• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

uvb light - help please!

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Hi...I just discovered that the lighting I received with my beardie does NOT have any uvb ... I was mislead. :mad: SERIOUSLY!!!!!

There are so many brands, wattages,etc.....please help me.....
What kind and watt should I get?
Currently I have a 20 gal tank.​

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have ReptiSun 10.0 tubes in my enclosures. There are other decent brands out there, but the ReptiSun 10.0 Tube does seem to have the highest reviews & fewest complaints, of the ones readily available in the US, so it is a pretty safe choice for quality UVB. If you get UVB on her asap, you will very likely not have any issues with MBD. You have found that you have a problem in your husbandry, now, one of the traits of a good keeper is how quickly it gets rectified. Once you have UVB on her, dust all feeders with calcium & sprinkle some on any greens it may eat for a while. An 18" tube & fixture would do it. As for a fixture for it, Walmart, Home Depot, any of the large big box stores will have an under the cabinet, 18" fluorescent fixture (That's all I use), for around $10-$15, much cheaper than pet store prices, then purchase the proper bulb. If this happens to be your choice, just be sure not to use the plastic cover, because UVB will not pass through solid filters such as Glass or plastic. Tubes have always been my choice, I am not a fan of compacts, not saying that some of them don't work well, just that I am not a fan of them.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I will rectifiy TODAY!!!
I have been dusting her live prey with calcium every day already. Should I do it morning and night feedings or just once a day?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I suggest all live prey be dusted. You may have been dusting prior to this but your BD needs the Benefits of a proper strength UVB in order for it's body to manufacture Vit D3, which in turn enables it's system to properly process it's much needed Calcium. Without it, it cannot process the Calcium.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Which is why I am soooo upset that the person who sold me Sunkiss and the equipment did not tell me the true info about the lamp.
Sunkiss will get a uvb bulb today!!!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Which is why I am soooo upset that the person who sold me Sunkiss and the equipment did not tell me the true info about the lamp.
Sunkiss will get a uvb bulb today!!!
I like the Zoo Med Powersun. Has UVA and UVB, but it's kinda pricey. I also have a Zilla Dessert 50 which is a florescent tube, and it comes with the proper fixture. I am so sorry you didn't get correct info! I hate that :(. Take her for a good walk in the sun if it's warm enough today.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks everyone...last evening I purchased the Zoo Med Powersun MVB 100w and set it. Now my baby is getting what she needs.
I also spoke with the Vet and she said Sunkiss didn't show signs of MBD currently and that probably what has been the saving grace for Sunkiss so far has been the Calcium w/vit D that has been dusted on her live prey every day....of course, that is not sufficient in the long run. I am now relieved that things are good and she should be okay. :cool:

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I also got a digital thermometer that I can place anywhere in her home! :D
tank.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The absolute bare minimum distance between BD & Bulb from any 100W MVB should be no less than 30cm (12"). 15" from a 160W. Your tank can't be much taller than 12". The minimum distance is not to do with heat, but with UVB strength & wavelengths. Too close & you will do more harm than good. In my opinion, as I mentioned yesterday in our PMs, an MVB has no business in a 20 Gal long. Definitely not the first time that a Pet Store has given out misinformation. Keep a really close watch on it's eyes. There should be a spectrum chart or something on the box, giving the allowable safe distances.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Ok. Thank you. I will measure tonight and raise it if neccessary.
I think that when we get the 40 or 50 gal tank I will use florescent uvb and a seperate basking lamp.
When that time comes is it better to mount the florescent inside the tank or on the top?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Inside & tubes are better, a fine screen can block as much as 40-50% of the effective UVB reaching your animal.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Ok...when you say keep a close watch on her eye's...what am I looking for?
So do you think it will be okay to continue with current set up (changing distance if needed), until I get the larger tank and install tubes inside?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Watch for her keeping them closed when basking more than usual. If you can keep the minimum distance you should be OK, but that will also affect your heat. MVBs are a multi-function bulb, in that they provide UVB & heat. The problem is that quite often, they may not provide the proper temps at the minimum safe distance for the UVB strength. If it doesn't, you can add another regular bulb for more light & supplement the heat.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The absolute bare minimum distance between BD & Bulb from any 100W MVB should be no less than 30cm (12"). 15" from a 160W. Your tank can't be much taller than 12". The minimum distance is not to do with heat, but with UVB strength & wavelengths. Too close & you will do more harm than good. In my opinion, as I mentioned yesterday in our PMs, an MVB has no business in a 20 Gal long. Definitely not the first time that a Pet Store has given out misinformation. Keep a really close watch on it's eyes. There should be a spectrum chart or something on the box, giving the allowable safe distances.
I have mentioned that I use this bulb before, I wish someone would have said something! I use mine in a 40, but it's probably way too strong even for that, it's the 160. I got that one because it provided the proper heat gradient. Sometimes I just shouldn't think. I'm so sorry Sunkiss! I did a bunch of research on it before I got it too, and it was supposedly rated as one of the best things out there to use the mercury lamps. Of course, it was all on the website for the company that made the light and information I got off of another forum before I left it, and the pet store's recommendation.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have mentioned that I use this bulb before, I wish someone would have said something! I use mine in a 40, but it's probably way too strong even for that, it's the 160. I got that one because it provided the proper heat gradient. Sometimes I just shouldn't think. I'm so sorry Sunkiss! I did a bunch of research on it before I got it too, and it was supposedly rated as one of the best things out there to use the mercury lamps. Of course, it was all on the website for the company that made the light and information I got off of another forum before I left it, and the pet store's recommendation.
I did not mean to make this sound like it was anyone's stupidity but my own. No one else is responsible for it, and no one can keep track of every post on here. I'm just flustered. I wish I had known better, Sunkiss. And now I've got to fix my tank as well...

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I really appreciate this forum because of how we all can help each other and share our pics and experiences. Much better than pet stores that only want to sell something regardless of if it is what you or your babies need.
As iron sharpens iron...that's what we are all for to each other :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, Germ. I'm going to look at Zoo Med's website and see if I can figger it out.

Latest posts