• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MVB Users. Lets Chat!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD MORNINGGGGGGGGGGGG MYBEARDIE.COM!!!!!!!!
Some of you know Me well and some newbies probably dont because Ive been laying low and lurking a bit more lately, be that as it may, TheFatman is always around somewhere, and this is one of those times im going to poke my head up.
Ok im cruising around my many forums this morning having been up since 330 am, and I am seeing ALOT of MVB questions and problems.
Im not talking brands or specific companys, but overall as a whole.
I personally do not use them Ive always used uvb tubes and reg bulbs for heat. I have that down to a science and im comfortable there...lol
So with all im seeing. Sell me on MVB's why do you use them? Why dont you use them? Lets get a real discussion going here.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay "Fat Man"... (you forgot the Italian part ?)

The reasons I will continue to use these are this.

3 of the 4 enclosures I have built for my kiddies were built with MVBs in mind.
To this date, I have not had any issues with basking temps nor air temps, using MVBs.

All who are under the MVBs appear to be quite content..

Cost is basically the same for a year, but I don't need to reorder these but annually.

Hope that helps out !
Janie

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pros:

-I love the combination of heat and stronger UV in one that the MVBs offer.
-I also love that the lifespan of the bulb is double that of the tube.
-I've seen a great improvement on the colors, appetite and activity of my dragons (frilled and bearded) once I switched to the MVB instead of a tube.

Cons:

-They are very fragile (the self balasted at least)
-Can be quite costly initially
-Depending on your setup still may require secondary heat
-Return policies on some brands

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The reasons that I gave up on MVB lighting:

Electrical usage is 10 times higher with a MVB than with a Tube UV and a household bulb. (friend of mine that was in the same boat as me, using 6+ mvb lights, switched em all and saw a drastic drop in electrical usage)

They seem to be very tempermental with their environment, I have had a number of them blow for no reason and well before their usage time was up.

The extreme heat that the bulb produces ambiently in the room. When I was running 6 at a time i had to purchase a stand alone AC for the reptile room because the temps would spike above 85 in the reptile room if left unchecked.

Just my reasons lol.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use both (well really all manner of heating and UV for my set ups). The only tank with the MVB is my BD tank as it is a rather large and tall tank (4x2x3). The flouros would not give me enough UV as i would need to get the dragon 2.5 feet of the ground and that won't be too feasable as then the basking light would have to be low wattage, which would be useless in tank that size for a proper thermal gradient. Oh on a side note i also mount all my lighting/heating internally.

Tom, i think the main reason for a lot of people having MVB problems of late is the fact that everyone is telling them they are the "cat's pyjamas". Technically true in a proper set up in the wrong set up they can have problems and be detrimental to a dragons health due to the heat they produce. I actually blew mine yesterday luckily enough i won't need one till August-September lol. People need to look at the space they have and set it up lighting and heating wise in the most appropriate way rather than just getting what they "percieve" to be the best.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also think one of the many problems with MVB bulbs is that people do not understand the differences between EB and SB bulbs. The longevity, the penetration, the heat...........
And from some of the posts I've seen on these bulbs, most are inclined to use a SB bulb. Not necessarily the better of the two from experience.

Francis's point on the enclosure is also a very important factor. A regular 40 breeder can't use a MVB without some elevation to the light. People tend to want to lay it down on top of a screen top. They make domes to do that? me thinks they need to check that socket.

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Francis's point on the enclosure is also a very important factor. A regular 40 breeder can't use a MVB without some elevation to the light. People tend to want to lay it down on top of a screen top. They make domes to do that? me thinks they need to check that socket.

I am not experienced :) Can you explain what you mean here?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Which part love ?

When using an MVB over a 40 breeder, you will want to use a clamp on bell fixture with ceramic base ( the part you screw into) that is clamped to say a pole, or a tall floor lamp so it (MVB) isn't sitting right above the screen (or on top of the screen) so you can still get the heat/uvb but not have issues.

Does that help out ?
Janie

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, that helps :) I figured thats what you were saying. Mine is clamped to a cupboard above the enclosure.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I used the MVB lights for 6 months. I was not as impressed with them as I thought I would be. They were either way too hot or way too cold. I could not use them in the summer at all because I have trouble keeping my upstairs cool. I read they are only good for 6 months just like the UVB. And I did not see the much taunted improvement in my beardies everyone was raving about!! For the money my UVB worked just as good or better. I can replace them for less than $25.00 every 6 months. Replacing 3 at one shot is quite an out of pocket expense for me at $65.00 a pop!!

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have used MVB lights for umm almost 6 years. At first, the T-Rex 100 Watt without any issues the first year in 40 gal breeder tanks. Then went to Mega Ray EB 60 watt series. No problem there, just added a 60 watt household bulb and it kept the temps consistent. Then went to the 100 watt SB series and that was a horrible mistake. Neither Semi or Magick would bask. Temps were were spiking. I then purchased a Powersun, Semi my hyper beardie started squinting. Found out they had issues with them so went back to the EB light. Now, Magick is in a 75 gal tank and a 100 watt T-Rex is almost to warm with no added heat. Our house has consistent temps as we have it climate controlled. What I don't understand is why is the T-Rex putting out so much heat that a 75 gal tank is almost to warm when I used to use them in a 40 gal breeder tank that had perfect temps? I think I will stick with the Mega Ray 60 watt EB series as my temps are never a problem.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
pscaulkins said:
I What I don't understand is why is the T-Rex putting out so much heat that a 75 gal tank is almost to warm when I used to use them in a 40 gal breeder tank that had perfect temps?

Wood or glass for the 75g tank?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You would think there would be less heat storage in a bigger tank. What are the dimensions of a 75g mate, I'm metric lol.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am not sure what the metric would be. :-[ It's 4' long by 18" wide and 21" high. I also don't keep screens on any tanks in my house except for my leo because she climbs out at night. I like the light stands.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
pscaulkins said:
I am not sure what the metric would be. :-[ It's 4' long by 18" wide and 21" high. I also don't keep screens on any tanks in my house except for my leo because she climbs out at night. I like the light stands.

That equates to 1.89m long x .71m deep x .83m high.

Basically, to convert inches to metric, you multiply by .03937....or divide by 25.4.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Craiger, I was hoping someone would come and convert for me. I should have looked it up but got sidetracked.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
pscaulkins said:

That is rather strange that an open top enclosure of that size would be overheating using an MVB :-\.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
That is rather strange that an open top enclosure of that size would be overheating using an MVB :-\.

That's what I say, it's got to be the bulb because our house stays the same temps year round.

Latest posts