• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MVB Users. Lets Chat!

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
By the way a fundamental flaw of a self ballasted mercury vapour bulb is the ballast it self. Self ballast systems in MVBs are not designed for a sudden on surge of power, nothing manufacturers can do about it it's the way the ballast itself is configured. Most street lights are either MVB or HPS lamps, now when you guys watch these thing turn on they either turn on like flouros by flickering on or by slowly getting brighter. That's a control system in the power input to the lamps to prevent the ballast from blowing. self ballasted MVBs are ideally configured with a pulse proportional switch to slowly feed the power in, when i say slow it still happens faster than what we would notice.

How many MVB users have this system in place fior their set ups, I certainly don't. :p

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't either...
They work fine though... I just got in my second set of Megas... sbs.. I'll be burning them in one by one shortly.
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Francis......
my guess is that pscaulkins location has alot to do with her experience with the bulbs. She has high altitude, little to no humidity and frequent barometric changes. That's something that affects the temps in most places right?

Does it show that i suck at the study of lighting

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Francis......
my guess is that pscaulkins location has alot to do with her experience with the bulbs. She has high altitude, little to no humidity and frequent barometric changes. That's something that affects the temps in most places right?

Does it show that i suck at the study of lighting

Yep, given that she utilises as "open top" setting, then the enclosures themselves are susceptible to all changes in environment. I personally create a micro climate and block as much outside influence as i can. Still does not explain why a bulb would over heat a 75g open top enclosure, other than the obvious fault in the bulb itself.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
Yep, given that she utilises as "open top" setting, then the enclosures themselves are susceptible to all changes in environment. I personally create a micro climate and block as much outside influence as i can. Still does not explain why a bulb would over heat a 75g open top enclosure, other than the obvious fault in the bulb itself.

I agree, I believe it is the light. Never had issues before. We do have funky barometric readings and very little humidity but never had issues like this before. Heck, when Semi and Magick were babies, I used the 100 watt T-Rex in a 20gallon long tank with no issues. I would not recommend it to anyone but it is doable if need be.

I keep open tanks so it is easy for Phil to reach in and get one. The lights are on stands so he doesn't knock them.

lynne

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi, we have recently lost a beardie thru vitamin deficiency..our vet here in the uk said the only good source of light/heat are the megaray or power sun bulbs...he said to have one of those as they are uv and uvb........plus an infrared night heat lamp and an additional ambient heat source like a mat.....if we manage to get a powersun/megaray....which wattage would we need and would we still need a uv tube light....we desperately want to get our vivs set up properly and want to flood the beardies with as much vitamin d and uv as they could possibly need...we do not want the heartache of losing another pet thru lack of knowledge...it hurts too much

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't use a heat mat what temp does your house get at night?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Lynn, You can follow my basic caresheet if you just click the lizard in my banner. Instead of using the reptisun 10, I believe the arcadia 12% is whats available there. I use a 2 light system I use fluecent tube lights for uvb and I use regular light bulbs to generate the heat thats needed. Hope this helps.

lynne

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks a lot....I am using reptisun 10 at the minute but in 6 mths i will replace it with arcadia12, the place where i get our beardie stuff does not stock arcadia so i will have to hunt about. my eldest sun bought a quite expensive uva/uvb mercury vapour which the shop uses for their reptiles...it does get quite hot...but the beardies can get to cooler spots...our herp vet said "if its not gaping at the mouth its not hot enough"...so far they seem ok...we lost our first beardie due to insufficient info so we are trying very hard to get it right for the current dragons...theres a lot of conflicting info out there and its hard to know if your doing it right lol..the other thing i need to know is about basking lamps....ours is a 120watt...we have it wired up to a habistat climate control...my eldest son says this is wrong...it shud be on all day...what do you think?

lynne

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
in winter our house is quite cold....and british summers are pretty rubbish and rarely get hot! the temperature in the tank does get quite low....60 degrees...my eldest has a night heat bulb....my youngest will be getting one this week and hopefully we will not use the heat mat

Latest posts