• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms vs. Superworms

Heather

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes. ;D

Question, aren't superworms just overgrown mealworms? ??? I'm lookin at the mealworms we have at work for the monkeys an they are lookin the same as the superworms I have at home, just larger. Looking online, I'm finding alot of places that are sayin they're the same as well....I'm so confused :D.

Boga will eat wax worms,given as a treat, and the supers just fine. We're workin on gettin the roaches and the silks & those worm ones that start with a "p" that I can't think of..*lol*..are ordered.

Now if the family will get used to the fact we're WANTING to house bugs and the cats will quit stalkin the bug houses..*LMAO* Maybe we should move back to AL..at least there we could find crickets & roaches all over and housing them from the cats wouldn't be a hassle. *lol*

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Topic split and moved by Administrator. Please keep the introduction board as a welcome area for new members joining our community. Specific topics may get lost to others who do not frequent the introduction board.

As Lexi pointed out, mealworms and superworms are two different types of worms.

Heather

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the explanation on the worms. :) And I was joking about using the bugs from outside, but housing them outside in AL would be pretty easy in our yard back there.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
rofl............you'ld be surprised how well they survive in the deep south.

I have friends that raise them that way. They also raise dragons outside, and a few other things ;)

it's all in HOW they're kept that makes it either possible or impossible.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One thing to keep in mind is that there are numerous ways to keep healthy, happy beardies. Most topics are controversial, but here at mybeardie.com we look upon care with open eyes. We may not always agree with others' choices, but we can learn and respect their decisions.

We have a collection of seasoned bearded dragon caregivers. Many of them practicing different techniques in caring for their beardies. I think we can all learn from each other.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, it's great to learn new techniques...it's amazing how many diverse environments are out there that are very successful.

Before we shoot something down like it is not possible to raise roaches outside in the US, we need to gather all the info and look for various spins on the situation to see if it is possible. I'm a firm believer that anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Exactly. Let's get all the facts before making blind statements. There is room for misinterpretation in forum posts, just as the same is true in email. I know that I am guilty of doing a quick post and leaving some things behind due to hastiness. Being open minded is key to this forum community.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Exactly. Let's get all the facts before making blind statements.

Posts removed. ;D I would still like to know the specifics of raising Dubia roaches outdoors. I would imagine some supplemental heat source would be required during the colder times of the year?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is annoying as (&(*&*(. Things make no sense when posts are deleted.

Anyways......the info isn't mine to divulge. It's not my practice and with that I have no right to post it or defend it. That person doesn't frequent forums because of the closed mindness of what can and can't be done in the view of people that haven't been in this hobby as long as he, with as much experience and success as he's had. I can't say i blame him for that.

I did however, email him and ask him to drop by and give us a shout.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
This is annoying as (&(*&*(. Things make no sense when posts are deleted.

Anyways......the info isn't mine to divulge. I did however, email him and ask him to drop by and give us a shout.

Thanks for that - but why even bring it up if you won't/don't feel comfortable discussing it? ???

I'm not sure why you're taking such offense to my curiosity... I posted that Dubias could not be raised outside (meaning, without any supplemental heat source) and you suggested otherwise, so I am curious how that works. That's how people learn. It's hypocritical to call someone "closed minded" when they are asking you for more information. That's the very definition of someone who is open minded.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was meant in humor. you try to read and now make sense of it. I'm friggin old. I'm lucky if i remember my shoes in the morning. ;D

I don't take offense at your curiousity.......what i corrected was that you stated they could not be raised outside. What you meant might have been different, however, it did not read that way.

I cannot post details of what I do not practice. I only know the practice exists. The same way you know things you post on that you have no hands on knowledge about, only from reading what has been written. If I posted details i am sure of ........what good would that do anyone? When my friends and i share details of our practices, we keep them somewhat between us. For decades we've paid for testing, experiments and studies and recorded our data. We share what is ours as we choose, not what is someone else's. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. you have the same opportunity to meet these people. You just never know when they might show up here unannounced.

And..........I think you need to re-read. I didn't call you closed minded. If you assumed that, I'm sorry. I am literal. What i stated was that he did not come to forums becaused of the closed mindedness. Did you take it that included you? I do apologize if that was the case. Just to be clear.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
It was meant in humor. you try to read and now make sense of it. I'm friggin old. I'm lucky if i remember my shoes in the morning. ;D

I don't take offense at your curiousity.......what i corrected was that you stated they could not be raised outside. What you meant might have been different, however, it did not read that way.

I cannot post details of what I do not practice. I only know the practice exists.

I understand what you're saying, and I suppose I should have clarified that I meant "without a heat source" when the weather doesn't provide the necessary conditions. That's what 'outside' means to me.

I do hope that your friend is willing to share his experience - I would be interested to hear about it.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he was invited, so he may very well lurk for awhile and may choose to post. He's not the most social butterfly in this hobby, but he does have a form of husbandry and practices we typically don't. his information is valuable, different but valuable nonetheless.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He was called today too.. Nice fellow. Young and very open to new ways to doing things.. I have some of his gecko stock..
Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmmmm, Now I'm curious to this person's identity lol. With such high praise from people that i know who are well veresed in this hobby of ours. Only one name that comes to mind from memory that practices left field husbandry but he hasn't been around for a while. He must have gotten sick and caught a VIRUS ;).

Latest posts