• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok so I bought sand today for my dragon. Do have to bake? Or can I run it under hot water and strain it

uploadfromtaptalk1368388771702.jpg

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Quiktete premium playsand I know I have to strainer it but do I have to wash and bake it?

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I need answer to this. I want to change right now if anyone.e can my question please

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Playsand would be previously washed (Not sterilized) at the plant, I have never re-washed mine, nor have I ever baked it, although rinsing through hot water would remove some of the finer dust particles, then you would have to bake it to dry it out some. I put it into the enclosure damp out of the bag, so it cakes the way I landscaped it when it dries, helps to keep the dust down & also helps to keep its shape when they are tunneling. Some keepers do bake their's as an added precaution, I never have. I strain it right out of the bag into the enclosure.

Pat B

Super Moderator
So Bea....did you get your beardie on sand? How does he like it?? Spike took a little while to get used to it but so far so good!!

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yea I just now put it in he was sleeping so he doesn't even know it yet just put enough to cover the bottom of the tank until Tuesday so I can put some more in unless you it has enough.
If it works out for him I will put scarlett on it too. Let me know if I need to put more in it

uploadfromtaptalk1368410564594.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I personally like to have more in mine, generally keeping it deeper towards the back side &\or one corner (generally the cooler side) landscaped to give them some depth to dig around in. Mine generally vary in depth from 1.5"-6" throughout the enclosures, allowing enough depth to scoop the poop.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Add more Tuesday. I got a fifty pound bag do you I should put the whole thing in or half

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That looks good, but again, it is entirely up to you if you want to add what you have left. There really would be no 'Too Deep', unless of course, a person went overboard & filled the enclosure half full or more or something ridiculous like that. 1.5"-6" even 8" is fine in areas. I have often used more sand to raise the basking spot a bit to achieve the required higher temps by bringing it closer to the bulb. If I have a female that is going to lay, whether fertile or not, when she starts showing the signs, I dampen the majority of the existing enclosure sand, then pile & pack it mostly into one corner or side, giving it an area to tunnel & lay the eggs. Then remove the eggs & re-spread\re-landscape the sand back to normal.

Mine like to dig, so I keep areas a little deeper to allow them to do so, here are some pics of the tunnels that Hoodwink & Falkor have recently dug ...

Falkor
Digging Tunnels 001.jpg

Digging Tunnels 003.jpg

Hoodwink
Digging Tunnels 006.jpg

Digging Tunnels 005.jpg

A vid of Arrow digging (I know it's long, but ... It was a long dig ;) ) showing what happens when the sand is too shallow ;) . Wearing his sand hat at about 4:03.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Love those little burrows! They look so close to the natural habitat. Nicely done, Germ

Pat B

Super Moderator
I put a 50 lb bag in my 40 gal breeder tank....I have another bag and think I will add some of that.....50 lbs seems pretty skimpy to me but Spike likes it!!

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I have little bit of sand left to put in when I get that in it is 50 pound bag I had to back it. The last of got bake is sitting on my stove will put rest in tomorrow.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok all done put in the whole 50pound bag in tell me how does it look?

uploadfromtaptalk1368732828652.jpg

Latest posts