• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please come judge/critique my setup please!

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to keeping bearded dragons and the last 4 days has been quite a learning experience and pretty expensive. I did my best to use the information available to do things right. I would like to know what you all think and see if you have any critiques or ways I can improve Freyja's setup.

Stats
40 gallon breeder
Reptisun T5H0 mounted over the screen to produce 9-15 inches of mid range UVB 3-7 (on 12 hour day/night timer)
For Basking I'm using a Flood light fluorescent 65watt and will be adding a dimmer switch today for easier dialing
Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a zilla digital pulse thermostat at 92 degrees median temperature 84F cold side daily target lowest temp 110-115 basking maximum surface temperature.
I'll be adding a fluorescent 5500-6500k light bulb to the cold side just for added appetite (UVA)
35% humidity median base humidity with an overkill dehumidifier running in the room and a fan sucking air out of the enclosure.
17 5/8ths stone tile with 100% silicone sealant well cured holding them in place

Anyone see any issues or have any improvements for me?
In picture I am using a reptisun 150 watt basking bulb which I didn't realize has UVB I now know how they work and switched it out for a UVA only basking bulb.

Attachments

• 20210216_100847.jpg
    20210216_100847.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210216_100929.jpg
    20210216_100929.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210216_100942.jpg
    20210216_100942.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210216_101012.jpg
    20210216_101012.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
That seems good :) Im not an expert but the UVB you have is great! I use them for mine and they are really good. Only thing tha may be a little concerning is the sand mat. If that is what it is. Just make sure there are no loose pieces. If you do notice she swallowed one watch to make sure she doesn't get impacted, babies should poo every day :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Very nice setup, whats on the leftside as a substrate? And the tile backgrounds, they’re adhered well right? Itd be bad if one caved in..i also think itd be wise to take up the sand matt, for a juvenile itd be okay but right now he’ll definitely be licking all over the place, and if one day he happens to be craving that mineral.....as soon as hes bigger you can put it in there, i like sand matts as walls but not floors (they’re impossible to clean and ull end up ruining it) , get some large sheets of high grit sandpaper 400-600, these will help wear down his claws and he wont be scratching the crud out of u and u wont have to cut his nails :) win win

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is the UVB tube bulb 5.0 or 10.0? Also I think the screen holes may be too small and it may be blocking a good proportion of the uvb, I know that Sadie says that it can block up to 30% of the uvb. Are you able to mount it on the inside of the tank?

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I ran my hand and shop vacc over the sand mat and removed loose particles but you guys are right it's definitely a choking hazard she pecks at them alot lol.
The walls are adhered with 100% silicone and the decorations hold them to the walls if the silicone were to fail. Everything is secure as it would be on your kitchen wall.
The UVB is a 10.0 bulb
The lamp reflects an additional 40%-50% (something I don't see many people realize) and this particular screen filters out 40%-50% so they cancel each other out and the uvb should be between 3 and 7 when hitting 9 to 15 inches in this setup. My Radiometer will be here tonight and I will test it for you guys so you know for yourselves I'm suspecting most people are either not providing enough or too much without even knowing it. If I wasn't running a reflective lamp such as this T5HO then I would need it mounted under the screen. I originally had it under the screen and was roasting the dragon please don't make this mistake... Thanks everyone for your replies and input I will make a few more adjustments. FYI the Zoo med thermometer hygrometer combo that is so popular on pet store setups isn't accurate in the least bit with humidity. I'd recommend buying a higher quality hygrometer without temp reading i had lowered my humidity to 20% and the zoo med combo meter said it was 35% to 60% still got a good hygrometer and it sais 22% right now. I'm curious what Sadie has to say since I've heard she is the UVB master around here =)

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Very nice setup, whats on the leftside as a substrate? And the tile backgrounds, they’re adhered well right? Itd be bad if one caved in..i also think itd be wise to take up the sand matt, for a juvenile itd be okay but right now he’ll definitely be licking all over the place, and if one day he happens to be craving that mineral.....as soon as hes bigger you can put it in there, i like sand matts as walls but not floors (they’re impossible to clean and ull end up ruining it) , get some large sheets of high grit sandpaper 400-600, these will help wear down his claws and he wont be scratching the crud out of u and u wont have to cut his nails :) win win
It's all tile floor walls and ceiling with some polished rocks laid out decoratively. No substrate other than the sand mat.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran

That seems good :) Im not an expert but the UVB you have is great! I use them for mine and they are really good. Only thing tha may be a little concerning is the sand mat. If that is what it is. Just make sure there are no loose pieces. If you do notice she swallowed one watch to make sure she doesn't get impacted, babies should poo every day :)
yeah good advice frank stalled a sand mat piece and would not eat for 2 and a half days. He was fine and ended up pooping it out.

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
yeah good advice frank stalled a sand mat piece and would not eat for 2 and a half days. He was fine and ended up pooping it out.
Hehe I am pulling it out here in a few minutes I switched my UVB 150 watt basking bulb out for a 65 watt turtle basking bulb and am thinking I should go buy a hotter UVA bulb like a flood light or something that's somewhere between these two. What do you use for your UVA basking light for frank?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hehe I am pulling it out here in a few minutes I switched my UVB 150 watt basking bulb out for a 65 watt turtle basking bulb and am thinking I should go buy a hotter UVA bulb like a flood light or something that's somewhere between these two. What do you use for your UVA basking light for frank?
I use zoo med 100 wat basking bulbs they work great and last about 1 and a half to 2 months. And if you get the value pack it’s 2 for ten bucks

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is the UVB on the 100 watt 3 foot reach or 15 inch through a wide hole mesh? I believe that's the stats for the UVB on the 150 watt basking bulb.
Uvb is not the thing that gives of heat uva is. Here a pic of uvb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 34

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Uvb is not the thing that gives of heat uva is. Here a pic of uvb
Those Basking Bulbs give off UVB too... Not just UVA.
Look at the box it sais "SUN" right?
Gotta dial in every UVB bulb if you are using them for basking bulb too. The 150 watt basking bulbs I have deliver UVB along with heat and it sounds like yours does too the chemical trapped bulbs do to my knowledge.

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes we are talking about Mercury Vapor bulbs. Basking bulbs from the pet store are mercury vapor bulbs As far as I know. I'm using a 65 watt turtle basking bulb on one lamp and finally was able to figure out how to dial the mercury vapor bulb if i want the tank hotter along with the UVB tube.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I
Yes we are talking about Mercury Vapor bulbs. Basking bulbs from the pet store are mercury vapor bulbs As far as I know. I'm using a 65 watt turtle basking bulb on one lamp and finally was able to figure out how to dial the mercury vapor bulb if i want the tank hotter along with the UVB tube.

I think you are misunderstanding me.
think I might be please send a pic of the setup

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
I thought all of the basking bulbs were the mercury vapor bulbs to be honest lmao didn't realize that some were UVA only
I

think I might be please send a pic of the setup
I think I was wrong about something. I thought all of the basking bulbs at pet shops were mercury vapor bulbs but that may just be because the ones available here were only mercury vapor bulbs i bought a 65 watt turtle UVA bulb and some flood light bulbs from the hardware store. My setup is fine man I've dialed in all the UVB with a $250 UVB meter and it's all correct she's doing great. Just didn't realize you can buy normal UVA basking lights looked yours up and it's just UVA i went ahead and order a 2pack of the ones your using. Thanks

T5HO 10.0 bulb over top wide hole mesh 9-15 inches range uvb 3-7 read reachable for her.
65 watt turtle UVA
150 watt UVB mercury vapor bulb dialed 15 inches through wide hole mesh read within 3-7
CHE far side to keep the cool side over 80 stays cool in this house around 65 so It takes work to keep the tank over 84 and hot side 90 with 110-114 basking.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I thought all of the basking bulbs were the mercury vapor bulbs to be honest lmao didn't realize that some were UVA only

I think I was wrong about something. I thought all of the basking bulbs at pet shops were mercury vapor bulbs but that may just be because the ones available here were only mercury vapor bulbs i bought a 65 watt turtle UVA bulb and some flood light bulbs from the hardware store. My setup is fine man I've dialed in all the UVB with a $250 UVB meter and it's all correct she's doing great. Just didn't realize you can buy normal UVA basking lights looked yours up and it's just UVA i went ahead and order a 2pack of the ones your using. Thanks
Lol that’s what I was trying to say no hart felling just miscommunication

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey man you made me realize I've been confusing mercury vapor and incandescent basking bulbs. They look similar and I thought that all the basking bulbs were the all in one UVA/UVB I now know that's not the case I was looking through my bulbs that I've collected this week lmao and they are all incandescent not uvb which makes sense lol I can't believe I was thinking that but now I see the error of my thought process lol Thank you. I love learning but it's not always a smooth process =)

Latest posts