• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light fixtures

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello all,
We are going to be building our own enclosure soon (with the help of some really awesome friends). Before we begin we are going to purchase all the supplies we will need piece by piece.
We plan on getting a 34" reptisun t5 bulb that will be mounted on the inside of the enclosure. Since I know absolutely zero about lighting and fixtures I'm wondering what would be the best fixture for this bulb? Something we will be able to mount on the inside ceiling of the enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I like the open fixtures to affix to the top of custom enclosures. The fixture I have for Ruth is similar to this one.

bb0310c000eb267362463a9b4ffff660.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I like the open fixtures to affix to the top of custom enclosures. The fixture I have for Ruth is similar to this one.

bb0310c000eb267362463a9b4ffff660.jpg

Thank you Eavlynn, we will look into that type than :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Where do you get them at? And they are fine to use with a HO bulb?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It works well with the bulb. The one I got came with Ruth when I got her, but you can find them on amazon as well. That's my go to place for a lot of things.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It works well with the bulb. The one I got came with Ruth when I got her, but you can find them on amazon as well. That's my go to place for a lot of things.

And would I just search for open light fixtures? Sorry I really know nothing about lighting other than the reptisun 10.0s are good lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fluorescent light fixtures. There are a couple on there that specify HO, but I think any tube style fixture is built the same.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you, I'll look into them tonight.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You're welcome :) Glad that I could help. They have all sorts of different styles available. You should be able to find the perfect match for your enclosure build.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This may sound crazy but the issue in now having is determining what size fixture to get. Like If I get a 34" bulb would I get a 34" fixture? A lot do not say what size bulb they house and only state the actual size of the fixture if that makes sense?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The general rule is a 48 inch fixture holds a 48 inch bulb. It seems like they size them by the bulb that they hold instead of the actual overall size of the fixture itself, which makes sense and doesn't make since all at the same time. The good news is that if you happen to order the wrong item, returns are super easy through Amazon.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The general rule is a 48 inch fixture holds a 48 inch bulb. It seems like they size them by the bulb that they hold instead of the actual overall size of the fixture itself, which makes sense and doesn't make since all at the same time. The good news is that if you happen to order the wrong item, returns are super easy through Amazon.

Thank you that helps so much. I am an Amazon junkie lol. It's my go to place for practically everything

Jonathan95123

Bearded Dragon Egg
if you have a home depot / lowes around, they have (or should have) an open fixture that Eavlynn suggested.

Whats going to be your choice for basking light? is the tank enclosed or does it have an open top?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's going to be a drawn out process so it won't be ready anytime soon but it will be a closed top. As far as basking I'm not entirely sure yet. Since I know nothing about wiring light fixtures, I would love to find something I can mount on to the ceiling and that already has a cord that I can run through the back of the enclosure and simply plug into my timer. I don't know if such a thing exists?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you that helps so much. I am an Amazon junkie lol. It's my go to place for practically everything

Me too! Did you sign up for prime? It's been a life saver for us.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's going to be a drawn out process so it won't be ready anytime soon but it will be a closed top. As far as basking I'm not entirely sure yet. Since I know nothing about wiring light fixtures, I would love to find something I can mount on to the ceiling and that already has a cord that I can run through the back of the enclosure and simply plug into my timer. I don't know if such a thing exists?

I did an Internet and Amazon search for prewired sockets and didn't find any. If they were already wired you'd have to make a hole in the top big enough to fit a plug through, and then the hole might be too big to mount the fixture with the location of the mounting holes. The guy I work for, Rick, makes it look super easy. There might be a video to show you step by step on youtube. They have videos for everything.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah we really don't want a giant hole in the top anyways. I guess we will figure it out as we go with the help of YouTube and Google.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That would certainly work and make it look a little nicer. Thanks for sharing that it'll be something to keep in mind

Latest posts