• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange markings on back

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
My leatherback beardie Ironhide is almost 6 months old and midway through a shed. Over the last few days iv noticed strange markings on one side of his back. Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know lol don't know why I didn't initially
a1d18f7bd41138f2ccd90a04bc9abcee.jpg

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Any ideas? Bathe him every couple of days when shedding as it seems to soothe his irritation

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Im not sure, at first I thought it could be stuck shed but its in a strange place, sort of between his ribs. Has it grown gradually worse over the last 3 days or did it just appear like that? does it seem to be causing any discomfort?(beyond whats usual during shedding). Ive been net searching but can't find anything that looks similar. PatsyB or Hdrydr31 will probably know what it is, they will be online later.

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
The markings appeared 5 days ago much fainter and seem to have become more distinctive over time. He's grumpy as usual when shedding but he's not letting me hold him and he loves human contact so that's out of the ordinary. He's eating but not as much as usual. Done so much research and have no idea. We live in Yorkshire, England and our vets are somewhat clueless re reptiles lol

Jindy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I mean, 6 months is still pretty young, could be markings forming, or a drawn out shed. If you're really concerned see a herp vet, you take pride in your investment for this besutiful living creature that depends on you for health care, maybe give the vet a visit? It's good to establish health statuses at the vet over time too, if it is something that develops into aomrthing worse, they will then have an accurate vet's log of the evolution of symptoms.
I'm speaking from experience with my bwardie Bilbeaux. She has had an infection in her lower eyelid for a year, this month marks more than a year. I took her to several vets and finally found one that did the type of test I imagined they would ALL be sure to do but DIDN'T (a culture of the scab under the eye). I waited a few months after the initial growth becausevit was just a small bump, like unshed skin, but after all was said and done, she had 2 bacterias growing in her eye skin, one of which grows in the form of pink mucus, so her eye was always glued shut. Poor baby.
Anyways, 1 year later, several vets, lots of $$$$$ and 5 rounds of antifungal/antibiotic injections/creams/skin nutrients/liquid calcium, she is almost better. The scab under her eye is still there, but supposedly it is healing. I wish you and your beardie the best. Please cobsider a vet, these babies deserve it

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Jindy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I mean, 6 months is still pretty young, could be markings forming, or a drawn out shed. If you're really concerned see a herp vet, you take pride in your investment for this besutiful living creature that depends on you for health care, maybe give the vet a visit? It's good to establish health statuses at the vet over time too, if it is something that develops into aomrthing worse, they will then have an accurate vet's log of the evolution of symptoms.
I'm speaking from experience with my bwardie Bilbeaux. She has had an infection in her lower eyelid for a year, this month marks more than a year. I took her to several vets and finally found one that did the type of test I imagined they would ALL be sure to do but DIDN'T (a culture of the scab under the eye). I waited a few months after the initial growth becausevit was just a small bump, like unshed skin, but after all was said and done, she had 2 bacterias growing in her eye skin, one of which grows in the form of pink mucus, so her eye was always glued shut. Poor baby.
Anyways, 1 year later, several vets, lots of $$$$$ and 5 rounds of antifungal/antibiotic injections/creams/skin nutrients/liquid calcium, she is almost better. The scab under her eye is still there, but supposedly it is healing. I wish you and your beardie the best. Please cobsider a vet, these babies deserve it

I tried to add more info but it would not let me edit the post, so here is my edited version:
I mean, 6 months is still pretty young, could be markings forming, or a drawn out shed.
If you're really concerned see a herp vet, you take pride in your investment for this beautiful living creature that depends on you for health care, maybe give the vet a visit? It's good to establish health statuses at the vet over time too, if it is something that develops into something worse, they will then have an accurate vet's log of the evolution of symptoms.

I'm speaking from experience with my beardie Bilbeaux. She is around 3 years old and has had an infection in her lower eyelid for a year, this month marks more than a year. I took her to several vets and finally found one that did the type of test I imagined they would ALL be sure to do but DIDN'T (a culture of the scab under the eye, most were doing parasite detection and just guessing at which med would help).

I waited 3 months after the initial growth to see a vet because it was just a small bump, like unshed skin, but after all was said and done, she was diagnosed with 2 bacterias growing in her eye skin, one of which grows in the form of pink mucus, so her eye was always glued shut. Poor baby.

Anyways, 1 year later, several vets, lots of $$$$$ and 5 rounds of antifungal/antibiotic injections/creams/skin nutrients/liquid calcium, she is almost better. Seeking a vet early on led to realizing most vets are shite. It took 7 months just to find one that handled animals respectfully, interacted with ME the keeper as an equal, and tried multiple tests to rule out possibilities to narrow down the cause. So yeah, you probably have way more experience with beardies than I do, and you might have a reliable vet, but I (and Bilbeaux) had to pay a hefty price to find a good vet.

The scab under her eye is still there, but supposedly it is healing. I wish you and your beardie the best!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
looks kinda like he has rub marks...did he get stuck under or against something? It may have damaged his scales but won't really know until he sheds again.. You can bathe him with some aloe jel you can get it at local pharmacy stores in jugs pure aloe..make sure you rinse him well afterwards. I don't know if you have that over there where you are.. If he's showing signs of discomfort finding some kind of vet with some knowledge with reptiles..

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
looks kinda like he has rub marks...did he get stuck under or against something? It may have damaged his scales but won't really know until he sheds again.. You can bathe him with some aloe jel you can get it at local pharmacy stores in jugs pure aloe..make sure you rinse him well afterwards. I don't know if you have that over there where you are.. If he's showing signs of discomfort finding some kind of vet with some knowledge with reptiles..
Hi thanks for response. There's nothing for him to really get stuck under in his home. He is actually my 10 year old autistic sons dragon and is watched like a hawk lol they're very close already.
His spirit has lifted in the past 24 hours. He's enjoying cuddles again and eating better so we're not stressing as much even though marks remain.
Having a hard time locating some aloe gel though lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How often do you bathe him and what is the humidity in his tank? Looks almost like a bacterial infection. It could also be stuck shed.

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys thanks for the help with Ironhide's strange markings. Update the markings have faded and he's been shedding his head and tummy over past 24?hours. He's seemed somewhat distressed during this process spending 15 mins at a time all puffed, not eating as much (though stills eating lol he's such a piggy) and running round his house rubbing his tummy and face on anything and everything. I'm considerably less worried now.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to help him through this last uncomfortable stage of shed??

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can buy a jug of pure 100% aloe and put it in his bath when you give him a bath. It sometimes helps loosen the shed.

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys. You've helped before on here and I'm seeking your guidance again . Ironhide has completed his shed and still has these markings. We have seen a questionable herp vet but yet the best in Yorkshire! And he said it was natural markings but I disagree. He isn't suffering or unwell with it but wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
And he isn't able to get stuck or burn himself as previously indicated????

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
I am not sure about the darker stripes on his side, but the dark line on his back and knee certainly looks like wounds or at least damaged scales. Maybe see if there is any vets with reptile experience within reasonable driving distance, the closest reptile vet for me is 2 hours away, but I would drive that distance in a heartbeat for my baby.

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
There is no distance I wouldn't go for him the only thing stopping me is he is happy eating well now sheds over and as active and playful as ever so whatever this strange affliction is is not bothering or hurting him. This site is for advice simply. I think the majority of us know when to go vets

Latest posts