• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New 75 gallon enclosure heating issue

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Help!!! I moved Slice from his 29 gallon tank this morning to his new 75 gallon home. I can not seem to get the temp up. At most right now it's 94 that's only because I put a regular home light bulb in one of the domes. Should I put another in the other side too? Or do I need to go buy a higher wattage reptile bulb? He's already having adjustment issues I don't need a sick beardie too.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It stands to reason that if you are trying to heat a larger enclosure that a hotter bulb will be necessary. I'd get the temps up at the basking spot first of all, the cool side will quite often follow suit, if not, then you may need a low wattage bulb to supplement the cool side. In a 75 gal you will likely need something that radiates further than a regular household bulb, personally I use Halogen flood lamps available at any hardware store for quite often less than half the price of a pet store bulb & cheaper to run too.

Good Luck

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much I was just reading about putting the halogen in there. What wattage would you recommend?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hard to say without knowing your ambient room temps etc. I would try a 75W Halogen Flood, it's a tall tank, I don't think it would be too hot. May just have to adjust the Basking spot up, down or a bit off to the side.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Be sure that your fixture has a porcelain socket or at least is rated for 100-150+W. They are hot bulb ...

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
It does it's the mini combo deep fixture from Petco. I have the bulb in now just waiting to see what happens :)

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
It's only up to 100 degree's. I'm stressed about it all so I know he is too. How long does it take for him to get used to it? I think I need to cover the sides of it too. He keeps running over to the sides and rubbing his nose back and forth.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just leave him, he'll get used to it on his own time, any change in environment can have a week to 10 day acclimation period. Do you have the halogen in now? How far away is the basking spot & are you taking your temps directly at the basking spot? What type of thermometer are you using?

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I have the halogen and the original lamp from the pet store both in the dual fixture. It's still at 100 degree's. The basking spot is about 7 1/2-8 in away. The thermometer is probably at about 4 inches away from the light. I'm using a digital thermometer. I went ahead and covered the two sides so maybe he'll quit the pacing back and forth.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The pacing thing & glass dancing is normal, it's what BDs do, if you keep messing with it & changing things, it will only make it worse, stress it out more, then it will have to go through it all over again when you uncover it. Give it some time to get used to it's new home. Is the sensor directly on the Basking Spot?

Could you post pics of your setup? I find it difficult to believe that you getting readings of 100F 4" from 75W halogen & a regular bulb, something isn't right. I get 110+F 15 " away at an angle.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I moved the thermometer it's right above the top of the stick on the left side. It's reading 104 now. I knew it wasn't reading right because he kept opening his mouth. The cover on the side was on the old tank so i'll just leave it on there. He isn't pacing anymore and he's ate a few cricket's. I also just realized he's starting to shed on his chin so maybe that has to do with his behavior.

Attachments

• 1171.jpg
    1171.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 74

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got my curiosity up so I checked mine 100F @ about 17" from a 75W halogen :confused:.

Bat & temps 006.JPG

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I posted the picture above. I just checked again and the thermometer is now reading 111 so I guess it was just the placement. Thank you so much for all the help your a life saver. I had started to regret changing him to the bigger tank.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is that a tube UVB over on the right? If it is, it's not doing it much good over there ... Nice enclosure, do the Crix hide behind the back wall?

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
It is, I ordered a 48in reptisun last night for the hood we had on it when it was a fish tank and also a 75 gallon screen cover so all the stuff on top is just pieced together right now. Should I move it over by the other lights? I usually try to "disable" the cricket's a little so they can't move as fast and hide.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would, there is little to no UVB getting to anywhere that it can get close to, unless it spends a lot of time half way up that stick or on the platform on the cool side & it shouldn't be if your temps are right. It should be spending the majority of it's time on the basking spot once it settles in, and that is what should be covered with UVB. You really don't need a 48" uvb bulb, there is only 2 or three spots in that enclosure that it can receive any benefits from it anyway. UVB has a very limited range, particularly if it is above a screen that will block out a significant amount. Your BD has to be able get within 8-10" from the bulb where it spends the majority of it's time, which should be the basking spot, or it won't receive any benefits from it.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Ok thanks I moved it over. The only time he uses the other stick is when he sleeps and all those lights are off anyway. I never thought of that it's nice to have a place to ask questions. Eventually i'll have most of it figured out lol. He seems to be doing much better considering he's running around dragging his chin on everything. He had been going to bed about 3:30 the past week or so. I'm not sure if he wants to stay awake or not sure where to sleep but it's almost 5 now.

Latest posts