• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about sand

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I want to change Draco's enclosure and use play sand. As far as I know I can get this at Home Depot correct? I know I need to strain it to get all the big pebbles out. He's currently on a reptile carpet but when he tried to back up he always has to lift his tail up cuz it gets caught on the carpet. He's plenty big enough, 16 inches. Is there anything else I need to do with it? Do I leave the temperature the same as it is now? I know the sand is going to get warmer than his carpet gets and I want to make sure he's not going to get too hot.

MattRVN

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just be carefully using play sand as if the BD swallows it it acts like concrete and blocks the guts. I have seen a few of these and they don't always turn out well.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just be carefully using play sand as if the BD swallows it it acts like concrete and blocks the guts. I have seen a few of these and they don't always turn out well.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
I would like you to show 2 of these instances that you 'Have Seen' where straight Strained Play Sand has been proven the cause of impaction. By your description of what you mistakenly say it can do, you are confusing it with Calci-Sand. I have used Children's Washed Play Sand in all of my enclosures for just about 12 years now, for all of my BDs 10+" nose to tip of tail, as have many, many long time owners.

Of course if you use Gravel, well that's not the Sand's fault, that is just plain 'Poor Husbandry'.

@ashley7988 - you are correct, it can be found at Home Depot & most other large hardware stores or garden centers. Be sure to strain it prior to putting it in the enclosure, to be sure all the larger Pebbles are removed. I often use the screen top from an enclosure as a strainer.

Good Luck

Last edited:

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much Germ! I leave the temp. in his enclosure the same as well? It stays between 100-105 in there. I know sand gets warmer to the touch than his carpet does. He spends a lot of time running around, I just wanna make sure he's not going to be too hot. I feel like this is a dumb question, but for peace of mind I have to ask =P

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
A lot of us have slate tile in our enclosures, I couldn't imagine play sand getting any hotter then slate tile Ashley. Just remember never to use Repti-sand or Calci-sand as THEY will cause impaction. The thing with those is they act like "kitty litter" and clump up. Not only does it cause impaction, but it leaves your BD dehydrated because it just absorbed all the needed fluids in your BD.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Bushmaster! I'm going to get the play sand at Home Depot tomorrow. I didn't think about the slate tiles being hot like the sand. I've been nervous about putting him on sand but I know people use it all the time and have no problems. The play sand I found was quikrete washed play sand so I'm assuming that is the one! The repti-carpet he uses now is just hard to clean and the crickets get stuck to it and so does Draco, his nails stick to it sometimes. Its definitely time for a change.

Latest posts