• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgently need help with VIV Temps

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Its me the forever worry wart....

I think I was really stupid / absent minded or something . . . BUT . . . I never rechecked my viv temps after I made the fake rock background.

And since I couldn’t remember all the temp ranges went back to previous posts and the internet. Soo much info it has now confused me. Also they don’t really differentiate between the hot side and basking spot.

Here is a list of temp ranges I got from these various sites and posts.
Cool side Mid Basking / Hot side
80-85F / 26-29C No info found 100-105/110F / 37-40/43C
78-88F / 25.5-31C No info found 95-100F / 35-37C
75-85F / 23-29C No info found 95-105F / 35-40C
80-85F / 26-29C No info found 95-110F / 35-43C
85F / 29C No info found 105F / 40C

Some info on my setup first.

I use a Repti Sol 10.0 UVB 900mm tube light.
A Reptile basking lamp 60W
Tiles for substrate
79 Gallon cabinet type tank
Have a heat pad mounted to the side of the tank for cold nights. (In summer the house temps stays around 24-25C / 75-77F, but in autumn/winter they drop to 15-2C / 59-35F)

OK, so . . .Before the background the temps were as follows, measured with stick on dial type except the basking spot where I had a digital/probe type

Cool side Mid Hot side Basking
86-93F / 30-34C None taken 92-98F / 33-36C 104F / 40C

Today I went and measured the new distances and temperatures with the probe for 45 mins at each location (See pic below)

WOW, were those dials OFF.

New readings, bearing in mind its cold today, raining and house temps are 17C / 62F

Cool side Mid Hot side Basking
79F / 26C 75F / 24C 89F / 32C 114-116F / 46-47C

The Mid range is cooler, but I figure its because the distance lower to the floor will be cooler (See pic)
The basking temp was taken with the probe directly under the 60W lamp.

The cool side seems too cold for me and the basking spot too hot. If I change to a lower watt bulb for the basking spot, the cool side will get even colder. If I add a second light to the cool side, it will raise those temps TOO much.

What are your IDEAL temp ranges???? What do you suggest I do?

vivmatestemps.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Monique, can you remind me how old your beardie is?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not 100% sure, but approx 7 months, 15.5", 148 gramms

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. The cool side is recommended to be around 85F. And the hot side should be between 105 and 110F.

So, it looks like your cool and hot sides need to come up a bit. And your basking may be too hot. Keep in mind that each dragon is different and has different preferences in temps. So, give or take a couple of degrees is fine.

House temps definitely take a play into it. I've used a heat emitter to get my temps up before.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx, I'm gonna play around with different wattage lamps for a day or two, and see what happens.

The light I used was a spotlight type, and I think maybe the beam it emitted was making the Basking spot TOO hot, and the rest of the heat got absorbed by the platform rather than dispersed throughout the viv.

So now I am gonna try the normal household bulbs 40W and 60W, since they dont produce a beam but radiate light and heat from all sides, maybe it will work better.

With the 40W, after 1/2 hour the basking spot temp is now 31C / 87F . . . will give it another 1/2 hour and check again. If its still too low I also have an 50W Infra red reptile heat lamp, can I use it during the day (Although the red glow may make it look like a brothel LOL) or is it strictly for night time heating?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let me ask you this... how does Pogie respond to these temps ?
I ask, because each dragon is different, and some prefer greater gradients of temps then others.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good point, Janie. I didn't spell it out enough. ;D

I would definitely not use the infrared light. Beardies do not do well with the colored lights. Bright white lights are the closest to their natural habitats.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed. Colored lights for some gecko species, not for dragons.

Try that, Monique and see if the temps aren't the issue, but the actual color of the lighting itself.
Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I'm not sure what she likes, wish she could talk.

What I've done since we last spoke.......
So the 40W stayed at 32C . . . . Not good, even if I held my hand under it, it wasnt warm for me either.... Took it out

Then I put in the infra red for the past hour, Temp has stabilised at 36.9C.... She is now lying under the infra red lamp. Mouth gaping.

My internet connection was stuffing around so didnt get your post about infra red being a NO-NO,

Will remove it ASAP

OK, removed it.... Old 60W basking lamp back.

Try that, Monique and see if the temps aren't the issue, but the actual color of the lighting itself.
Only had it in for 1 hour, hasnt been used yet. Bought it for emergency winter heat, lady at pet store said I could use it at night and cover pogie up so the light doesnt bug her.

Temp on basking spot already 37C after 1 minute.....

Let me ask you this... how does Pogie respond to these temps ?

Thats whats confusing me.....
Before I changed her VIV she would hang on her log sort of askew, her back facing the basking lamp. As if she wasnt getting enough heat, thats what gave me the idea for a basking platform.

Then when the new decor was fitted, she would stay on the warm side . . . about 1/4 - 1/2 of the time on the edge of the platform where it was measured today as 32C, as well as the back of the platform where the probe used to be and the temps varied from 37C - 41C. But then the remainder or other 1/2 - 3/4 of the time she would lie directly under the lamp where I measured the temps yesterday and today, fluctuating between 45C - 47C. I thought GR8, she likes the heat eventhough I didnt realise how hot it was.

Then the past 4-5 days shes been hiding under the platform for about half the day on the cold tiles.... Thats what made me think to check the temps again... She would come out for 1/2 an hour or so to bask and then crawl back under again.

Once I felt her and she was coldish, when I tried to move her to the top, she hissed at me and I let her be.

So basically what I am trying to say is I am confused . . shes giving me conflicting signals.

I put the white basking lamp back . . temps are now after 15 mins at 43.5C. She left the basking spot and is lying against the back wall I mentiones, cuddledup to the cactus.

What is she trying to tell me????

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah.. the 40 is the red ?
Okay...get a 40 white.
Obviously the 40 red wasn't warm enough, and the 60 white was too much.
So theoretically... a 40 white should be the happy medium.
Hope that helps !
Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, think I'm confusing you, lets try again short version

Had 60W Basking spot lamp that gave the very high temps - started hiding after about week

Then tried 40W normal household globe . . . too cold - went under it, perching herself up on fore arms like a "meerkat"

Then tried 50W Infra red reptile heat lamp . . . Intermediate temp, but you guys said Infra red = NO NO - She lay under it gaping

So put the original one back and she moved away

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This may be silly... but is the heat pad still on ?

I think what we are dealing with here is the distances involved. Can you raise the heat up say an inch ? Perhaps two ?
Hope this helps.
Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope heat pad is off. It goes on when the lights go off and is on the cool end of the viv.

Nope cant raise the light or lower the basking platform. Short light fitting flush against viv roof. Platform sort of one with whole background of viv.

Maybe I should try wedging something in underneath the light fixture so it is at an angle... Then the hot spot (BEAM) can shine past the platform and the heat stay on the platform???? . If I direct it towards the cool end at an angle it may even raise the cool sides temps too (Double bonus ;D)

Hows that sound

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx Janie for your patience and advise

Really appreciate it

M

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's what we are all here for.. helping others and learning.
Janie
Let me know if that works !

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
how do u keep it at 100+ with a 60 watt bulb, im using a 150 to maintain a 100+ basking temp.

Latest posts