• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some suggestion for substrate?

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Ok I have used sand, flannel, linoleum, and now reptile carpet from the pet store and I cannot seem to keep the crickets from getting under the substrate. Very frustrating! Does anyone recommend anything that will work for keeping insects on top of the substrate? I cannot use sand with Keena, shes too small. Thanks

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Well I did think about that but then I would have to cut it and I have no idea which tile cutters to get and I don't want to spend a fortune on a tile cutter. Dinos habitat is a 40 gallon breeder tank and Keenas is a 35" long exo terra but Dino is going back into Brumation again so right now I am just studying Keenas habiitat. What goes under her substrate right now as far as insects I have to catch them before lights out because I don't want them darn crickets feeding on her. Its a real pain.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We started feeding Dexter in a separate container because we got tired of losing the crickets on her vines and driftwood.

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i could rent a real nice cutter locally for 70$/day. they can be cut with a angle grinder(or so i read). lucky i had a friend with a cutter. i spent like $12 on 6 tile. some places will cut the tile for you if you bring in the dimensions

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i could rent a real nice cutter locally for 70$/day. they can be cut with a angle grinder(or so i read). lucky i had a friend with a cutter. i spent like $12 on 6 tile. some places will cut the tile for you if you bring in the dimensions

Some do. I know the Home Depot doesn't but heard Lowes might cut tiles. (I used to work for Home Depot).

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Noella I will measure and check out lowes tomorrow. Dreading catching those crickets this evening ....ugh

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Mine won't even touch her crickets unless it's in a critter keeper. She stares at them when they run around the bottom of her tank. They sure get spoiled quickly. :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
What about simple peel and stick tile but don't stick it?? They would be easy to cut to size. Lowe's does have a tile cutter available to use at least mine does. I loved the slate....neat and easy to clean up the poo but I switched to sand as I think it is a more natural substrate for beardies. :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Non-adhesive vinyl shelf liner is also a suitable alternative that works really well & is easy to clean.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What about simple peel and stick tile but don't stick it?? They would be easy to cut to size. Lowe's does have a tile cutter available to use at least mine does. I loved the slate....neat and easy to clean up the poo but I switched to sand as I think it is a more natural substrate for beardies. :D

I wanted to use the peel and stick tiles too. But then I realized that it had glue and it stunk. The glue might affect the bearded dragon more and it might release harmful fumes and chemicals. (Even if it stays covered.) I'm thinking of buying some slate tiles at the Home Depot sometime in the future. Maybe that'll be easier to clean. :)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use the slate and to solve the cutting problems i just went with smaller tiles and they fit a 40-gal; breeder perfect.And no crix; gets missed as i had that problems with crix; as well. The substrate was getting more crix; then the dragon baby until i went with tiles. I used a 4-6-tile and have to buy quite a few but worth it in the end. Hope this helps you all some.-river-7

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Smaller tiles...that sounds like a good idea instead of getting those big tiles. A friend of mine gave me some slate tiles from out behind his shed. Those slate tiles were exposed to all kinds of weather and bugs. Who knows how long they've been out there. I looked at them the other day and thought, "I could use these as outside slate tiles." So that's what I did. Now we need to secure them down with cement. I wouldn't dream of putting them into Allie's tank. I just don't feel safe with them. They've got rust and old mastic or something on the bottoms. Some look great. Others look horrible. I wonder if these slate tiles were in the bathroom or kitchen once upon a time. :)

I'll be looking at the smaller tiles then.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Securing them down in the viv? I'm not sure. I've heard people securing them with grout. :confused: I'm planning on the ones that I placed outside as a floor.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I didn't secure my slate tiles and when I added sand it just went on top of the tile. Lowes and Home Depot have a place in the tile section where they clearance items. Might be able to pick up something inexpensive. Good luck!! :D

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks I am going to ask lowes about the shelf liner and about cutting tiles for me and see which I prefer. Oh Keena is easily eating 30 - 1/2" crickets a day and some dubia nymphs. Shes a piggie

Pat B

Super Moderator
Wow! Miss Piggy is lovin' life!! I am lucky if Spike will eat 30 crickets in 3 days!! He is a very weird boy. Stayed in his corner propped up on his feet all day yesterday. Didn't eat one cricket and owes me a poop!! Go figure!! :D

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I use the slate and to solve the cutting problems i just went with smaller tiles and they fit a 40-gal; breeder perfect.And no crix; gets missed as i had that problems with crix; as well. The substrate was getting more crix; then the dragon baby until i went with tiles. I used a 4-6-tile and have to buy quite a few but worth it in the end. Hope this helps you all some.-river-7
Are you talking about the smaller kick plate tile like in a bath room or on kitchen walls behind a sink?

Latest posts