• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Megay Issue..

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK guys, going to keep it quite short and simple, as im getting a little fed up with the "wonderful" MegaRay.

Finaly purchased a MegaRay from Animal Attractions (Australian Distributor) 2 weeks ago.
Was playing up, flickering on and off, and very dim.
Contacted Matt from Animal Attractions, said that it could have been the saftey mecanizm inside the bulb, that may have got stuck (the saftey mecanizm in the bulb that makes it turn off occasionaly when it gets to hot)
Took it back, and got a replacment.

Was working beautifuly all last week, well around 5 days.
On the weekend i noticed that it was flickering again, and making a Buzzing/clicking noise? (Is this normal? or should it not make any noise at all?)
I couldnt belive it!
So i took the bulb out and tried it in a different socket that i bought from my Hardware store. Didnt work at all!
I tested it in my bathroom lights (not sure if you have them in the US/UK but they are strong heat lights) So i took one of them out, and put in the MegaRay.
It worked perfectly, no noise, turned on straight away, left it in there for about 45mins, and no flickering nor dulling of the light.

So im guessing it could be the connection to the holder that i have it in, in the enclosure.
So it tested another bulb (just regular spot bulb) and it worked fine in the same holder that i use the Megaray in!

I just dont know what to do anymore?..
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Could it not be getting enough power?
Could it be the holder that i have it in?

Here is a pic, of what my enclosure looks like. (4ftL x 2ftW x 2.5ftH)
023.jpg

Its a 100w SB MegaRay, and a 75w spot lamp in the black holder, that comes on at 11.30am - 3.30pm to bump the temps up the 45c.
Without it, the temps are 35c on hot side, and around 21-23c cool side.
Temps are being measured with a twin probe thermometers.

And here is a pic of what i use to hold the megaray. (well similar to it!)
hs_FlangedCeramic.jpg

Now im wondering if this is an appropriate holder for the Megaray?
If it isnt does someone mind posting a one that they use, and have had no trouble with?
Also, is mounting inside the enclosure the best idea? I notice alot of people have it in a dome fixutre, with a whole cut out of the top of their enclosure..

Sorry for ranting on, but im just so annoyed and disapointed.

Cheers guys,

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah... There is your problem. I actually use a fixture rated for outdoor flood lights.
Janie

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for replying..

So looks like it could be the holder?
I actualy tested the light outside in a flood light, but same thing was happening.

Im just so lost as to why it would work in our bathroom heater slot :S

any other thoughts..?

Cheers,

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmmm No... not really, unless that particular fixture was wired for heavier wattage/amps.
Sorry ?
Janie

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thats okay, thanks fot replying anyways.

I think i might take it into a lighting place and speak to a profesional and see what he recomends and perhaps test it out while im there..

Im just stunned that it works in my bathroom and not realy anywhere else lol..

Thanks Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is the megaray and the spot light wired in the same circuit?
Are all the plugs from the enclosure plugged in to the same power point?
Are there any other appliances that use the same power outlet?

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey, havent heard from you in a while.

Umm they spot light isnt wired through the megaray.

"light bulb turns on in head"

they are both connected to a timmer (which i dont think will affect it, would it?) but they are connected from the timmer through an extension to a powerboard then into the powerpoint.

Wow talk about unsafe lol

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Mate anything else connected to the power board draining power from the circuit?

The load on the circuit from the power outlet itself may be close to max output, usually single power circuit outlet (from the wall has a 600w max output this circuit may have 1 or more actuall power ourlets on the same circuit).

Try plugging it on a wall socket that you know does'nt have much other appliances plugged into it. ie a free wall socket that does not have the TV, fridge,DVD or computer plugged into it. The wall socket needs to be on a different wall that the appliances are plugged in, so if there are two wall sockets on the wall and a lot of appliances are plugged into one socket but the other is free, don't plug your enclosure to that one as that is running of the same load circuit in the wall. Find an "independant" one and see how you go from there.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a All my lights running off the same power point.
So the megaray 100w, CHE 75w i think (which is connected to a thermostat), also have the 75w spot bulb and a 2ft tube for extra light..

Seems like alot dosnt it, lol

ill give it a shot and plug it into a spare powerpoint and see how that goes when i get home from work today..

Will let you know how i go,

cheers,

- would using an extension cord drain power? Or is it fine to use?

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sooo I had a spare flood light fixutre in the shed, so i tested it out with the MegaRay using a powerpoint that had no other utilities plugged in.
Worked fine! No buzzing, left it on for 15mins and no switching off or dimming/flickering like it would.
So im guesing it could be the fixture not being able to handle the wattage, and the fact that i was plugging it in with 3 other lights.

I have a question though.

Would it be better in a dome fixture, and for me to cut out a whole in the roof of the enclosure for it and rest it there using some sort of bracket?
Or should i ovbiously change over to a flood light fixture and mount it inside the enclosure?
- If i were to do that, are you able to put the flood light on an angle, because the height of the enclosure is only 2.5ft, so the basking spot would pretty much need to be on the floor, lol.

Cheers guys,
Much appreciate it..

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Leave the existing fixture.. just plug it in on a separate circuit outlet. Non dedicated to any other appliances. I have two that handle my 4 enclosures. The two on the front side of the room, are on one outlet/circuit, then Orion and Yardley (who is on top of Lady Annebelle) are on the outlet/circuit behind them on that wall.
No issues to date.. so I balanced out the circuit load between the two.. nothing else is plugged into either, only the viv lights.
Hope that helps out !
Janie

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
THanks Janie,
i will try it out tonight when i get home from work.
At the moment ive got him under a couple basking lights and a UV tube (nec-t 10) as i got a bit fed up with it.

Ill let you know how i go though,

thanks again..!

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im still having trouble with it!
Cant belive this..

Does anyone know how i can test what other things could be on the same circuit?
im about ready to give up..

Anyone in Melbourne are welcome to come over and try and fix it for me! lol

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do what I do... Turn on everything in that room... then go out to the circuit breaker and flip it off... go back in and see what is off. That will tell you.
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Still no resolution ? wow...
Perhaps, you might just have to go back to the reptisun.
That stinks though... wish I were closer.. I could visit and "eyeball" things.
Janie

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Still no go..
Altho i didnt get a chance to try turning everything on then going switchboard.

I just went around my house and tried every power point and it didnt work but 2!

I took it back to animal attractions and got them to test it out and it worked, but they tested it on its side, so i did aswell an it worked :S

i also noticed that the base of the bulb is warped (where the metal thread begins) and could be causing a hotspot which is making the saftey switch mecanzim inside flick off..?

I dont know :(
im fair shattered tho, im actualy getting a dome fixture on wednesday, i said to myself if i get that and still nt work after trying the power circuit thing too.. Ill be giving up :(

Latest posts