• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ODIN

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The little guy on the right is Trip. The back leg facing us in the pick is the one that never developed properly.
The leg is actually a light tan in colour like the rest of him. I have also noticed what seems to be a severe spinal kink almost at the base of the tail. It does not seem to hamper him however as he scuttles around, jumps on and off the log in his enclosure and hunts and catches crix very successfully.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Despite their handicaps they seem to be doing wonderfully Roland. Good job with them!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
The little guy on the right is Trip. The back leg facing us in the pick is the one that never developed properly.
The leg is actually a light tan in colour like the rest of him. I have also noticed what seems to be a severe spinal kink almost at the base of the tail. It does not seem to hamper him however as he scuttles around, jumps on and off the log in his enclosure and hunts and catches crix very successfully.

Vesta has one that is hand-capable. His spine is very twisted, but if you ask her, it only adds to his personality. She absolutely LOVES him. Here's a pic of Yoshi....a.k.a. Yo-man.
JoshuaandKatiewithRainbow002.jpg

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think that the way they deal with their handicaps should be an inspiration to all of us.
And what you are saying is totally true as well, they are remarkable little characters and definitely have a special place in the family.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
I think that the way they deal with their handicaps should be an inspiration to all of us.
And what you are saying is totally true as well, they are remarkable little characters and definitely have a special place in the family.

So true, Roland! They're definitely an inspiration...

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
:) I'm so happy that Odin is doing well! I feel like I have a connection with the little guy... Probably because I suggested the name. XD
Send him love from dear Auntie Val and give him extra greens for me, haha!

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey ALL....

Craiger just gave me the heads up that he had posted a pic of my wonderful Yo-man!!!

He REALLY is one cool dragon. He does not know that he looks any different from my other 2 and has a spunky attitude and always looks and acts like he knows what's going on around him. He is much loved around here.

I encourage you to listen up to the advice given to you and try those things that might work. I will tell you it was not until this last year that I have finally been able to accept that my special needs dragon just might live to be an old man dragon. He just turned 3 in November. I believe he knows just how much I love him and "acts up" once in a while just for the attention. Please keep posting pics of your special guy so we can keep "OOOOOing and ahhhhing" over his progress!!!

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I definitely will. Trip is normal on the inside, s/he just looks a bit different is all.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
People, I write this with a heavy heart and a lump in my throat.
I noticed ODIN thrashing around in anti clockwise circles last night, this went on for more than just a few minutes.
I am seriously thinking of euthanasing the little guy, it breaks me to see when he does this.

Please help me to make decision here.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh geez.....this is never good. On one hand, you want to give him the best chance at life. Yet, just how good would that life be if allowed? This is a tough one....and one I'm never envious of. I feel for you, Roland. Honestly, it's heartbreaking. I think only you can make that decision given the circumstances. Just know that whatever you decide, I will support you.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
People, I write this with a heavy heart and a lump in my throat.
I noticed ODIN thrashing around in anti clockwise circles last night, this went on for more than just a few minutes.
I am seriously thinking of euthanasing the little guy, it breaks me to see when he does this.

Please help me to make decision here.

Criminey. if that's neurological Roland, it's Not reversible. any chance you give a better description?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am so sorry to hear this. You are in our thoughts as you are faced with this difficult journey.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh no! :( I'd keep an eye on him to see if this happens again. If he seems to be doing it too much, then it could be a neurological issue. But then again... we as people raise children with many different physical and mental dissabilities, and usually they cannot voice their condition either. But they still deserve a chance at life. I say just keep him comfortable as can be, and as long as he is still eating and doing normal beardie things, we can assume he is having a decent life, right? ???

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Was it frustrated thrashing or did it look more like involuntary spasms? Maybe it has something to do with his one eye... depth perception, maybe?.. and maybe he was just uncomfortable for a few minutes... If he's still eating and behaving normally other than that, I'd give him another chance. :(

Would a trip to the vet possibly change anything?

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I did over the weekend witness this again. On the other hand I have seen the little guy at various spots of the enclosure, so he obviously does get around. This in itself led me to a decision, who am I to take the little guys' life, if he is going to die, then let it be on his terms, in his time. It is left to me to provide for him to the best of my ability in the mean time.
I just hope that you all do not think of me as being selfish in coming to this decision.

Latest posts