• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Placing of uvb and heat

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
so I was researching about UVB and it says the fixture has to be inside the tank and 8-10 inches from the basking accessory. But my Beardies heat source goes through a mesh lid. So if I move his basking rock 8-10 inches away then he would get less heat also? How do I make sure he gets enough heat and UVB.
Here is a picture of his basking are right now ( and ignore his uvb I know it sucks)

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
so I was researching about UVB and it says the fixture has to be inside the tank and 8-10 inches from the basking accessory. But my Beardies heat source goes through a mesh lid. So if I move his basking rock 8-10 inches away then he would get less heat also? How do I make sure he gets enough heat and UVB.
Here is a picture of his basking are right now ( and ignore his uvb I know it sucks) here are the pictures

Attachments

• F83BCE47-2362-4213-8CBE-59E758069592.jpeg
    F83BCE47-2362-4213-8CBE-59E758069592.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 2BB34AD1-0481-4B93-B0E6-E1C727A0AA86.jpeg
    2BB34AD1-0481-4B93-B0E6-E1C727A0AA86.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you using a coil? If so please get rid of it! They are inadequate-- you need a long tube fixture- what size is the tank?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes use this advice please. Also I se you have that digital thermometer I have one but don’t have the rigth batteries can you tell me what they are?

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am replacing that shortly. That is why I purchased the reptisun 10.0. I have a 40-gallon tank
Tank is nowhere near an adequate size . If you live In an area with weather nice enough to bring them outside and give them 15 minutes of sunlight at least a day will be more beneficial than that bulb running all day I'd throw it away and for the heating just buy a more powerful bulb I'm sure you don't have the best brand heat bulb and Arcadia heat bulbs are $20 or less and I have 150 gallon tank so there's no way you can't get adequate heat inside the 40 gallon. That UVB coil would barely even be beneficial for a leopard that gecko a very tiny little lizard bearded grow 18+ inches you need a LINEAR UVB FIXTURE AND FLUORESCENT BULB. ARCADIA 14% OR REPTISUN 10.0. Honestly just go with Arcadia the lighting is something you can't cheap out on Arcadia equipment isn't only stronger and more advanced it lasts longer so you inevitably save money . The only way they wouldn't have pure sunlight is if a human took them from their natural habitat to which has happened so it's only right if you have good animal welfare to provide them with not only what they need but what's best. this hobby is constantly improving and upgrading its information

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Tank is nowhere near an adequate size . If you live In an area with weather nice enough to bring them outside and give them 15 minutes of sunlight at least a day will be more beneficial than that bulb running all day I'd throw it away and for the heating just buy a more powerful bulb I'm sure you don't have the best brand heat bulb and Arcadia heat bulbs are $20 or less and I have 150 gallon tank so there's no way you can't get adequate heat inside the 40 gallon. That UVB coil would barely even be beneficial for a leopard that gecko a very tiny little lizard bearded grow 18+ inches you need a LINEAR UVB FIXTURE AND FLUORESCENT BULB. ARCADIA 14% OR REPTISUN 10.0. Honestly just go with Arcadia the lighting is something you can't cheap out on Arcadia equipment isn't only stronger and more advanced it lasts longer so you inevitably save money . The only way they wouldn't have pure sunlight is if a human took them from their natural habitat to which has happened so it's only right if you have good animal welfare to provide them with not only what they need but what's best. this hobby is constantly improving and upgrading its information.
I have mentioned that I'm replacing the UVB with a reptisun 10.0. My beardie is still pretty young that's why he is in the 40 gallon but I am a little confused with what you meant about the heating? how many watts should his heating be? and you definitely seem like an arcadia fan haha!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No 14% bulb for a 40 gallon tank the tank is not high enough for that bulb--- those bulbs are designed for tanks 24" high

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
No 14% bulb for a 40 gallon tank the tank is not high enough for that bulb--- those bulbs are designed for tanks 24" high
Sorry, I really suck at stuff like this but I'm getting some mixed signals. Is the 40 gallon too small for a juvenile beardie?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, I really suck at stuff like this but I'm getting some mixed signals. Is the 40 gallon too small for a juvenile beardie?
No he's fine but you will want to eventually upgrade to a 75 or 120 gallon-- those are more optimal for a adult dragon----- the T 5 bulb your getting will be good for your 40 + gallon it will go right into the bigger tank-

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
No he's fine but you will want to eventually upgrade to a 75 or 120 gallon-- those are more optimal for a adult dragon----- the T 5 bulb your getting will be good for your 40 + gallon it will go right into the bigger tank-
Ok, thank you so much for being clear! last question, any basking lamps you recommend?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, thank you so much for being clear! last question, any basking lamps you recommend?
Not really I use the exo terra intense 150 -- you want a bright basking white bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- when you get the T 5 please post back on here so I can help you place it--- the T 5 has options BUT it depends on the screen--

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Not really I use the exo terra intense 150 -- when you get the T 5 please post back on here so I can help you place it--- the T 5 has options BUT it depends on the screen--
My fixture should come sometime in the next week or so, I will post then.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You can use the 14% job on 40 gallon tank you just have to have the correct distance between the basking spot even in a 24 inch enclosure if you have substrate in there you don't have two feet distance you're still going to have to raise up that fixture but people Mount the 14% bulb into a 24-inch enclosure having it on top of screen is going to filter out a lot of that UVB she can just get a 12% bulb that 2% difference isn't doing nothing it's not going to cause UVB burn each square millimeter gets 98,000 Kelvin projected onto it by the sun in the wild the sun UVB raise is far more vigorous than any electric bulb could produce that they have the beardies have a protection against high uvi index a 14% bulb isn't going to cause any problem let alone if it's on top of a screen getting filtered

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Got my
Ok, thx! I think I might try that one
Got my 100 w flood halogen that's Arcadia brand for $16 you go to the pet store and buy an exotera Bulb is going to cost you way more than that and probably only last three months you can go to the dollar store buy a par38 halogen flood bulb and it's going to be better than almost all the bulbs at your brand pet store you can also use BR 40 bulbs did the par 38 bulbs you can buy and almost any store Arcadia uses par 38 flood halogen bulbs under their own design it's essentially the same thing so you're just buying an expensive bulb just cuz it has the word reptile in front of it

Latest posts