• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tell me what you guys think.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im sorry I'm posting so many new threads, I just wanna make sure I'm doing this right. Like I said before, this is my first beardie and I want him to have the best life I can possibly give him.

Dragonsden.jpg

At the moment I have 2 heat lamps (It gets very cold in my room), 1 UVB lamp, this climbing spot I just built, tiled the floor and a corner food/water dish.

Any thoughts, concerns, recommendations? Whats you guys take on under the tank heat pads? Yes? No? Personal preference?

Give me honest straight forward answers, I will not take offense to anything. I promise :)

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I dont know that you would need a second heat lamp as long as it doesnt drop below 65 in your room but sure can use a second one as long as you have a cool side on the tank around 80. Your setup is looking awesome.

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yes, tiles can get cold because theres no heat at the bottom, 95-110 basking and make sure the temp doesnt go below 65, paper towel would be better for younger age.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for everything guys. this is deff. a learning process for me. :) I did my homework, its just different when you actually get your hands on one. I worry too much about something happening or me doing something wrong LOL

Sqooky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Depends on the type of tile tho, slate and other natural tiles actually retain heat the same way that rocks would in the desert. They can also be a great way to keep nails trim. Tiles that are coated and have a glossy finish will stay pretty cool to the touch.

Undertank heaters and heat rocks shouldn't be used. Lizards do not feel heat from underneath and as a result they will sit in the same spot regardless of the temperature, causing burns

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Makes sense. I was just curious cause I was worried about raising the temp of the viv as a whole. My bedroom is very cold. I got into the habit where I cant sleep without the noise of my window unit running =( So I would say it gets to around 60 in my room at night. I need to get some thermo's. I didnt even think about those >.< Being a firefighter I thought I had a pretty good sense of HEAT LOL. Idiot >.<

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, I agree w/ what was mentioned above. If the room temp is getting to the low 60's then a low watt infrared bulb is needed.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol thanks man. I'm really trying. I'm goin friday to get some new lamps and bulbs. One more question. He's eating. But not his normal quantity....now it's only 3-4 crickets at a time and maybe 3 mouthfuls of greens but he seems totally healthy. His coat IS looking dull, could it be a shed coming on?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds like shed. Their skin usually goes a sort of 'ash gray' colour and I describe it as a plasticy feel to it, not the way it normally feels. I find mine do tend to eat a bit less when they shedding, their usual pattern is tail, feet, legs, head then body last, but they all different :)

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh yes, I try to bathe him every 2-3 days. LoL My avatar here is actually from bath time LOL

I usually bathe mine daily, only because they wont look at water in the viv, but will take a drink in the bath. My girls love it, the boy not too keen especially the oldest one he tried his hardest to escape every time - must just be a boy thing I think lol.
My pic is also of one of my boys, on our one sunny summer day this year, our the back garden having a swim in their pool. Everytime my hubby went near him he did that, but was fine for me or our daughter :)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
DSC05632.JPG
DSC05632.JPG not sure if yoda is male or female but he doesn't like a bath. Also normally when he sheds it doesn't effect his eating but this time round it has in a big way. He basically ate 15 crickets over 2 weeks (normally 30 per day) also lost about 12 grams but he's finished shedding now and he's eating like a mad man now.
Not only do you have to be careful if you are using heat rocks or mat but l bought a hide today and l never in a million years thought it would heat up. Tank was at 38 celcius hot end and the hide was so hot l could not leave my hand on it.. Poor little Yoda would have burnt his belly if he was on there. I've since moved it to the cool end.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lizardlover - where you refering to me about the tube fitting?? If so, yes is just a regular fitting from a lighting shop. I've never actually heard of an arcadia starter.

Yep the hide is resin and fiberglass. I was going to make one from clay but came across this one at the pet store. I knew that it would get warm, i mean it's in a climate controle viv.. but l didn't think that it would heat up like it did. I moved it to the cool end and it gets warm but not hot enough to burn.

They normally sell for $50.00AU here but this one nad a few broken pieces on the top of the door and a crack up one side. I got it for $15.00 and hubby glued it up like new for me.

Still working on the setup.. not quite happy with it but it is a work in progress. The colour ladder was a welcome home gift to Yoda from the kids. Yes it is safe. They sell them her for guinea pigs. The wood if painted in no toxic edible flavoured paint (so if they chew on it, it's flavoured and the next thing you know it's gone.... go figure) Anyway, as l said it was a present from my kids and if l took it out now, they would be heart broken.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im gonna try some new stuff with some lighting and Infrared bulbs this weekend and keep an eye on the temp. I reallllllllllyyyy need to get the temps perfect. I think that is one of my biggest problems