• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Juvenile Feeding (Greens)

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't have my car now to go to the store, but haven't offered BeeGee any greens yet. I read the beautifuldragons list of things to feed and the Blue occasionally is all I could find in my house until I can run a trip to the store. Is a peeled apple okay? I think I have bell pepper too (green) am I allowed to combine them? also should they be minced?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay thank you so much. :) I gave him some greens from my moms garden that he seemed to enjoy

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Salad should be offered daily and a variety of greens and veggies should exist. Here's our caresheet with some examples of foods to give. Scroll down to the bottom under Feeding.

Bearded Dragon Care

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So it is to my understanding then that juvies can eat everything that adults eat? Just cut into smaller portions?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As a general rule, all food should be no larger than the space between their eyes.

Can you remind me how old your dragon is?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've cut my collards very small but they still seem a bit big. To add about his age, I'm not sure. I will email the guy I got him from and ask. I just bought him some yellow squash and collards, he ate some but I was scared it was too big so I took it out and started ripping them up smaller by hand.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
BeeGee is 4-5 weeks old the guy said. He is still moving around a lot and is still a little scared of me when I try to pick him up. I just want to give him the best diet possible because I keep hearing stories of malnourished dragons and stuff. I am having a tough time keeping track of how many crickets hes eating per day but it's probably 20 or less and it worries me. Tomorrow I'm going back to the store for more crickets and I'm also going to monitor his feeding sessions. I do not want a sudden downfall in his behavior or anything like that. Today I fed him watered down pellets, minced carrots, minced peeled apple, vigourously sliced yellow squash and chopped collard greens. He was at his food bowl a few times but didn't seem dented to me. Maybe I just had a lot in there. I also bought reptivite d3 and sprinkled some ontop of his food. I just hope im doing the right thing, sorry for being so worried...

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Dont stress bud. Just feed BeeGee as much as he will eat in 15 minutes 2-3 times per day and keep the salad available to him and you will be fine. Relo stress can take a little while to wear off with some dragons, just like people no one is like the other.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks that made me feel much better. Do you know where I can get a 40 gallon breeder for a good price?

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Petco!! Funny you asked that, I just bought a 40 gallon breeder for 40 bucks at Petco. It is the dollar a gallon sale, ends on September 2nd I believe, so if you really want a good deal I'd scoot over there. Seems the company is overstocked on aquariums.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh really? I will definitely check that out tomorrow, If I can find a 40 tomorrow I will get it, even if I dont get Beegee in right away. I feel like im not giving him the best he can get yet because I'm not buying surrounding covers or anything until I get the right sized tank so thanks for the heads up!

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Not a problem. This sale is only once a year I believe I just so happened to hear about it from an employee a week ago.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am going to have to check out this $1 per gallon tank sale.

If you can not get one at Petco for cheap keep an eye out on craigslist, I got one from there for $40

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea cheapest I have seen used on craigslist for my area is 10 dollars more than the brand new ones at Petco :)

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, I just hope the sale is in my area because my friend bought a 55 gallon for $55 not too long ago so if the sale is once a year then maybe I missed it in my area.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just bought a $40 40 gallon and my mom flipped at me when I got home so now I have to return it. I bought a 10.0 UVB bulb but they didnt have a big enough fixture so idk what to do now. Even more stress added to my life... I have to return it now but she won't help me lift it into my car... Bad day and my lil guy still doesn't have UVB

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, you have a baby! Tiny one.

You'll want to follow all the baby guidelines. 25-75 crickets daily. Ensure the crickets are no larger than the space between his eyes.

Salad daily. Most won't eat salad at first, but once they turn 1 year old, it will be his daily staple. Cut the pieces small. A food processor may help.

Latest posts