• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just moved my beardie to his 40 gal

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys I just moved my beardie to his 40 gal after being in a 10 gal for a couple of weeks
here is a pic.. Im going to move the uvb inside of the enclosure its a reptisun 10.0 just in a zilla hood:D and I just put a 75 watt bulb for the heat lamp.. is that too much or should i go back to the 50 watt ?? but right now this is all i have in it going to put more things in it soon
imag0488r.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Pic is a bit dark but looks good...I use a 75watt standard Halogen Floodlight in Mungi"s 40 gallon Breeder tank but it is suspended about 6 inches above the screen...you may be able to use a 50watt if you fixture sits directly on the screen but it will depend on whether you can get the basking spot temp to 110 degrees where it needs to be for him..you have a rather short basking perch so if you use the 50 watt you might need to raise the perch up a lil to get correct temp.
Im not seeing a thermometer but you really need one whith a probe attached directly to the basking spot to get accurate temp.Actually need two..one for basking spot and one placed in the coolest spot of his tank.
I also see two dishes...he only needs one for his salad. If the second is for water I recommend removing it..they wont drink from it and it will just raise the humidity in the tank which they dont need either being dry climate creatures.

On a side note did you have to trim the tiles in the tank?? what sizes are they? They look good:)

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
yeah i have a thermometer its just black its in the top right of the tank you can barely see it lol.. so just have one for salad got cha.. and as the tile i did it i have no idea what the measurements are i just put them in and then cut so they can fit lol

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Looks very nice, very pretty. I know your dragon is in good hands.

It'd be a good idea to put some kind of silicon in the cracks between the tiles to prevent anything from falling in there such as water or fecal matter, food, etc., that later on will be difficult to remove. Unless you intend for them to be removable.

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
question..I remember when i first got him it took a couple of days for him to get adjusted to everything is it the same thing now since i moved him.. And yeah i wanted to make them removable so it can be easier to clean lol

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@chubbyb...yes it can take them.10 or more days to.acclimate anytime you make a change in their environment.
Also now that I was able to enlarge your pic I see that you have the thermometer probe attached to the side wall glass. This will make it give you the temp of the glass not the basking spot like you need. You should attach the probe directly to the basking spot...the way that you have it now it will give you inaccurate readings that can be off by several degrees. You can use zip ties to attach it and place it correctly.
Have a great day,)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes that would work well. Arranging a foil reflector will also help. This is the type I use, hot glued to the front of the enclosure.

Light fixture 011.JPG

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Reflects more UVB into the enclosure & intensifies it more than just with the bulb alone. Mounted inside with the reflector, unfiltered by screens, you can get the full recommended life out of the bulb, which is generally a year.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, it appears to be a T8 fixture, just have to get an 18" T8 UVB bulb to fit. Repti-Sun Tubes are more commonly sold in the T8 size. Be sure to leave the plastic cover off after replacing the included bulb with the UVB bulb. UVB can not pass through solid filters such as Glass or Plastic.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@PJ...It is perfectly okay to mount the UV on top of the screen...however..If you do you will need to use the 26watt UV tubes. The screen will actually cut up to 50% of the effective UV from getting to your dragon. Mounting it under the screen as BeardieBaby and others have talked about here is the best option because then the UV is then unobstructed and your beardie will have access to the full power of the UV. It will also mean that you wont have to change out the UV bulbs as often.
Enjoy

IMPORTANT EDIT: What to correct my statement above....Tube-type bulbs come in 18"-15watt, 24"-20watt, 30"-25watt and more. For bearded dragons you need to use a 10.0 or 10% bulb and they are best mounted under the screen top to provide your dragon with the most efficient unobstructed UV light.
Coil-type 10.o or 10% UV bulbs come in both 13watt and 26watt. If you are using these types of bulbs and mounting them on top of the screen you need to be sure that you purchase the 26watt variation of these bulbs.

Mounting either type of bulb on top of a screen will cut the effective and usable UV getting to your bearded dragon by as much as 50%.

Bulbs placed on top of the screen for either type will degrade faster and need to be replaced every 6 months while bulbs mounted inside of the tank and unobstructed by a screen should be good for the full 1 year as stated by the manufacturers.

This was a prime example of why one should not get distracted while typing..especially when one types with two fingers..lol:)

Thanks Germ for catching my gaff!! Much appreciated,My Friend and my apologies to anyone I may have confused earlier in my mis-statement.

P.J.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys, I guess I need to figure out a way to secure the light under the screen. I have the tube type "18 inch.

Latest posts