• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

problems w/heat bulb

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
okay, so i am asking all of u, wut the best heat bulb brand 2 use wud be?! bcuz i have been going thru my heat bulbs like every 3 months!!!!!! i have been using 150 watt exo terra heat bulb in a large ceramic heat omitter. it has a dimmer switch on it & i'm wondering if maybe that's wuts causing me 2 go thru em so much!!!! but i havent been using the dimmer switch the w/this last bulb(4 that exact reason) & it just burnt out this morning..i've only had it 4 like 3 months!!!!! so now i've gotta use 2 50 watt heat bulbs & his heating pad, till i get a response 2 figure out if i shud purchase a better brand bulb offline or wut?!?!

ne advice plz!!!!!!!!!!! wud be gr8ly appreciated!!!!!!

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use a regular household flood light for my heat, the reptile bulbs are no better but cost 3-4 times more.

Please, be very careful with the heating pads, Dragons can't feel heat from underneth and have been know to get burnt from the heat pads epsceally if they malfunction.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My choice is Halogen Bulbs, available at most hardware stores, much cheaper than Reptile/Pet store bulbs, more heat, brighter/whiter light, less power consumption, One75w heats my 90Gal, two (one on each side) heats my divided 200+ Gal for example (So cheaper to run too). If not banged around, last a long time also.

Dimmers almost always shorten the lives of any bulb, as the filaments are not designed to normally run at reduced power.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
most heat bulbs are not designed to be used with a dimmer switch and will not last. it is not necessary to mimic day conditions that precisely and if temps vary in the tank then find a happy medium by moving the light up or down. baskin temps can be between 100 and 115 degrees depending on age. although a dragon wont move due to a hot belly, they will move and adjust to heat from above. if bulbs are still burning out quickly, my next question would be what kind of fixture are you using and is it rated high enough for the bulbs you are using. under rated fixtures cause excess heat which shortens bulb life and can also be a fire hazard.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
well, i have my heat pad under his reptile carpet, so he's not directly in contact w/it. as i kno dragons can't sense heat from their under-side. i ended up going 2 lowe's & getting a 125 watt heat lamp for $3 & some change!!! but it wouldn't go past 85 degrees, so i turned my 50 watt bulb on as well & just barely got 2 100 degrees....they only have 125 & 250 watt bulbs at lowe's & home depot, so i guess we'll just see if this'll work, or maybe i'll have to get the higher wattage. the fixture is just a fluker's clamp lamp w/dimmer from petsmart, w/a 150 watt max. will definately not be using the dimmer ne more bcuz i switched it up so i can adjust the distance of the bulb 2 the vivarium instead.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Have you tried a normal regular clear household bulb. From what I have read anyone 60 watts and up will put out enough heat to reach 110 on basking spot.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the heat bulbs at petsmart and such are more expensive but they are tight beams meaning they direct the light and heat into a smaller space so as to optimize the basking temp. (that sounds important doesn't it?:confused:) anyway, the 150 watt basking should be a plenty. what are the dimensions of your tank or vivarium?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll mention it again, I suggest you give halogens a try, I am almost sure you will not be sorry. No trouble at all heating my enclosures with them. 105-110F @15 inches away with a 75W when ambient room temps are around 72-75F. I use 75Ws in the winter, 50Ws in the Summer when room temps are warmer.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4826/PAR-104825.html

4826_02f5f1d0ed03f9302a36e62733e1954b9628c7f2_original_x_323_1327220610.jpg

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
thanks all 4 ur replies!!!!! & richard, my vivarium is a 40g breeder tank. my house wuz built in the 70's as a guest house & it has poor insulation...bein on a lake doesn't help lol. i'm in central florida & this past winter it dropped down 2 the 20's & 30's at night a lot, 40s 2 50's during the day, even w/the heat on or fire going..my house sucks 4 holding heat, unfortunately. i have always kept pillows behind his vivarium, away from the lights of course, 2 help insulate it a little better. but neways, i got a 125w from lowe's 4 real cheap & figured it wud work. well like i said, it's still not reaching up 2 100 degrees....germ, believe i may have 2 try a halogen light. u said u have a 90g vivarium, so wut wattage u suggest i use w/my 40g?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2 questions:

1 - What are the usual/normal ambient room temps where the enclosure is?

2 - You said that the fixture is now adjustable, What is the range in inches that you can go up & down from the basking spot & is it screened?

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Right now I am using a bluedaylight bulb from Zilla. At 11" from light I was getting 106. I dropped it 1 inch and now get 104. I will report back how long it lasts. But I am wondering if your dimmer is not a cause. I had read a few places that they can cause early burnout on bulbs. You might want to look into that. I know some say they make them last longer but I would try without dimmer to see if there is a differance.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For your new Young one you should be striving for 110F @ the basking spot. BDs thrive on Bright/White light, so I always recommend white or clear bulbs. It will work, but Color Enhancement is nothing more a marketing ploy.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i use 40g tanks also and live in an old house and 160 watt bulbs do it for me. i use mvb, never tried halogens, will have to check that out

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Providing you can adjust the height for the warmer days, I would recommend a 75W or possibly a 90W (But thinking a 90W may be way too hot for a 40 gal, most days) with varying temps like that. Personally, I use 'Philips' brand bulbs, as I have found the life span longer (rated for 3000 Hrs, but I have experienced much longer than that), compared to say, Sylvania Halogens. Just a warning, as with most hot bulbs, they don't take too well to shock or being banged, though. They are said to be 'dimmable', but that generally will shorten any bulbs lifespan.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'll mention it again, I suggest you give halogens a try, I am almost sure you will not be sorry. No trouble at all heating my enclosures with them. 105-110F @15 inches away with a 75W when ambient room temps are around 72-75F. I use 75Ws in the winter, 50Ws in the Summer when room temps are warmer.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4826/PAR-104825.html

4826_02f5f1d0ed03f9302a36e62733e1954b9628c7f2_original_x_323_1327220610.jpg
You should sticky this somewhere. I had to look all over for this post again! :p

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
i am using that same bulb i have a 75w in there right now i have a 50w too but it doesnt get the right temp i also use the 75 in the summer too because i use my air condistion and my tank is a 40gbreeder tank

Latest posts