• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two 75 watt bulbs for 40 gallon tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I will thank you. Is having that many bulbs bad? Or is it fine as long as the temperature is good?
as long as temps are where they need to be and no its not bad --- just unusual for a tank that size --

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
as long as temps are where they need to be and no its not bad --- just unusual for a tank that size --
The gun is reading 114 while the probe is reading 95. Not sure what to trust. I agree it's unusual so I'm not sure what to do

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The gun is reading 114 while the probe is reading 95. Not sure what to trust. I agree it's unusual so I'm not sure what to do
Not the gun the probe is most accurate and the material for the rock if that is where your getting the temp from is throwing the gun off --- too much of a difference in temp - if it was a few degrees off it would be fine but from 95- to 114 is too much --- how many probe thermometers do you have?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Not the gun the probe is most accurate and the material for the rock if that is where your getting the temp from is throwing the gun off --- too much of a difference in temp - if it was a few degrees off it would be fine but from 95- to 114 is too much --- how many probe thermometers do you have?
I have two probe thermometers, I usually stick one in the middle for night time temp. Thank you so much for your help, I'm experimenting with having two 75 watts and the 100 watt to try and find a good middle ground. I'll trust the probe then

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have two probe thermometers, I usually stick one in the middle for night time temp. Thank you so much for your help, I'm experimenting with having two 75 watts and the 100 watt to try and find a good middle ground. I'll trust the probe then
yes go w/ probe temps --- I am not sure what is going on here - you want ambient middle of tank in the 90's during the day -- all those bulbs may get your cool side temp up so watch that too you want that in the 80's during the day -- both probes and set them on the rock they should read the same if they dont one of them is off

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
yes go w/ probe temps --- I am not sure what is going on here - you want ambient middle of tank in the 90's during the day -- all those bulbs may get your cool side temp up so watch that too you want that in the 80's during the day -- both probes and set them on the rock they should read the same if they dont one of them is off
Got it. Thank you very much I will do that and I'm ordering more probes so I can make sure it's accurate. Is there a temp too high for them? Just over 110?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Tweaking the lights until i get a good reading from both of these probes.
16375337803498222789245170204832.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes one says 106 one says 112. Letting it cool down a little before I mess with it
ok so they are 6 degrees different -- but which one is correct -- now are they both the same brand?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
ok so they are 6 degrees different -- but which one is correct -- now are they both the same brand?
Yes they are the same brand. I put them closer together now and they're catching up to each other I think

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they are the same brand. I put them closer together now and they're catching up to each other I think
ok well let them sit like that for awhile and then see what temp you end up ---- but the probes are more accurate than the IR gun -- if the temp is 112 then its too much --

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
ok well let them sit like that for awhile and then see what temp you end up ---- but the probes are more accurate than the IR gun -- if the temp is 112 then its too much --
Okay got it. Thank you for your time, I'll keep all of this in mind while I figure it out. Should I just leave a probe on the rock at all times? Or just check every now and then?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay got it. Thank you for your time, I'll keep all of this in mind while I figure it out. Should I just leave a probe on the rock at all times? Or just check every now and then?
Check it every now and then it does not need to stay there I would say once a week for sure

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one flood light and one repti basking spot lamp. Just swapped one out for the 100 watt so now I have a 100 watt and a 75 watt. Trying to get him up to temp now
Here is some info I got on the flood light and halogen lights - I wasnt sure on which one was best and for heat so I inquired to someone who uses them and has more knowledge than I do about them you decide and go from there

Flood refers to the width of the beam cast by the light due to the reflector. A flood light is wider than a spot light, and preferred in most cases. Halogen is the type of bulb and they work well, as do incandescent. The heat output of each of them has a lot to do with the wattage, but this varies between brands. I generally recommend using either a halogen or incandescent flood light. These are typically BR30 or larger (BR30 and BR40 are typical sizes and are big bulbs with a bulge reflector) The PAR38 is similar in size and beam width but uses a parabolic reflector so they tend to have a flat front with the reflector in the cone portion. The number is the important part there. Go with 30+ for a wide enough beam. Those are often referred to as flood lights while the smaller numbers are often referred to as spot (basking spot lamp for example).

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Here is some info I got on the flood light and halogen lights - I wasnt sure on which one was best and for heat so I inquired to someone who uses them and has more knowledge than I do about them you decide and go from there

Flood refers to the width of the beam cast by the light due to the reflector. A flood light is wider than a spot light, and preferred in most cases. Halogen is the type of bulb and they work well, as do incandescent. The heat output of each of them has a lot to do with the wattage, but this varies between brands. I generally recommend using either a halogen or incandescent flood light. These are typically BR30 or larger (BR30 and BR40 are typical sizes and are big bulbs with a bulge reflector) The PAR38 is similar in size and beam width but uses a parabolic reflector so they tend to have a flat front with the reflector in the cone portion. The number is the important part there. Go with 30+ for a wide enough beam. Those are often referred to as flood lights while the smaller numbers are often referred to as spot (basking spot lamp for example).
Ohhhh okay, that is very helpful, thank you. I will keep that in mind. Will my dragon be okay while I'm tweaking and adjusting his lights? I know his basking spot isn't perfect yet but he has plenty of UV in the meantime.

Latest posts