• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please come judge/critique my setup please!

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey man you made me realize I've been confusing mercury vapor and incandescent basking bulbs. They look similar and I thought that all the basking bulbs were the all in one UVA/UVB I now know that's not the case I was looking through my bulbs that I've collected this week lmao and they are all incandescent not uvb which makes sense lol I can't believe I was thinking that but now I see the error of my thought process lol Thank you. I love learning but it's not always a smooth process =)
Your welcome dude I love learning to give frank the best life ever

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm new to keeping bearded dragons and the last 4 days has been quite a learning experience and pretty expensive. I did my best to use the information available to do things right. I would like to know what you all think and see if you have any critiques or ways I can improve Freyja's setup.

Stats
40 gallon breeder
Reptisun T5H0 mounted over the screen to produce 9-15 inches of mid range UVB 3-7 (on 12 hour day/night timer)
For Basking I'm using a Flood light fluorescent 65watt and will be adding a dimmer switch today for easier dialing
Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a zilla digital pulse thermostat at 92 degrees median temperature 84F cold side daily target lowest temp 110-115 basking maximum surface temperature.
I'll be adding a fluorescent 5500-6500k light bulb to the cold side just for added appetite (UVA)
35% humidity median base humidity with an overkill dehumidifier running in the room and a fan sucking air out of the enclosure.
17 5/8ths stone tile with 100% silicone sealant well cured holding them in place

Anyone see any issues or have any improvements for me?
In picture I am using a reptisun 150 watt basking bulb which I didn't realize has UVB I now know how they work and switched it out for a UVA only basking bulb.
Horrible . No sense to have your coolside brighter then the basking side you want most visible light to instigate basking so they now bu the amount of visible light being projected Sunlight is all one thing the wavelengths dont separate. It doesn't hurt to have some shade in there . Minimum size enclosure is 4ftx2ftx2ft
. Offer some more natural decor real plants help purify the air provides food etc the fake plants are an eye sore and beardies are omnivores so do eat vegetaation so it's like your tempting fate with the plastic looking greens natural defor It adds more textures for them heres a pic of mine
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1613684143868_6768281859363418754.jpeg

See how I have the most visible light in the basking area to the far right and slowly retreating to full shade that's what you want it's called the light and shade method but more important than that is having most intense light where they bask not just slapping lights ontop a tank. Add some plants in there for multiple reasons Rocks corktubes etc give them something to Nurse their natural behaviors substrate etc Drift wood rocks etc

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Tile can damage joints after so long Should never be a permanent way of husbandry need to upgrade to something more natural no hammocks is another one that sticks out they relieve all joints of pressure and youd want that more with such a hard surface at all times 40gal is not big enough!

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Horrible . No sense to have your coolside brighter then the basking side you want most visible light to instigate basking so they now bu the amount of visible light being projected Sunlight is all one thing the wavelengths dont separate. It doesn't hurt to have some shade in there . Minimum size enclosure is 4ftx2ftx2ft
. Offer some more natural decor real plants help purify the air provides food etc the fake plants are an eye sore and beardies are omnivores so do eat vegetaation so it's like your tempting fate with the plastic looking greens natural defor It adds more textures for them heres a pic of mine View attachment 25945
See how I have the most visible light in the basking area to the far right and slowly retreating to full shade that's what you want it's called the light and shade method but more important than that is having most intense light where they bask not just slapping lights ontop a tank. Add some plants in there for multiple reasons Rocks corktubes etc give them something to Nurse their natural behaviors substrate etc Drift wood rocks etc
Dude for a baby 40 gallons is fine but when they get to 12-15 months you need at least a 75 gallon but better a 120 gallon

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Tile can damage joints after so long Should never be a permanent way of husbandry need to upgrade to something more natural no hammocks is another one that sticks out they relieve all joints of pressure and youd want that more with such a hard surface at all times 40gal is not big enough!

Dude for a baby 40 gallons is fine but when they get to 12-15 months you need at least a 75 gallon but better a 120 gallon
75 gallon isn't even the minimum 4ftx2ftx2ft even a 120 gallon isn't deep enough at 18inches wide . 4ftx2ftx2ft is the minimum yes even for a baby that's what u start with and strive do give them a bigger home I can see his life in a 40gal and 75gal for awhile is poor housing. These creatures can run 9mph can climb trees etc never is a gallon big enough

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You cant even create a nice tempature gradient in a 40 gallon it'll be hot throughout take couple steps at 8 inches and they walked afar as they are allowed to. you need atleast 4ft to have the basking zone a warm side and a coolside to the farthest of the bask zone you can achieve a good gradient in a 40gallon fishtank . 2ft height is the minimum height no exceptions these guys are vigorous climbers and they are much more arboreal when young so dont pull that their small so small enclosures no when young they are more adapt to climbing I wish my Enclosure was 3ft after having a 2ft for so long I realise is not big enough . That bein said the sizes you said is nowhere near the size if you wanna house something in those sizes get a leopard gexko

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You cant even create a nice tempature gradient in a 40 gallon it'll be hot throughout take couple steps at 8 inches and they walked afar as they are allowed to. you need atleast 4ft to have the basking zone a warm side and a coolside to the farthest of the bask zone you can achieve a good gradient in a 40gallon fishtank . 2ft height is the minimum height no exceptions these guys are vigorous climbers and they are much more arboreal when young so dont pull that their small so small enclosures no when young they are more adapt to climbing I wish my Enclosure was 3ft after having a 2ft for so long I realise is not big enough . That bein said the sizes you said is nowhere near the size if you wanna house something in those sizes get a leopard gexko
Due chill we appreciate the info ok. I am going to upgrade to a 4x2x2 enclosure in December when the time comes. right now my baby is in a 40 gallon and is doing great. I have lots of things to climb on and he enjoys backing. People do need to upgrade there enclosures but a 40 gallon is fine for a baby and juvenile

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
. Offer some more natural decor real plants help purify the air provides food etc the fake plants are an eye sore and beardies are omnivores so do eat vegetaation so it's like your tempting fate with the plastic looking greens natural defor It adds more textures for them heres a pic of mine View attachment 25945
Nice setup, As such a youngster using anything more complicated risks her health. She is only two months old and weighs 6.3 grams. Live plants and soil are too risky until she is bigger. As far as light/dark full gradients it's a 40 gallon breeder and she hangs out in the bright side all day anyways at her age she likes to be around 92 degrees. How often did your dragon hangout in the dark side when they were young and how would having a dark side in the day even make any environmental sense? As far as my setup being horrible I'm not so sure your information comes from a place of wisdom and more seems to come from a place of arrogance. I will be building her a custom enclosure when she is bigger. My plans are to have something big enough that she can run around and stay active if she would like. I like live plants and active soil but I won't be pulling this off until it makes sense to especially with such an arid environment and it being a 40 gallon breeder. Your setup looks awesome btw thanks for the information I agree with your setup and concept for an adult dragon but definitely not for a 2 month old that came to us with a respiratory infection and eye troubles. It's gonna be pretty fun to set something awesome up as soon as she is well established and not at so much risk of illness/injury. I plan to build an enclosure that is 3.5 foot deep 3.5 foot tall and 6-8 foot long for her when she is well established and ready.

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nice setup, As such a youngster using anything more complicated risks her health. She is only two months old and weighs 6.3 grams. Live plants and soil are too risky until she is bigger. As far as light/dark full gradients it's a 40 gallon breeder and she hangs out in the bright side all day anyways at her age she likes to be around 92 degrees. How often did your dragon hangout in the dark side when they were young and how would having a dark side in the day even make any environmental sense? As far as my setup being horrible I'm not so sure your information comes from a place of wisdom and more seems to come from a place of arrogance. I will be building her a custom enclosure when she is bigger. My plans are to have something big enough that she can run around and stay active if she would like. I like live plants and active soil but I won't be pulling this off until it makes sense to especially with such an arid environment and it being a 40 gallon breeder. Your setup looks awesome btw thanks for the information I agree with your setup and concept for an adult dragon but definitely not for a 2 month old that came to us with a respiratory infection and eye troubles. It's gonna be pretty fun to set something awesome up as soon as she is well established and not at so much risk of illness/injury. I plan to build an enclosure that is 3.5 foot deep 3.5 foot tall and 6-8 foot long for her when she is well established and ready.
It's all good anyways Just don't gotta be rude about it. People tend to hear ya out when you are fair.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mines been in bio since she was shown to be a a strong out the egg . Studies have shown beardies in a bio has more strong immune systems and are less preceptable to illness live plants arent risky thats what they're spossed to eat from birth you simpleton my girl always goes in and out the shade to thermoregulate you wouldn't have any idea the dusk and dawn behaviors I see she defiently explores the dark bust at dawn and hunts alot which gives her tons of movement and thinking. I agree you want it atleast 3ft tall mine isn't and I wish it was becuase with the deep soil 2ft simply is barely enough I'd say go 4 feet so you can have a nice 10inch soil but still have that 3ft of above land and even for taller and more vigorous plants gotta be aware of how your gonna light up something and have correct gradients in something massive mines a 180 gallon I have a whole breakdown of my arid bio in Lunas Mansion . No arrogance here just preaching for the welfare of the animal . 40gals is too small . I started mine out in a 4ftx2ftx2ft and is in a 6ft2ftx2ft I would like to improve and upgrade her space but am not financially ready for such a purchase

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mines been in bio since she was shown to be a a strong out the egg . Studies have shown beardies in a bio has more strong immune systems and are less preceptable to illness live plants arent risky thats what they're spossed to eat from birth you simpleton my girl always goes in and out the shade to thermoregulate you wouldn't have any idea the dusk and dawn behaviors I see she defiently explores the dark bust at dawn and hunts alot which gives her tons of movement and thinking. I agree you want it atleast 3ft tall mine isn't and I wish it was becuase with the deep soil 2ft simply is barely enough I'd say go 4 feet so you can have a nice 10inch soil but still have that 3ft of above land and even for taller and more vigorous plants gotta be aware of how your gonna light up something and have correct gradients in something massive mines a 180 gallon I have a whole breakdown of my arid bio in Lunas Mansion . No arrogance here just preaching for the welfare of the animal . 40gals is too small . I started mine out in a 4ftx2ftx2ft and is in a 6ft2ftx2ft I would like to improve and upgrade her space but am not financially ready for such a purchase
I feel ya you know if you weren't so rude people would respond better to you. Anyways i like some of the things you've done with your setup but if you insult me anymore I will be done talking to you.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I feel ya you know if you weren't so rude people would respond better to you. Anyways i like some of the things you've done with your setup but if you insult me anymore I will be done talking to you.
We are sorry if we were rude. This community is great and don’t want to insult you. We are just trying to get are opinions across. No hart feelings

Latest posts