• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spikes new environment

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Regardless of the "pedigree" of the dragon Washed, Sifted, Children's Playsand is a proven safe substrate option for dragons that are healthy, well hydrated and 10+ inches in length from snout tip to tail tip.
It has been used safely for decades by literally hundreds of breeders as well as dragon keepers and without a single documented case of harm coming to a dragon meeting the requirements for using it.
If you are going to use a particulate substrate the Washed, Sifted Children's Playsand is the only proven safe one. Stay away from Calci-Sand, Excavator Sand, Crushed Walnut Shells, Gravel and most of the other products that are sold in the pet shops as being safe. They are not.
You can get Washed, Sifted Children's Playsand at Home Depot, Lowes and many other places. I personally prefer Quikete Premium Washed, Sifted Children's Playsand from Lowes as it is the cleanest and best quality that I have found in my area.
Once you get it home and before using it you will want to re-sift it to remove any small pebbles that may be in it and then bake the playsand in a 225 degree F oven for 30 minutes to kill any mold, fungus or bacteria that may be in it. Then allow it to cool thoroughly before adding it to the enclosure.
One important note to be aware of in that playsand retains heat more and for longer than other substrate options so you will need to monitor the temps inside your enclosure closely for the first several days to see if adjustments are needed to your dragons lighting/heating to compensate.
Hope that helps.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I stated the pedigree and price to emphasize how I didn't want to pay for another $500 BD due to impact sand death, that's all. OK, so I have some time before introducing sand. TY for the details on how to bake it.

Latest posts