• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question???

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
yea i have no idea what the temps are in the basement, i do know that the temp does get kinda cold in the winter, summer im not sure of yet cause we just moved into the house we bought in nov. and i was leaning more towards the hundred cause summer is gonna be here soon, thinking im gonna stay away from the one fifty watt til winter gets closer, just for a back up in case i need it for the winter.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Their are so many variables when it comes to heat & what does the job for individual setups. It is not necessary to get a Reptile 'Basking Bulb', as they are nothing more than overpriced versions of the equivalent bulbs found at most larger hardware stores, generally for much less than half the price. Any white light emitting bulb of a type & wattage high enough to provide the desired temps, will do the job quite nicely.

The wattage needed will depend on setup, ambient room temps, distance from the bulb, etc. We all have to play with types of bulb, wattages, distances, etc to suit our individual setups. Personally, I use standard Philips Halogen Floods, brighter/whiter light, more heat per watt, less power consumption with superb heat penetration.

CHEs are great to supplement heat at night when absolutely needed, but for daytime heat I would stick with white light emitting bulbs, the brighter the better. BDs thrive on bright white light (which is basically all UVA is).

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
germ and bb66 you are right the prices are way lower then big apple. and bb66 you are right no sales tax and shipping is free for $75 plus orders

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
your right germ i actually just bought some flood lights for outside the house and i got a two pack for twenty something dollars and thats still cheaper then one basking bulb. and that means i can buy all of the watts for a cheaper price and just swap out one if it doesnt reach the temps i need. and i dont know what the che's is??? i seen you said something about it on a comment you made to someone but i am not sure what it is

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
CHE = Ceramic Heat Emitter

CE100Ceramic.jpg

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
on your earlier post you are right and i am glad that i am planning on running the set up a week before i get a bd and put them in the tank, will have lots of adjusting to do to get everything just right

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
i talked to aleena about this, im thinking of putting the setup next to my fish tank setup so the bd and the fish have something to look at, lol know if i was a fish or bd i would enjoy it, provided that being next to fish tank wouldnt mess with the humidity levels of the setup for the bd

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
May or may not be a good idea, there is the humidity issue, as you mentioned, but there is also the fact that if it is smaller & it moves, the BD may think the fish are food. Could be stressful attempting to get at them. May not be, but if it is, could easily be cured by blocking the view from that side of the enclosure.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
you are right i didnt even think of that, the smaller of the fish is about four inches, but rather not run the risk of the stress, i thought it would be nice to have them side by side for their sake, but dont wanna risk the stress.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
you are right i didnt even think of that, the smaller of the fish is about four inches, but rather not run the risk of the stress, i thought it would be nice to have them side by side for their sake, but dont wanna risk the stress.
Just put a background between the two blocking the view. It's not a biggie ;) That's what I do with my two beardie vivs and it seems to work well.

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
I have ordered from Pet Mountain, there pricing is usually very hard to beat, often have specials on product & shipping. If I'm not mistaken, they offer a constant standing offer of free shipping US wide on orders +$75.

I agree that Pet Mountain is a great place to buy the majority of supplies you will need. They ship fast too!

Latest posts