• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Update on babies

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well i lost the 5th egg it dimpled last night and had red spots this morning at 6 get home at lunch and the egg is solid blood. So that egg is done. The one that was premature is still hanging on his yolk sack is visibly smaller so we will see.
and pictures of the first three for you to enjoy
IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

They arent eating yet but hopefully soon.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry about your loss. The three are adorable! LOVE the coloring.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they start eating. When do hatchlings typically start eating on their own?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they absorb a ton of nutrients just before exiting the egg (as can be see in the picture of my premature baby)
Some will eat right out of the egg some 1 day and some 4-5 days. Im just not lucky enough to have early eaters :(

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry for you lose........ The three are beautiful.. I hope they start eating soon. There color is so pretty.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey i know what was missing... i never sang to them... so here goes...
itsy bitsy eeny weenie little beardie babies hereee...
lol
janie.

now they will eat and grow biiiiig.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie, you sure no how to make somebody smile!!! I love you soooooo much, but in a brotherly way of course!!! ;) ;D

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
look how tiny they are !

Sorry for your loss, fingers and toes crossed for these little guys or gals...

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gave em their first soak last night. They all seemed to enjoy it. Cant wait till they shed so we can see what they turn out looking like. These are going to be some bright babies.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love you too, Lance and Tom and Tim and last but never least, Brian ;)
Ma' lil brothers .....*edit* Younger brothers :D
I think I am the shortest... by a mile ...lol
Janie.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im just not lucky enough to have early eaters

Hey Brian,

What temps are you incubating at? The lower the temps, the longer the incubation, and the quicker the babies eat after birth. If you incubate at lower temps, the babies have more time to metabolize the yolk, therefore, eat sooner when they come out.

I did a little experiment with beardie eggs and incubation temps. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a "true" experiment, as I don’t have exact numbers to give you, but hopefully you’ll understand what I’m getting at.

I took a clutch of beardie eggs and cooked some at around 81-82 and the others at around 85-86 (I don’t know the exact numbers for anything....sorry). The eggs from the hotter temp hatched first and were smaller. I’ll just say it was around day 50. The eggs at the cooler temp hatched at day 60 ( lets just say) and was larger. But, all the babies were about the same size when the eggs from the cooler temps hatched.

What I mean is, 60 days after all the eggs were laid, the babies were all around the same size, even though some of the babies were newborns and the others were ten days old.

So if you were going by their birth date, the dragons from the cooler temps were bigger. But if you go by the day they were laid, they are all around the same size. This was with only a couple clutches of eggs and I’m by no means a scientist, but I thought you might find it interesting (if you didn’t already know).

Tim

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Also, I wanted to add, if you incubate them at a lower temp, the "yolk dragging" babies are very rare. I've never had one at lower temps, but I've had some at higher temps.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine were incubated at 85 but the strange thing is it still took 75 days to hatch.
but i will try that with the next clutch. Thanks for the advice and insight.
Now i just have to figure out if bella just is only going to cycle the one clutch ???
she still isnt gravid again (laid may 15)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe a song to encourage her ?

Ohhhhh beeeelllla, you lovely girlllll... Ohhhh belllllaaa the nest calllllllss....Ohhhh belllaaaaa the egggs to layyyyy, ohhhh Bellaaaa poooperssss not astaaaaaaaay !

There, maybe if you show her this, she'll head for the box ;)
Janie.

It certainly couldn't hurt !

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Toooo laaaaaaaaaate !
And that isn't even starting to be fair, (hush Brian ;)) I would like you to know I sing just fine... thank you very much !
So there :p
Janie... ( slightly huffy... just slightly)

Latest posts