• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spikes new environment

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Added sand and put bigger features for him as he outgrown his other logs
Thoughts??
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370148228.872787.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370148273.923266.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
Cute little guy! You will find that the carpet part of your tank will soon be covered with sand. Spike's entire enclosure is sand and he loves it. Something to think about.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I agree for sure with Pat B....It is always best to choose one substrate for an enclosure especially when dealing with sand...unless you happen to find away to teach your dragon how to run a vacuum cleaner you are constantly going to be cleaning the sand off the "turf" area. You will also find that your feeders will find a way to get under that carpet to hide. If you are concerned about giving him an eating area that is out of the sand then I would suggest using some bricks or flat stones to build him a dining platform:)
Enjoy!

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the advice, I left the carpet in just as a trial, he is extremely messy his enclosure is covered in salad, I wanted to leave something familiar in his cage at this stage to keep stress levels down as everything had changed in his enclosure but that and his basking log, I will change rest to sand next weekend

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another aspect to consider, is the fact that the carpet can not be easily removed for sanitation purposes. I totally agree with the others, one or the other, not both combined.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like boys will be boys. Typical bearded dragon boy messes up tank. :D
Looks like your little boy likes his sand.

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Spikes doing great on his sand and he hasn't made too much mess with it, he is more of a messy eater with his salad getting flicked all over his enclosure

Pat B

Super Moderator
You can buy children's play sand at Lowes or Home Depot. You must put it through a sifter/screen to get out all the lumps. Some people even bake it....I never did. The size of those tiny pebbles could accidentally get eaten by your dragon and cause compaction or worse.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't bake it either. I don't have something to bake sand in, but if it's all sealed and all, shouldn't that be safe?

Whenever I sifted the sand for Allie for her dig box or egg laying bin, it's so full of dust.

Do you wash the sand? If so, how?

Pat B

Super Moderator
I didn't wash the sand and it is dusty. I sifted all the sand through a screen and put it in Spike's tank a little at a time so the dust wasn't too bad. How is your baby doing??

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's fine. She didn't lay any eggs. I think I know what caused pink urates. I gave her some watermelon for a couple of days and it turned her urates pink. She hasn't had a pink urate since then. But I'm keeping an eye on her. I took her out for a trip last night because I didn't want to let her stay up past her bedtime so she went out with me and had some fun. She had about several hours of artificial UVB and real UVB from the sun. :D She's enjoying her time spent outside too. She's going outside to use the bathroom again. :p

I can't really stand the dust from the sand unless I sift it into a container while I'm outside.

The baby's sleeping on me while I type this. :D She loves to sleep on my chest and dig her little claws and spikes into me whenever I do. Then she relaxes on me when I rub her back on top of her blankets. :p

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks, i wasn't aware of the rock issue, it was the only sand available, if I had known that I wouldn't have done it!
Looks like I've got a job on my hands this weekend

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, that is a prime example of how Sand gets a bad rap, people using gravel instead of strained sand, then blaming the sand when issues arise.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, i wasn't aware of the rock issue, it was the only sand available, if I had known that I wouldn't have done it!
Looks like I've got a job on my hands this weekend

Good luck this weekend.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Question, I'm building an enclosure which can be found in the Enclosure Thread section. My BD will be about 7 months when he is delivered to me and I wanted to know "when" can I introduce sand to Him/Her (what age or size)? I'm going to use a fake rock floor until he gets old enough. I'm concerned already about sand simply because my BD is a $500 pure Super Citrus breeder. Not easy to replace, not that any other BD doesn't have a significant value to their owner.

Latest posts