• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question???

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
i have a fifty five gallon aquarium, i was wondering if i can use the fluorescent light strip for the uvb light, was just wondering if i swap the bulbs that are already in there for the uvb fluorescent bulbs, the light strip is 48 inches long and it holds two 24 inch bulbs. thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes any fluorescent fixture will do, that will accept the bulb. You could put one UVB bulb on the basking end & a regular Fluorescent on the other. I just use ordinary under the cabinet fixtures for my UVB in all my enclosures :p. Just be sure that any plastic covers are removed, as UVB can not pass through solid filters such as Glass or Plastic.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
ok this is another question then since you brought up that the uvb can not pass through solid filters, will the uvb light pass through a screen cover on top of the tank, or would it be better to just buy basking light that has uvb in it???? i am a little worried since its a fifty five gallon tank that the bd will not get enough uvb light.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
ok this is another question then since you brought up that the uvb can not pass through solid filters, will the uvb light pass through a screen cover on top of the tank, or would it be better to just buy basking light that has uvb in it???? i am a little worried since its a fifty five gallon tank that the bd will not get enough uvb light.
UVB will pass through a screen, it has little holes ;). Course, it does filter out a bit of it which is why you need to make the basking spot fairly high and keep it on the same side as the basking light.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
have the basking spot 6 to 10 inches from the basking light, from what i have seen on other people post, basking temps no more then 105 for adults, and for juvenilles 105 to 115? is what i've seen, and then the cool side of the tank should be about 80 degrees, and for night time shouldn't let the tank drop below 65? if i am wrong please let me know.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB should also be above the basking spot in order to give it coverage, because if the temps are setup properly, that is where it will spend the majority of it's time & can be close enough for it to be effective.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
have the basking spot 6 to 10 inches from the basking light, from what i have seen on other people post, basking temps no more then 105 for adults, and for juvenilles 105 to 115? is what i've seen, and then the cool side of the tank should be about 80 degrees, and for night time shouldn't let the tank drop below 65? if i am wrong please let me know.
Sounds like you're on the right track! I love a keeper who does their research before hand ;).

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
germ i am gonna take your advice and just put the uvb bulb just on the basking side, and then use the normal light that is in the fixture for the cool side, and thanks aleena, one of my friends has a cousin that has a uvb reader or tester that i will be able to use when i set everything up to see what readings i am getting with the uvb light. i would rather take the time and do research and have a healthy bd then a sick one and high vet bills.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
germ i am gonna take your advice and just put the uvb bulb just on the basking side, and then use the normal light that is in the fixture for the cool side, and thanks aleena, one of my friends has a cousin that has a uvb reader or tester that i will be able to use when i set everything up to see what readings i am getting with the uvb light. i would rather take the time and do research and have a healthy bd then a sick one and high vet bills.
Careful, even normal lights put off heat! Sometimes we can't avoid going to the vet no matter how hard we try to provide everything for them, unfortunately. Most BD's thrive under the proper care though.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
the lights that are in fixture are cool to the touch so to say, well i can put my hand on the lights them selfs and leave my hands their, the tank i am gonna use was my first fish tank, when i started out with the cichlids, then i moved up to the 150 gallon, but yes i am gonna get a digital themometer, with a prone for the basking side and the cool side, and yes sometimes their are things u cant avoid no matter what you do.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
i would like to thank both of you, for answering my questions, i've been going thro some many of these fourms and see that you both on are like 90 % of the ones i've read. and i feel comfortable with you advise. oh and i dont know if you guys know about bigapplesupplies.com i am gonna order all my lights and fixtures and digit therometers from them. and they have alot of videos explaining what the product actually does, that as well has been very helpful to me.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i would like to thank both of you, for answering my questions, i've been going thro some many of these fourms and see that you both on are like 90 % of the ones i've read. and i feel comfortable with you advise. oh and i dont know if you guys know about bigapplesupplies.com i am gonna order all my lights and fixtures and digit therometers from them. and they have alot of videos explaining what the product actually does, that as well has been very helpful to me.
You're very welcome! Happy to help, and thank you for the link. Usually when I need a light or a fixture, I need it today though, lol! Since I'm already established, it's usually because I broke it :confused:. I go through uvb's usually before they're due to be replaced because I'm a clutz.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
anytime, i was looking at pecto and petsmart online and looking at their products for bd and i didnt like alot of the reviews i was seeing people post about the fixtures and the bulbs, people where saying that they are junk dont last every long, so i started to look else where, found the big apple website, and today i was actually thinking that to myself that alot of the reviews could be from people that are ruff on the product and not careful with it. lol from time to time i can be a clutz myself.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You're quite welcome & I will echo Tammy's comment on researching & setting up properly prior to the actual BD purchase.
icon_thumright-1.gif

I haven't checked out Big Apple for some time now, so am unaware of their pricing & shipping charges. Once you find the product or type of product that you are looking for, it may be worth your while to check out Pet Mountain also, for pricing & shipping.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
ok thank you for the link, and yes i thought big apple prices where high on somethings, but then again i dont know much about prices on anything to do with bd as i am new, just liked the videos they had to explain some products, gave me a better idea of how things should be set up and what the product does. but i will for sure look at pet mountain tomorrow and compare the prices on the products

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
lol know im a pain the ___, but one more question, i live in wisconsin, and my set up is gonna be in the basement, and with the tank being a fifty five gallon with a height of twenty one inches, do you think i should go for hundred watt basking light and ceramic heat, or if i should go for the one fifty watt?

bb66

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have ordered from Pet Mountain, there pricing is usually very hard to beat, often have specials on product & shipping. If I'm not mistaken, they offer a constant standing offer of free shipping US wide on orders +$75.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
lol know im a pain the ___, but one more question, i live in wisconsin, and my set up is gonna be in the basement, and with the tank being a fifty five gallon with a height of twenty one inches, do you think i should go for hundred watt basking light and ceramic heat, or if i should go for the one fifty watt?
:( can't answer that one very well without knowing the general temps in your basement. Try the 100 and see if the temps keep up in the basking spot. I'm down to a 50 watt already, the 75 is getting way too hot!

Latest posts