• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ODIN

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would have done the same thing Roland. I have my reasons why I'm against euthanizing reptiles so if I had Odin I would've let him live life just as you are

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Nope!! I came to the same conclusion with Yo. These guys will remember how I agonized over him. I tried just about everything that was suggested (and I am humbled by how you all stuck by me especially when I was in despair) I actually thought I was losing him a week back. But when it is his time. I will be able to accept it because I KNOW I did the best I could for him and gave him the best life he could have had. No regrets!!!

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think it's great what you're doing for him and Trip. If it's his time then it's his time and you're at least giving him chance at life and that's all anybody asks for right?

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sadly, Odin passed on last night. It may be due to the fact that we had a temperature drop overnight down to around 14/15 centigrade and he just could not handle it in his weakened state. When I put the lights on this morning he was terribly still, I even scratched him under his little chin with no result, he particularly enjoyed being scratched under the chin and would even close his single eye in rapture.
Thinking he may be cold I put him on the basking spot under the basking lamp, after about half an hour there was no change, he is definitely gone.
Worst of all, my wife seems to blame me, and says' that I should have tried to do more for him.

I cannot believe how attached we as a family became to the little fellow. Trip will now become so spoiled, you will not believe it.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My condolances to you guys.
I still cant believe it. But dont blame yourself.
You did all you could, it was just not meant to be.
We could only see the outter, and didnt know what was truly going on INSIDE.
Odins in a better place now and in peace. He had the best, loved weeks while here.

RIP Odin

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So sorry, Roland. As Monique said, it just wasn't meant to be. You wrestled with the thought....and it looks like Odin may have made the decision for you. I honestly feel you did everything possible to give him the best opportunity at life. Had it not been for you, it's very possible he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

I truly feel sorry for you guys and hope the grieving process is short. My condolences.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry for your loss Roland. It's never easy to lose a pet, especially one that you had bonded so closely with. You gave him the best shot at life that anyone could ever dream of and I definitely wouldn't put yourself at fault for his passing. He is no longer suffering. He is at peace

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear. You did everything you could and he was lucky to have had you

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey....don't blame yourself. Like LK said, this was probably a neurological problem and most likely nothing could have been done. You gave him the best shot.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Remember what I said about NO REGRETS!!! You did all you could. And like Monique said. We only can see what is on the outside. There may have been other unseen problems as well!!

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank You All for the kind words. It does soften the blow somewhat knowing the moral support is available, the loss however will not easily be forgotten.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am so sorry to hear this. You are in our thoughts. It is never easy to loose a loved one. Rest assured that you did your best, you have him the best shot at life. Now, he is in a better place.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awwww Roland, you know you did the best you could do and made every attempt to give him a happy, albeit short, life. Take solace in the thought that he's feasting in lizard-Valhalla right now. Our thoughts are with you.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss, you and your family will be in our thoughts during this difficult time, rest in peace dear Odin...

Latest posts