• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's about time to move...

Pat B

Super Moderator
I see your tank is on the floor.... Always cooler on the floor. Can you put the tank ona table?? Just an observation....:D. Have no idea if that makes a difference or not....:rolleyes:

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I had to push it to tonight; forgot I had to get up really early for work today. I have tomorrow off, so I should have an answer tonight! Thanks for checking in on me! :D

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Finally got around to playing with it some more tonight - and temps are holding strong at about 106 degrees using a 150 watt bulb! I took the basking driftwood I have and propped it up higher by turning a stainless steel pan upside down and laying it at the bottom of the tank. Taking the temp by suspending the probe in the air was throwing the reading off, I guess! Now it's time to check cool side temps.

Good heat holds strong about 12 inches from the floor of the tank. I saw some driftwood at a local pet store the other day that looked about that size; I just didn't want to shell out the $36 it would take to take it home. That reminds me: I assume the "driftwood" (sand blasted grape vines, I think is what they really are) can be baked? I ask because I don't really like the conditions of the store I found it at. Thanks again for all the help, people! :cool:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you don't feel comfortable baking it, freezing it overnight will destroy anything living within it.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, I shelled out the $36 on the driftwood and temps are holding strong at 102.8 degrees. Tomorrow it gets a nice dip in our deer meat freezer just to be on the safe side. So far I'm a happy camper. :D

One thing I've noticed is a light ozone/burning smell with the 150 watt bulb. I don't have that problem when I use the light with the 75 watt bulb on his current 20 gallon enclosure. Should I be concerned with this? Should I buy one of those holders for the light so it is suspended slightly over the cage? I just want to make sure I'm not putting Reggie in danger and/or shortening the life of the cover for the enclosure!

I think it's one of two things. Either it's from the heat hitting the wire cover of the cage or its heating up the fixture I bought from Walmart for his UVB (I haven't covered the fixture in tinfoil yet).

Germ, Buddha, and Pat.. I need your help on this. I'm counting on you guys! HELP! :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could be burning the paint on the screen, if this is the case, should soon dissipate. Could be the new fixture burning in, which should also soon dissipate, unless it does not have a ceramic or porcelain socket, then it may be the socket burning, this would have to be replaced with a proper socket asap. If the UVB fixture is getting hot from the heat lamp shining on it, then you should try the tin foil reflector\heat shield, failing this, their orientation would have to be rethought out, so this does not occur.

Good Luck

Latest posts