for him. How do you guys do veggie time?

Paarthurnax

Hatchling Dragon
Yep pretty much what I do. I use a Pyrex Ramican shred lettuce dandelion, and day lilly leaves rinse drain and serve wet. Jim gets his water for the day off the wet leaves and until his "brumation imitation" :) he ate them up pretty quickly.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have 1 dish that I put Izzy's salads that consist of a mix of greens depending on what I get that shopping trip like collard, kale, turnip, dandilion, parsley, zucs, squash, peppers, cactus pad, pear or whatever else I find.. (not all at once mind you I do a mix of several of those).. I tear it up into pieces and cut the veggies into small bits. The other dish I have her bugs and some of the greens for them to eat.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Where do you guys find dandelion greens? I can never find them

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've been able to find dandilion, mustard and a few others at 1 of our grocery stores in town called Festival but we are here in WI I often go into different grocery stores all over to see what produce they have.. My next place I am going to go is a whole foods type of store I would imagine they will carry some of the veggies/greens I've not found so far..

Paarthurnax

Hatchling Dragon
Where do you guys find dandelion greens? I can never find them
I have been fortunate to have Dandillions growing in the shady parts of the yard since January. now that temps are in the low 80's we are running out. Just found one hiding today so Jim will have a nice breakfast tomorrow. Care must be taken to make sure no pesticide or weed killers get near the ... well weeds :)

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have been fortunate to have Dandillions growing in the shady parts of the yard since January. now that temps are in the low 80's we are running out. Just found one hiding today so Jim will have a nice breakfast tomorrow. Care must be taken to make sure no pesticide or weed killers get near the ... well weeds :)

I live in an apartment complex so I'm not sure what the landlord uses. I'd rather buy than and be safe. I'd be lost with Bayne. He's become like my little baby. I have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and can't have my own kids, so he kind of fills that slot for me. Especially now that he's cuddling so much. He would rather be out cuddling with Tim or I than be in his tank. He fights you when you put him back in so he can warm up, lol.
I bought Kale today to try that and oh my, Bayne went crazy over it. Tried some watermelon too but so far he hasn't shown any interest in it.
Tim's son Jerry is here for the weekend (we get him every other weekend) but he doesn't show much interest in Bayne and won't really interact with him, so Bayne is still real scared and jumpy around him. Might be why he wouldn't try the watermelon.
Also, we gave Bayne his first bath in the tub last night! I told you guys I'd let you know how it went. He LOVED it. He ran from the shallow end into the deep end and I panicked for a second, but he started swimming and kicking and splashing. It was adorable. I will take a video next time and figure out how to post it on here.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use plastic cat and dog bowls for Luci and Dolly's salad I cut everything up in to pieces and just mix it in the bowl. Super worms don't seem to be able to climb out of them so sometimes if I'm in a hurry I will just put the worms in with the salad. I buy mustard greens, collard greens and dandelion greens and cut them and keep them in a ziploc bag in the fridge with a paper towel in the bag to help catch the moisture. I may have a picture I did for another site, I'll post it. My normal grocery store usually always has mustard greens, occasionally they will have collards. I go to an organic store to get dandelion greens.

I'm a little like you @Bobbi , I don't have human children. Not because I can't but because I don't want them. So my lizards and cats are my babies.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like any other animal they can sense when the person isn't interested or scared of them...I fertilize my yard to get rid of dandilions and other weeds so I stay clear of anything outside...except on the occasion my flowers as I don't treat them but I've yet to give anything from there and doubt that I will...
We don't have kids either ours have 4 legs fur/scales and at 1 time 2 legs and wings :) We do just about anything for them to keep them happy and healthy and well loved.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I made a little picture tutorial on how I chop up, clean and store my collared greens and dandelion. Hope it helps! The stems of the dandelion go to the bugs :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Patsy how long does your greens stay that way?? I keep mine on the stalks with paper towel damp on the ends and then into a bag. You're way is easier by far every day...just grab and put in the bowl do you do other veggies? do you dice them up or shred?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Patsy how long does your greens stay that way?? I keep mine on the stalks with paper towel damp on the ends and then into a bag. You're way is easier by far every day...just grab and put in the bowl do you do other veggies? do you dice them up or shred?
They keep for about 1 1/2 weeks before they get eaten. I do the same with other veggies, cut them and put them in the bag with the paper towel. How I cut them depends on the veggie. Peppers I just dice and harder things like sweet potato and squashes I shred. Although, I do shred zucchini even though that is a squash. It really makes life easier to have it all chopped. It takes about an hour to get it all done.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow that looks 10x easier than what I do everyday lol!!! I shred Baynes veggies by hand everyday! I even arrange them on this lid so he doesn't get more than one at a time and choke. I think I've been a bit paranoid LOL!!!! I have this awesome little wooden bowl that I've been dying to use. Maybe I will put it to work today!

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I made a nice big assortment salad for ody today and he just won't touch it...collard greens, bok choy, cucumber, carrot, strawberry, tomato. He won't touch his veggies....it's disheartening to see him just not eat veggies....he never touches his veggies. ...

Also is there anything wrong with using stainless steel dishes?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I made a nice big assortment salad for ody today and he just won't touch it...collard greens, bok choy, cucumber, carrot, strawberry, tomato. He won't touch his veggies....it's disheartening to see him just not eat veggies....he never touches his veggies. ...

Also is there anything wrong with using stainless steel dishes?
I would avoid the tomato as those are a rarely to be fed item due to the acidity. Don't worry about it as young ones are 80% bugs 20% veggies and as they transition into adulthood that reverses. Some just don't like them some love them. That's why I also feed my feeders the same greens that way especially with roaches they keep the goodies in them longer So our babies get it thru them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use a stainless steel dish for Dexter, no problem using them. Actually because the sides are slippery bugs don't crawl out!

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would avoid the tomato as those are a rarely to be fed item due to the acidity. Don't worry about it as young ones are 80% bugs 20% veggies and as they transition into adulthood that reverses. Some just don't like them some love them. That's why I also feed my feeders the same greens that way especially with roaches they keep the goodies in them longer So our babies get it thru them.

Thank you for your reply; I only put the tomatoes in 1 time a month; very very rarely does he get them.

@PatsyB Thank you for letting me know! That's exactly what I wanted to use it for; the dubias figured a way out of the tub I was using before....sneaky bugs...

Latest posts