• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Someone reported my beardie!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I am so aggravated right now. I live on the first floor and apparently some one walked by my apartment this morning when it was still a bit dark out and saw the tank and the lights and reported me to my apartment manager which makes no sense in the first place because they allow cats and dogs here and the leasing office called me and asked me what was in the tank and I told them and they asked how big he was and I lied and said 5 inches and she said well I have to talk to the property manager about it, I'll call you if it's a problem. How 'BS' is that? Pardon my language! They allow all types of dogs here and cats but their giving me issues over a tank and a lizard? Ridiculous! I will NEVER give up my beardie, and luckily I haven't heard back from them that it is a problem, but I would move if I had to just to keep my baby! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Moderated

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear about the cause of your aggravation.

I also live in an apartment owned by a large rental company with many buildings, was upfront with them, told them what we had for pets, which at the time was just the 4 BDs. The Building that I live in is labeled "Pet Friendly", but if you have pets, tenants are required to pay a Non-refundable deposit of $250 in order to keep them in the building. I told them that we had 4 BDs, their adult size, dry enclosures & that they were a caged pet, not regularly allowed to run loose. They considered this & did not require me to even pay the $250 fee. We only had to pay that, after we adopted our Furry Pets.

Likely because they saw a tank, many Buildings will not allow Fish tanks because of the damage repercussions should they burst & weight factors, which some insurance policies don't cover. This may have been why they have checked on you. It should a non-issue if you explain the dry habitat, no weight issues & the necessity of keeping the BD in it's controlled habitat, with no chance of escape.

An issue that I have seen raised, if Power is included in with the rent, that some Landlords or leasing companies will charge extra for the added power consumption used by the high wattage bulbs & long hours, as they are not regular utilities. Our heat & water is included, but we pay our own power\electricity.

I sincerely hope that you do not hear back & that there are not issues. I also would move, if at all possible, rather than rehoming.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the support Germ! It definitely was a frustrating phone call....I didn't tell them about my beardie because I have lived here for 2 years and just got him a few months ago so I guess I didn't think it was necessary. Also, I did not know that apartment managers don't like fish tanks! It makes sense to me, but I never would have thought of that. Power and electricity is not paid by them, so I doubt that would be their reason. Someone else told me they might have been checking up on me to make sure it wasn't a big snake because they probably wouldn't allow that in case it got out and got into someones apartment. Who knows!! All I know is I am very glad I have not heard back from them, and I am hoping I never will about this issue again! I guess one of the frustrating parts of this whole situation is that people cannot mind their own business around here and have nothing better to do I guess than get people in trouble. LOL. (Just venting now) I talked to the leasing office around 12 and I never heard back from them so hopefully if it were really a huge problem they would have called back TODAY. And trust me, I love my apartment, but I love my Baby more and I would NEVER give him away for anything or anyone! :D

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Read your lease agreement real carefully, I have a hunch the issue is with fish tanks, if it is there at all. Don't talk about moving right off, exercise your legal rights.

Having said that - the fact that you didn't get a call back probably means that you are OK. Don't loose a lot of sleep over it.
But please do keep us posted.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Most apartment complexes will allow you to keep caged animals. I agree with Chris and Germ, check with your lease before you worry too much!

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
I used to live in an apartment complex. The used to inspect every few months. They didn't allow pets either. The BD that I had back then was full grown. Whenever they came to inspect, I put my BD in my sock draw, slightly open and left him there for the 10 minutes that it took them to do a walk through.
Whenever they would ask me about the tank, I said it was for decoration and the light where there to bring attention to it.
They never asked me more about it.

Pat B

Super Moderator
You are so right....it is 'BS'. Why can't people mind their own business? Hope nothing comes of this....

Moderated

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
I'm sure you'll be fine. If they say you have to get rid of him, just hide him or have someone babysit him and tell them you paid too much for the tank and will use it for decoration.

Hope everything works out.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope you can resolve this issue and stay in your apartment. Just because you've got a tank and lights for your beardie, doesn't mean it's an aquarium for fish. The nerve of some people!

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my wife use to be an apartment manager and they have to be strict. i remember her telling me a story about a guy who moved in to their complex with 1 snake and when they went to do their yearly check of the apartment the guy had aqcuired almost 60 snakes and the cages were in the most horrible conditions. You should be find though as long as you don't go all out acquiring too many pets. Just call the manager and explain to them how big he will get and invite them to come out and have a look at your set up so that they can see for themselves that everything is okay.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
60 snakes in horrible conditions? Wonder if he was a hoarder? Someone who has a ton of snakes and doesn't take care of them. I'm not a snake person, but that's just cruel! I wouldn't dream of hoarding or keeping more than I can handle. ;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
**Shudder** to think about it. You know, I couldn't bring myself to kill a 'probable' dangerous snake. I'd rather have a snake in the yard than a water rat and he/she hasn't really attempted to hurt us. Hasn't even been basking out in the sun lately.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks everyone! It's kind of a funny story....I went to the office to pick up my package of UVB Reptisun lights and they said Well, reptiles are not allowed in this apartment complex...then they said they talked to the property manager and he said I was such a sweet girl that he didn't want to make me get rid of it LOL!!! That was nice of him! They also told me to keep my shades closed all the time so other people don't see it, but I am not gonna live in darkness everyday either so I will just shut my shades when it gets dark and night and in the morning. PHEW!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He may be curious as to what you've got! :) Maybe he'll drop by and see the beardie and make an exception for one type of reptile. ;)

Latest posts