• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My set up

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Look you want a picture of the recept I just payed 60 for a 20 tank, i can happily post a picture if youd like. And it was at petsmart FYI.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Look you want a picture of the recept I just payed 60 for a 20 tank, i can happily post a picture if youd like. And it was at petsmart FYI.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070848
if you had simply looked online you probly would have a 40 breeder for half price i got mine with stand and lights for 100 and its not cheap where i live im simply trying to say research before you buy

check the return policy and see if you can bring it back

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A 20 Gal will do quite nicely for the time being, as has been mentioned & you are aware of, a larger enclosure will be necessary as it grows. You will have to Play with the wattage of bulb necessary to bring your temps up to par. There are many variables, type of bulb, distance to basking spot, screen, no screen, ambient room temps, etc. All will factor in, you have to find what works for you & your setup. 150W may still be too hot for basking on a tank 12" tall. But you now have a decent thermometer to check your temp right at the basking spot to guide you. Keep the UVB & Basking Bulb side by side to cover the basking spot.

Good luck & let us know how you make out with the new setup.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I did do my research and here's the recept that's what I payed and I'm getting a 40g.

At any rate he's better off in the 20 while I look for a 40. As it could take a few weeks to find one on my Craigslist or something of the like.

I am being honest with you as this recept shows, I would not expect such a spot light being put on me by a member being here just 3 days, it's like I'm not trust worthy before you even know. You assumed I was lying and I am not.

be60d8b5.jpg

700fc2e3.jpg

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
A 20 Gal will do quite nicely for the time being, as has been mentioned & you are aware of, a larger enclosure will be necessary as it grows. You will have to Play with the wattage of bulb necessary to bring your temps up to par. There are many variables, type of bulb, distance to basking spot, screen, no screen, ambient room temps, etc. All will factor in, you have to find what works for you & your setup. 150W may still be too hot for basking on a tank 12" tall. But you now have a decent thermometer to check your temp right at the basking spot to guide you. Keep the UVB & Basking Bulb side by side to cover the basking spot.

Good luck & let us know how you make out with the new setup.
I understand, right before lights out the temp on his basking rocks was 105.5F and cool side was at 85.8F

I'm actually even considering building my own tank, as I have the tools that would be needed, and it's cheaper

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I understand, right before lights out the temp on his basking rocks was 105.5F and cool side was at 85.8F

I'm actually even considering building my own tank, as I have the tools that would be needed, and it's cheaper
Look up the specs on that to be sure it would be cheaper. I've heard $300+ for build it yourselves... granted, you have a tank you never have to worry about the workmanship on and I really like the way they look!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ply wood, plexie glass, doesn't seem that costly to me.
I don't know much about building them, but I know you need vents. If it's not as pricey as I thought it was then all the better and maybe I should become a carpenter overnight lol :) my dad has all the tools.... hrmmm... nope, not ambitious enough.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have honey bee's and have built the honey supers and hive bodies, as well as a nifty screen porch for them at the top of the hives.

A tank should not be too much trubble, I'm going to look into it and watch some YouTube vids about it

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Umm... scratch that... that was a what was I thinking moment... You would need different lighting more than likely for a larger tank setup...

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would need more lighting yes, maybe another 100watt and fixture.

$230 seems like a lot, pretty sure if me and my father build it ourselves we can do it for $100 maybe a little more.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
48 inch acrylic sheet-35
1 fixture-20 wired
1 36 inch t8-40
slate tile-5
1melamine-40
food bowls-10
bricks-4
reptisun-30
screws-5
75watt flood-10
house bulb-5
2 6 inch 4 foot borders for front-n/a
ge silicone 1 bottle-5
3 inch drill bit circluar-10
5 vents-20
base setup i might be missing a few things

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
would you rather be in jail or on house arrest?
well its a open forum and ill continue to comment because your not being honest unless you live in beverly hills
i have concerns about kids owning these animals if you dont have the money for a $40 tank i dont see how your feeding it $60 a month not trying to pick on you im just stating concerns
These are on the verge of being inappropriate & calling him a liar with no foundation at all. Please keep your stereotypes & prejudices towards different age groups than yourself - to yourself. This young man is doing quite well at upgrading his BDs enclosure & bringing it to meet it's requirements very quickly.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, Dude. Don't get discouraged, what you have will suffice for now. I'm really sorry that you had to defend yourself to Silverado, every now & again we get someone on here that thinks they know it all & has to be heard.

@ Silverado, you need to check your attitude before you sign in from now on.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's ok, I'm going to keep my head up. Im glad what I have will work. Actually I just found a add for a 80 gallon tank with three shelf wooden stand, lights, heater pads and so on for $100. Just hoping that no one else see's the add so I can get it.

80 gallons is huge!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a really good deal & it will provide your dragon with more than enough room. Keep in mind, with that large of a space, additional lighting may be needed for temps. Don't use any heat pads, they can seriously injure your little dragon. Also, when a used enclosure is used to house your dragon, sterilization & cleaning is very important beforehand.