• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temp fluctuations - nothing has changed

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK so with SPRING in the air Pogies viv temps went haywire again due to ambient temps being UP.
Argggg here we go again :mad:

Think Im gonna play around with the diff wattage bulbs some more.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, so Im an idiot *chuckles*

I now have a 50W halogen for heat, the 10.0 for UV and a 11W energy saver on the cool side for light.

The basking temp is holding steady at 41.5 C / 106.7F, the middle of the viv (although an analogue therm,had it in the house from her previous setup ) is at 36C / 96.8F, the cool side . . now this is what was bugging me is at 31-32C / 87-89F. Then I looked at the house temps Aaaarghhhh 29.7C / 85.4F.

How the heck did I ever expect the cool side to be lower than the house ???
But then again 31-32C / 87-89F is too hot for the cool side right ??? Shes 13 months now, So what do I do?

She can go underneath her basking platform where I also have an stick on therm (had it in the house from her previous setup as well) and its at 28C / 82F

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try opening up some more ventilation.. or.. place a fan close by for circulation.. None of her sides (vented) are blocked by anything are they ? I had that problem with Annebelle's, until I moved her from between the boys, now she is happy as a lark (?) !

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try opening up some more ventilation.. or.. place a fan close by for circulation.. None of her sides (vented) are blocked by anything are they ? I had that problem with Annebelle's, until I moved her from between the boys, now she is happy as a lark (?) !

Yip the newly inserted 3 vents we put in the back 2 weeks ago are against the house wall, should maybe get spacers as theres NOWHERE else to move the viv.
Also my OH brought home a spare PC fan. Think we may install it to suck out the hot air ????

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Me again . . . . :mad:
So I put in the spacers, but house temps are getting hotter by the day. (And its only the beginning of spring) Its currently almost 6PM and the house temps are 32C / 89F.

Pogies basking temps are really good. Between 40 and 44 (104/111F)
But her cool side is still an issue. Currently at 34C / 93F
I will only be able to put in the PC fan over the weekend (Hopefully if my OH doesnt have to work) but in the meantime I have a question

If I turn off her basking bulb around noonish till an hour before I give her her live feeders will she be able to digest her salad with a overall viv temp of 33-34 / 91-93F as the whole viv equals out to that temp with just the UV tube and house temps. Or can I swith them off at noon for the day, will she be able to digest at all at that temp ???

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe.. but she is still young enough to warrant those higher basking temps, Monique..
Now there isn't anything saying, you can reverse her "day" to your night either..
This way when temps are much harder to control during normal day hours, by switching her to a night time activity, she can eat her foods, and digest too !
Just change her day, by one hour at a time.. say like hours the lights go on are from 10 am - 10 pm you go to 11 am -11pm and so forth.. give her a couple of days between hour changes, and change em up again.. I did that for Orion.. worked nicely..
Hope this helps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmmm now thats an idea.

As for the basking temps, she NEVER EVER basks anymore, she spends 95% of her time in the middle of the VIV where the temps are between 34 and 36 C / 93-96F

Could this mean she preferres those temps? She only lies in the basking spot when she wakes up and she sleeps there. She will stay there for maybe 45 mins and then she moves to the spot I mentioned earlier

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry for being such a pain in the B-Hind, but this will be the first spring and summer with her (I got her in Autumn)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what we are here for Monique.. To share experiences,and try out new ideas ( well maybe new to some of us as keepers).
I'd say if she is comfy there, no worries..
As long as her poo shows she's hydrated, I myself, wouldn't worry.. Annebelle tends to sleep on her basking site too..
Hope this helps !

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Francis (Redinkaus on here) shuts his basking light down during the hottest point of the day for a few hours. That is completely acceptable to do. This allows for the temp to lower gradually instead of skyrocketing due to the outdoor temps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Francis (Redinkaus on here) shuts his basking light down during the hottest point of the day for a few hours. That is completely acceptable to do. This allows for the temp to lower gradually instead of skyrocketing due to the outdoor temps..

Ahhh thats great news. Then Ill adjust her timer to switch off her basking lamp for a few hours during mid day, that way she can warm up before supper again. Thanx Brian ;D

Also shes getting her new UVB installed tomorrow, hope the fact that its 40cm longer than her current one wont affect the temps.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Francis (Redinkaus on here) shuts his basking light down during the hottest point of the day for a few hours. That is completely acceptable to do. This allows for the temp to lower gradually instead of skyrocketing due to the outdoor temps.

So do I. Remember that heat wave last year where our temps at ambient were 115 in the shade and there hadn't be rain for something like 4 months? One room full of lights in the middle of the day doesn't work well, and I can imagine only having one enclosure and combating the same issue. It always seemed like the "easy button" thing to do to me.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK this post is probably annoying the living >*&^%$ outta everyone.
The temps (Ambient in house) have reached an all time high for spring. Currently sitting at 93F

Im never ever gonna get her cool side below this. Have scaled down to a 30W spot to heat up the viv in the mornings and by noonish I turn it off.
Have all the windows open and fans running. even tried a fan in the enclosre blowing, then reversed it to suck out the air. NOTHING gets it lower than house temps.

Now my question is this.
How cold do they have to be able to get during day time?

She NEVER gapes, just moves to the floor as the temps rise. Does this mean she is OK with overall temps @ 93 ???
The only alternative would be to put her in her carrier for afternoons and sitting her outside where the breeze blows. But it will be too cramped in there for a whole afternoon.

Reversing her day and night also wont work. Our house keeps it temps at night and only goes down round about 4AM.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This sounds kind of crazy but what is you hang an ice pack on the cool side? Have a few in the freezer to change them out as needed. Don't know if it will work but just a thought.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG now why didnt I think of that? Its as if my brain is stuck these past few weeks.
Im gonna give it a go
*Big thank you hug* comin your ways ;)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well got the Ice pack in. Now its the waiting game. *I HAVE NO PATIENCE* I think the serenity prayer was made JUST 4 ME
I just put it on a rock in the cool side 4 now. If it works Ill look into a more permanent esthetic option

Latest posts