• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Silkworms on Hornworm Chow

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know it worked the other way around (hornworms on mulberry or silkworm chow) but I didn't know it worked where the silks were on the hornworm chow and thriving. I kept a couple silkworms from my last order so I could grow them and get some eggs and I ran out of silkworm chow but had a ton of hornworm chow left (hornworms don't last in my home). I figured eh what the hell I'll give it a shot since it's only a couple of silkworms and wow! They are flippin huge in a much shorter time than they were on the silkworm chow. They have been eating it for several days now with no die offs. It's nice to know I have an alternative if silkworm chow is out of stock. Just figured I would share.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a box full of silkworm eggs. They normally hatch around Sept yearly.
What exactly is Hornworm chow? I could maybe make some and get silks all year round

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
I have a box full of silkworm eggs. They normally hatch around Sept yearly.
What exactly is Hornworm chow? I could maybe make some and get silks all year round

I personally haven't the slightest as far as what's in it. It's only sold through a couple people here and the recipe is nowhere to be found.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think Rex would love silk worms. I gave him some really small supers and he absolutely loved them. So silk worms I bet are a sure shot.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2 kinds of silkworm chow.
1 is mulberry farms
the other recipe belongs to Great Lakes

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's 2 kinds of silkworm chow? I always thought there was the 1 silkworm chow and the 1 hornworm chow ???

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
taste it. you can actually eat it.

the Morus alba tree is the one preferred. Mulberry fruit has been used as a medicinal agent to nourish the yin and blood, benefit the kidneys, and treat weakness, fatigue, anemia, and premature graying of hair. It is also used utilized to treat urinary incontinence, tinnitus, dizziness, and constipation in the elderly and the anemic.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I will let my worms have the chow this round lol But that's pretty cool. I heard mulberry was good for you but had no idea how or what it did. Now if I can only find some herbal/hollistic stuff for knee/joint pain. I had a list somewhere but I misplaced it

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
flaxseed oil, myrrh gum, bromelain and turmeric root, add dry ginger, wheat sprouts or alfalfa leaf

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
flaxseed oil, myrrh gum, bromelain and turmeric root, add dry ginger, wheat sprouts or alfalfa leaf
Awesome! Looks like I have some shopping to do.

How are the mulberry berries? They always looked so yummy minus the stains they left on your hands when you pick them.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice my fav! Now this may sound stupid but could I eat the leaves too? Like in a salad? I pick dandelion greens for myself and the lizards so I wondered if it were the same concept

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes, although they're not sweet and tart. They're rather blah and slightly bitter tasting.
I've cut them up in what we call Kanoos. It's like cucumber/tomato salad with the leaves chopped super fine, a little lemon juice, salt and pepper, some fresh parsley, cilantro if you like and let it sit in the fridge till it's really cold.

Wow.......a spot where my religion fits into society!!!!!!!!!!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That salad sounds absolutely to die for. I think your religion and mine were 1 in the same last time we talked so you def fit in with me

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ironically, there are alot of naturals that are overlooked because it's easier to take a pill. Considering my immunity, I can't take those pills.......so i have very few alternatives other than the natural forms.
And man do i have some recipes. I like to cook, but if i can rinse it under the water and kick it up a knotch, I'm good.

you should try the salad. First try the salad without the mulberry leaves in it. Then with.
you'll like.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My in-laws make something very similar but use dill instead of parsley and I loved it so I'm sure I would enjoy this one. I am all for something natural over pills. I used to have wars with my parents over that. They didn't understand that I didn't want crappy chemicals in me when I'm sure there was a natural alternative. My argument was always, if the original form of humans got by on herbs why can't I?

Latest posts