• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Respiratory infection

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I have a 7 months old bearded dragon that seem to have a respiratory infection, however I don’t have any vet with reptile knowledge near me.

I know that Baytril can help cure it but I’m not sure for the dosage. Would anyone know?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,

I have a 7 months old bearded dragon that seem to have a respiratory infection, however I don’t have any vet with reptile knowledge near me.

I know that Baytril can help cure it but I’m not sure for the dosage. Would anyone know?
You need to be sure that is the cause --- I need more info on the symptoms the dragon is doing then I can post a friend of mine that can help out here --- please get a video of the dragon breathing etc -- lets go over the basking temps how are you taking them no stick ons they are inaccurate -- are you using any colored bulbs any off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs ? And your UVB what are you using ? No coils they are inadequate for UVB-- this is all very important for the health of the dragon

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to be sure that is the cause --- I need more info on the symptoms the dragon is doing then I can post a friend of mine that can help out here --- please get a video of the dragon breathing etc -- lets go over the basking temps how are you taking them no stick ons they are inaccurate -- are you using any colored bulbs any off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs ? And your UVB what are you using ? No coils they are inadequate for UVB-- this is all very important for the health of the dragon
Hello, basking spot is at 40° C with an off white light. I’m using mercury bulb for UVB and heat. Humidity is always between 30-40%

It doesn’t allow me to attach a video but basically he have hard time breathing and make weird sounds throughout the day and sometimes at night too. I’m pretty sure that it’s respiratory infection since I’ve consulted with lot of experienced breeders that told me so.

Unfortunately, there’s no vet I could consult with where I am since they are not good exotic vets.
(Trust me I tried and regret)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, basking spot is at 40° C with an off white light. I’m using mercury bulb for UVB and heat. Humidity is always between 30-40%

It doesn’t allow me to attach a video but basically he have hard time breathing and make weird sounds throughout the day and sometimes at night too. I’m pretty sure that it’s respiratory infection since I’ve consulted with lot of experienced breeders that told me so.

Unfortunately, there’s no vet I could consult with where I am since they are not good exotic vets.
(Trust me I tried and regret)
What brand of MVB are you using? And where in the tank is it? Do you have it unobstructed? The MVB's are good for heat but not so much UVB very weak -- are you using a good reputable brand of MVB- like a Mega Ray ? Most of them are not as good as this one --- good heat but not so much UVB- I recommend you get another long tube UVB like 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb for a tank that is at least 18" high - the off white basking bulb please replace w/ a solid bright white basking bulb examples would be a Zoo Med Repti basking or a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb but any good solid bright white bulb will work thats keeping your temps what they need to be - the 40 C is that being taken w/a digital probe ?
vet finder
I have a vet tech friend that is very good w/ helping people I am going to flag this post to her and see if she can help w/ the Baytril thing - but see if the website will help you finding a vet where you are

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
What brand of MVB are you using? And where in the tank is it? Do you have it unobstructed? The MVB's are good for heat but not so much UVB very weak -- are you using a good reputable brand of MVB- like a Mega Ray ? Most of them are not as good as this one --- good heat but not so much UVB- I recommend you get another long tube UVB like 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb for a tank that is at least 18" high - the off white basking bulb please replace w/ a solid bright white basking bulb examples would be a Zoo Med Repti basking or a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb but any good solid bright white bulb will work thats keeping your temps what they need to be - the 40 C is that being taken w/a digital probe ?
vet finder
I have a vet tech friend that is very good w/ helping people I am going to flag this post to her and see if she can help w/ the Baytril thing - but see if the website will help you finding a vet where you are
Okay thank you for the info, the lamp is all the way to the right of the tank, I’ll try to put a picture.
I do mesure temperature and humidity not sure what it’s called.

I’ll go see what’s the brand, but I don’t think it’s a reputable one ? It have lot of good reviews though and I use it for all my dragons. Im actually going to replace his hub for a new one rnw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you for the info, the lamp is all the way to the right of the tank, I’ll try to put a picture.

I’ll go see what’s the brand, but I don’t think it’s a reputable one ? It have lot of good reviews though and I use it for all my dragons. Im actually going to replace his hub for a new one rnw.
I would get a hygrometer w/ a probe on it - your not getting the whole tank if its placed on the hot side of the tank you want a probe placed in the center of the tank it will get the whole tank humidity -- you want surface basking temps- shes not getting enough UVB w/ just the MVB I sent a link for a good UVB -- you want a fixture w/ a reflector and the link I sent has that -- please add to the MVB its going to give her the UVB she needs -- your screen on the tank is going to determine placement and distance for the UVB fixture - as of now shes probably not getting any UVB w/ the MVB your using the screen blocks out 30% of the rays - this is more than likely the cause for the RI - humidity levels should be no less than 20% and no higher than 70% -- optimal humidity is 40-50%

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get a hygrometer w/ a probe on it - your not getting the whole tank if its placed on the hot side of the tank you want a probe placed in the center of the tank it will get the whole tank humidity -- you want surface basking temps- shes not getting enough UVB w/ just the MVB I sent a link for a good UVB -- you want a fixture w/ a reflector and the link I sent has that -- please add to the MVB its going to give her the UVB she needs -- your screen on the tank is going to determine placement and distance for the UVB fixture - as of now shes probably not getting any UVB w/ the MVB your using the screen blocks out 30% of the rays - this is more than likely the cause for the RI - humidity levels should be no less than 20% and no higher than 70% -- optimal humidity is 40-50%
I see, I think his lamp might’ve also be just too old, the light wasn’t as pure white as the other ones I have..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they need to be changed out every 6 months so it was / is probably weak on everything and even more so on the UVB --- please get it changed out as soon as you can -- going w/ out the proper lighting is not good and they get sick fast --- the UVB I posted expiration is every year I recommend a month prior to

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they need to be changed out every 6 months so it was / is probably weak on everything and even more so on the UVB --- please get it changed out as soon as you can -- going w/ out the proper lighting is not good and they get sick fast --- the UVB I posted expiration is every year I recommend a month prior to
Already changed it :)
Will see how it goes. Do you think the respiratory infection could go away with proper lighting ? Or should I still get Baytril?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Already changed it :)
Will see how it goes. Do you think the respiratory infection could go away with proper lighting ? Or should I still get Baytril?
It depends on how bad it is -- I have posted to my friend the vet tech - she is on at night so I am hoping to hear from her by tomorrow morning - she can best guide you for the Baytril but that correct lighting is going to keep her from getting worse along w/ other health issues

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
It depends on how bad it is -- I have posted to my friend the vet tech - she is on at night so I am hoping to hear from her by tomorrow morning - she can best guide you for the Baytril but that correct lighting is going to keep her from getting worse along w/ other health issues
It seem light, he don’t make lot of noises and eat well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It seem light, he don’t make lot of noises and eat well.
I have not heard back from the vet tech yet so I sent it to someone else that might have know something about the Baytril------------ try this website to see if you can find a reptile vet near you if you are in a small town / area type in the biggest city closest to you
www.arav.org

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have not heard back from the vet tech yet so I sent it to someone else that might have know something about the Baytril------------ try this website to see if you can find a reptile vet near you if you are in a small town / area type in the biggest city closest to you
www.arav.org
Like I said, I know that there’s vets around me. But they are not good so I don’t want to consult with them. Maybe just for dosage if i can buy from them.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like I said, I know that there’s vets around me. But they are not good so I don’t want to consult with them. Maybe just for dosage if i can buy from them.
Ok that's ok I just thought the website would help- the ones on this site are supposed to be accredited - and yes there are some bad vets out there that have not a clue to what they're doing

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok that's ok I just thought the website would help- the ones on this site are supposed to be accredited - and yes there are some bad vets out there that have not a clue to what they're doing
Oh ok I see. Sadly yea so many don’t know much about reptiles and just want money

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard from the vet tech here is what shes asking

Which UVB light are they currently using?
If they need Baytril, I do have some. We
want to be sure that is what the ailment is
just so they don't medicate without reason.
If they can get Baytril or have it, I can also
dose it for them too.
They can directly email me, if needed.

If you want her email let me know I will pass it on to you

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I heard from the vet tech here is what shes asking

Which UVB light are they currently using?
If they need Baytril, I do have some. We
want to be sure that is what the ailment is
just so they don't medicate without reason.
If they can get Baytril or have it, I can also
dose it for them too.
They can directly email me, if needed.

If you want her email let me know I will pass it on to you
Thank you, so like I said I’m using mercury vapor light and I tried to ask some vet about Baytril but they said that they can sell it only with prescription..
Yea I would appreciate if you could give me her email :)

Thank you !!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, so like I said I’m using mercury vapor light and I tried to ask some vet about Baytril but they said that they can sell it only with prescription..
Yea I would appreciate if you could give me her email :)

Thank you !!
What kind of mvb brand and bulb please-- is it unobstructed or on the screen - I would recommend getting a long tube fixture uvb - a 24" zoo med for a 40 + gallon tank or a 24" Arcadia proT 5 w a 12% bulb - try this website you want a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 for the zoo med it comes w/ a 5.0 use that as back up- distance and placement is different from the two and placement depends on the screen- mvb's do not provide enough uvb and you want him to get enough this could be the cause for the RI--
Tracie email is [email protected]

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you emailed Tracie? How is the dragon doing?

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you emailed Tracie? How is the dragon doing?
Didn’t have the chance yet, will do today.
The dragon seem to be doing better since I replaced his UVB light and put up the temps, here’s the company I use :

Attachments

• A3C8E47D-2FCE-43D5-97DC-57D871C5EED0.jpeg
    A3C8E47D-2FCE-43D5-97DC-57D871C5EED0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts