• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sam's Place

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EAGLES said:
Very nice....so silicone but no grout? What silicone did you use and how di you use it with the tile, including the bottom edge all the way around the back and sides?
Are those four lights your only lights? How do you incorporate the UVB?
Are those dimmer's manual? If yes, do you have a pattern you follow with them daily?

Oh....yeah, I definitely grouted these in, too. I used the same stuff I used on Frodo's "in-the-wall". The silicone I used is GE II Silicone in a large "caulking" tube.

There are actually three of those fixtures in the enclosure, but they're no longer the "only" lights I have in there anymore. Before adding a 4 foot fluorescent fixture, I used a Mercury Vapor Bulb for UVB. As I had too many issues with them, I just went back to the ReptiSun 10.0 in all my enclosures. The 4 foot fluorescent fixture is just an $8 or $10 shop light bought at Wal-Mart.

Yes, the dimmers are manual. A pattern? No, not really. If I'm using a fluorescent coil (standard household, not the UVB type), I can't use the dimmer functionally as it could cause a fire. However, when an incandescent is used for heat (like my halogens), then the dimmers are definitely used. The only pattern I have is to check the basking surface with my digital temp gun and adjust the wattage as necessary.

Here's a pic of the current setup taken just a few minutes ago. And yeah, Sam's a bit overweight these days. ::)

SANY0374resized.jpg

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Very nice man!
So where did you use the caulk if the tiles are grouted?
I see you ended up putting in a linoleum, any reason over the tiles?
Thanks!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't use any caulk. Just that the silicone was in one of those larger tubes that you normally get caulk in. Sorry about the confusion.

I put the linoleum in over the tiles as that's my female's enclosure. Part of their natural instinct of laying eggs is to dig 'til they find a suitable location for laying the eggs. Even though there's tile in there, instinct takes over and they'll dig and dig 'til their nails are worn down to nothing. Often times leading to bleeding. So, with the linoleum, she doesn't tend to wear her nails down as bad. Plus the fact that I've picked up on her mannerisms when she's a day or two from starting to dig. So I'm much more aware.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
I didn't use any caulk. Just that the silicone was in one of those larger tubes that you normally get caulk in. Sorry about the confusion.

I put the linoleum in over the tiles as that's my female's enclosure. Part of their natural instinct of laying eggs is to dig 'til they find a suitable location for laying the eggs. Even though there's tile in there, instinct takes over and they'll dig and dig 'til their nails are worn down to nothing. Often times leading to bleeding. So, with the linoleum, she doesn't tend to wear her nails down as bad. Plus the fact that I've picked up on her mannerisms when she's a day or two from starting to dig. So I'm much more aware.

Very cool, what did you use the silicone for?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh....yeah. The silicone. Maybe that's what you meant instead of caulk. :D

I siliconed the tiles down to the floor. Then grouted the gaps between them. No real need to use that much grout.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
VERY nice carpentry work.

(I love the teddy bear in Sam's enclosure).

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Debbe said:
VERY nice carpentry work.

(I love the teddy bear in Sam's enclosure).

Thanks Debbe. Unfortunately, Sam doesn't think much of that teddy bear. She'd rather just move it out of the way and lay on the rocks. LOL! I'd like to get her and Frodo a couple of those hammocks. Perhaps they'll like those.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fliehigh said:
Hi Craiger

I was wondering if you could tell me the dimensions?

I absolutely Love this enclosure!!!

Fliehigh

Thanks. :)

The enclosure is 5 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you.

I have been trying to convince the Boss, i mean my wife, to allow me to build a custom encloser and when I sent her the link for you build it convinced her they could actually look like real furniture.

I know all you ladies out there caugght the "Boss", "allow" comments. Wel I have learned that "A happy wife means a happy life" ;D

Cheers

Fliehigh

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fliehigh said:
Thank you.

I have been trying to convince the Boss, i mean my wife, to allow me to build a custom encloser and when I sent her the link for you build it convinced her they could actually look like real furniture.

I know all you ladies out there caugght the "Boss", "allow" comments. Wel I have learned that "A happy wife means a happy life" ;D

Cheers

Fliehigh

LOL! I know EXACTLY what you mean! ;D

In all (the three pieces put together...stand, enclosure, and canopy), the height is around 6 feet. Of course, the length and depth are the same (5 feet and 2 feet). I went for internal dimensions on the enclosure, though....so you might want to design around that. Overall (read: outside) dimensions will be different depending on the material width you choose.

If you need any assistance with what I did, feel free to ask. I have more pictures on my Photobucket account, here.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
happy wife means man lives to see another day. Go ahead, admit it. *snickers*

seriously, with craig's advice and instructions, if you can follow, he really knows how to build em!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:

I ain't dumb! I'll admit it!!! LOL!

seriously, with craig's advice and instructions, if you can follow, he really knows how to build em!

That was very nice, Gina. Thank you!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanks not needed. Proof is in the pics. I've watched you build enclosures for several years now. Well............as step by step posts go anyhow.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fliehigh said:
ladyknite said:

I have been married for 6 years and I think I learned that on day 2!!!!!

;D

Same here, except we just celebrated our 21st at the beginning of June.

ilovelizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
About how much did the cage cost all together?
&what kind of wood did you use and did you treat it in anyway?

Latest posts