• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first dragon and enclosure build

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
I received a beardy from a buddy that past away. He is now 16" long and I only had a 20 gallon tank to house him. Well I got my wife to agree to let me build a tank vs buying one on one condition. It had to look like furniture that belonged in the lv rm. so I know some people think my building style and technique might be over kill but this enclosure will last my lifetime. It is 48"x24"x24". I used a water based stain and sealer. Ceramic tile. There is a hidden wall that runs all wires and the top is big enough to hide all light fixtures and switches. I still need to design a hinged style vent lid and run all electrical. I will update more progress pics as it comes along. I want honest opinions on it please.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360004389.906864.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360004425.901558.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360004443.151685.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360004461.118028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360004510.451483.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome2a.jpg

Your design & craftsmanship are exceptional, very well thought out. Providing that you can install adequate venting get & proper fixture positioning, it appears that it has the potential to be super functional & is extremely attractive.
icon_thumright-1.gif

A few good links to help get you started in the proper care of your new pet ...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! My idea for the lid is Half will be solid wood screwed down ( this is need to mount lights outlets and switches too then the other half will be a hinged screen (12"x48") UVB light will be mounted to back wall and not sure where I'm putting my heat lamp. One cord will come out of the back to power everything and the heat lamp will be on a dimmer so I can control the season in the tank as well. Do you think that'll be enough ventilation? I'm planning on making my own tank furniture too just have to get tank done first.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Why couldn't you do the whole top in screen? I love the whole setup but I do think with the plexi front there would not be enough air flow. I wish I had half the building talent you have.

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. The design is really quite simple. I am adding outlets and dimmer switches to the enclosure. I need to mount them on back half of lid. I want to do a hinged screen so when I build the tank furniture I have a way to get it in and out of the tank. I just want to make sure that 12"x 48" screen top would be good enough ventilation.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
12x48 should likely provide adequate ventilation. Personally, I would add a small screened 3" circular vent low on each side to enable a bit of air flow.

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wife doesn't want screens visible. I was thinking of adding a computer fan on one corner of screen to pull air out and maybe one on other side to push air in. I will make anyone one that wants one. I will also make it to what ever specs you want. It probably be very expensive to ship though.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
The computer fan is an excellent idea! I have one of those on my Lorikeets acrylic cage and it works awesome ........wish you were closer I would get you to build me 2

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good idea as in pulling air out and one pushing air in or just pulling air out ? I don't know where your at but I'm in Ohio. Thanks for everyone's input. Once I perfect my design I'm going to go to the reptile show and try to sell some. Buy first I'm gonna help a friend build a tall free standing with a pond at the bottom.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Well for my lory I have just one pulling air out just to sortof circulate air in her cage since it is all acrylic. It does have air holes but the guy that built this cage puts these computer fans on them. He even sent me an acrylic drill bit so I could drill more holes if I needed to and I have used this drill bit more than just on my lorikeets cage so it came in handy. I got off topic just a bit...sorry. I am in MS and years ago I use to travel back and forth to Plymouth, OH , With the way gas has gone through the roof it has made me stop traveling. That was certainly a long haul back and forth years ago and I do not miss it. I love going to the Repticons, we have one coming here in May.....Can't wait!

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will go withy original idea then an add a comp fan. We have a reptile show that comes through Columbus Ohio once a month. I don't recall the name of it though. Hopefully I will get more done on the lid this weekend so I can add more pics.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am soooo jealous right now! I have a standard 40 gallon tank... but I wish I could build my own! That looks absolutely fantastic! Your new beardie is gonna love it! Welcome to the forums! :)

Schlosser

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the compliments. Yes you may borrow me. Lol sorry I haven't posted any finished pics but I was diagnosed with bladder cancer and then lost my father in law the next day to cancer. It was a horrible week. They had to rush me into surgery to remove 5 tumors. So my father in laws showing was tues, my surgery was wednesday and his funeral was Thursday. Then to top it all off I had a horrible reaction to one of the medications. All is well now and I am hoping to finish cage in the next week or two

Pat B

Super Moderator
Wow!! I am so sorry that so much has been happening in your life. It is good to hear that you are on the mend. Take your time in finishing your enclosure and posting pics. Getting yourself well and healthy is way more important....

Latest posts