• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light fixtures

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Are flood light fixtures good to use for basking lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I wouldn't see why not, so long as they aren't recessed too deep. The heat and light spread from the bulb in a "^" fashion, heating their entire body instead of just a small portion. So long as the fixture doesn't condense the light into too small of an area, it would not only work well, but look great too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So I will want to make sure the fixture is domed shaped to prevent this correct?

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm using a floodlight in one of my enclosures, 75 watt PAR38 7+ year bulb with an 8400 hour life. Cost about $11 for one bulb but if I can get half the life it states I'll be happy. With five separate enclosures going I had three lights go out in the last week and the bulbs like the ZOO MED Basking lights state 2000 hr life have been barely getting half that.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
RaeAnn, in my head when you said floodlight fixture, I thought recessed light.
a5b25d61e219fa610620b50ff5482562.jpg

Instead of a floodlight bulb haha
3a99c03a25da06879569cfab9a120e8d.jpg

Floodlight style bulbs totally work. I default to the marketed reptile basking bulbs because they have the chart of heat ranges by distance. It seems like every brand has a different heat range even though the wattage is the same since they are designed differently.

Jungle Jim, can you post a photo of your floodlight setup for a visual aid? I find that pictures often help in the decision making process.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awesome to know they seem to be less expensive as well.

I have noticed that As well Eavlynn, we have two different brands of 75watt basking bulbs right now one of which can not be used. It brings her basking spot up to dangerous levels while the other is perfect.

Rafal

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Some good replies here... all home electrical fixtures can be wired to an extension cord so any sockets you buy will work just fine... the fluorescent fixtures purchased at stores such as Home Depot and lowes are much less expensive than the pet stores offer.

My 2 cents for what it's worth... if you are planning on installing a UVB fluorescent bulb that is the width of the enclosure a flood style light fixture for your heat lamp may not be needed. There is a couple options for mounting your heat bulb inside the enclosure if you choose to do so. One is a simple ceramic socket. Couple options here:

https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...429515015-c-7526.htm?tid=-5125150714769486497

Or

https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...4429314919-c-7525.htm?tid=7997008907076469184

Now if you would like to mount the bulb and be able to angle it in any direction instead of it being straight down you can use something like this:

https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...4430909813-c-7529.htm?tid=4042725410809022670

The only thing I would say about any of these lights is make sure you do some measuring prior to building the enclosure since you are adding light on the inside, if you choose to do so, keep in mind that you don't want to place the bulbs too close to the floor ... a 12" high enclure would not work with these types of sockets. I would also stay away from track lightning or anything marked as track lighting because most cannot support the basking light bulb wattage. Also recessed lighting is big and bulky for an encolure in my opinion. The dome you would be building would have to be quite large on top. If you need help wiring any of these lights up feel free to ask.

You can also have a simple dimmer switch wired to any of the basking light sockets so that you are able to control the temps more precisely.

Rafal

Latest posts