• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's about time to move...

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
My dragon has grown like crazy! He's about 12 inches right now (honestly, it's impossible to measure him - I may try again today when I bathe him). Today I'm going to shop for some accessories, one of which is an under the tank light fixture that Buddha and Germ have recommended.

My questions are: Can I use the same 10" UVB bulb? Can anyone recommend a wattage for a basking bulb in a 55 gallon tank? It's about 21 inches tall (1 foot, 9 inches). I'd just like to get other people's experience instead of testing out a few different bulbs to get the temps right.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
10" UVB Bulb ??? :confused: ???

For a 21" tall enclosure I would guess that a regular 65-75W halogen bulb would do the job quite well. It really depends a lot on your ambient room temps & basking spot height ...

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yah sorry, I think it's actually 18" hehe. It's the reptisun 10, I think I mixed the numbers up. Today I picked up an under-the-cabinet light, so I plan on hot glue-gunning it to the bigger tank probably on Sunday.

Any advice on cleaning the tank once that light is in there? I don't think I can hose it down in the front yard, exactly. :eek:

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I don't hose down my enclosures.... You can clean them very easily by mixing your chosen cleaning solution which for me is a 10% bleach 90% water solution in a spray bottle..remove all furnishings...spray the tank down and clean....then I rinse thoroughly with clean water until all of the cleaning solution is totally removed and then dry.
Furnishings I clean seperately, using combinations of hand cleaning/rinsing with the same bleach solution and then either air dry or baking in a 225 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes if the furnishing can be baked...and then of course allowed to cool to room temp before using.
Takes a bit more time than a hose rinse in the backyard but you get fast the more you do it and will be much more thorough a cleaning:)
Oh and don't spray your light fixture..no need..if it is dusty unplug it and wipe it down .
Enjoy

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the cleaning tips Buddha; I'm going to adopt your spray bottle method but replace the bleach with vinegar. I just feel safer using it. I'll also look into a 75 watt halogen - thanks Germ!

You guys are great. A true wealth of information! Me, and Reggie (be it Reginald or Regina, still don't know yet), thank you! Yea I know how to sex Reggie, but "he's" not exactly the most willing participant. :eek:

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Another question: I am mounting the fixture, following Buddha's instructions. He mentions to mount it about 1 inch below the tank screen cover. Will this provide Reggie with enough UVB? I would like to keep it out of his reach, but also want him to get enough of that light. How far can/should it be from the basking spot to keep him safe but provide him with what he needs?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Alrighty... I got the fixture glued near the top of the tank. It looks good, but I don't know if the temps will be ok so I may get a 100 watt bulb tomorrow. I looked at halogen bulbs at Walmart, but there were so many different kinds I may just shell out the extra few bucks to get an overpriced "reptile" one. Any tips or brands/models you can recommend? If so I don't mind taking another trip to Wally-world.

My only concern now is whether that could melt the fixture I bought. The heat bulb on the screen cover is pretty close to the fixture. Any thoughts or personal experience on that?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yep... Temps are holding at 85.5 degrees. I'm thinking about investing in a hammock for him so he has a few basking options.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Does anyone have any advice? I have a 100 watt bulb and can't seem to get the temps higher than 85 degrees. I even tried to prop his basking driftwood on its side and it didn't help at all.

I realized if I got a hammock... How would he get up and down from it? I may just need to get a taller basking log...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A hotter bulb or raise the basking spot, whichever is the most plausible for the setup. You have a tall enclosure so I think I would go with a hotter type or wattage of Bulb. Being a tall enclosure, once again I recommend a halogen bulb for their further heat penetration into the enclosure than most other type bulbs. I would estimate that your basking spot should be approximately 10+" high to get your BD close enough to the UVB & heat.

The use of a Hammock often requires something to lead up to it or something near enough for them to make the leap, BDs are very proficient jumpers.
I looked at halogen bulbs at Walmart, but there were so many different kinds I may just shell out the extra few bucks to get an overpriced "reptile" one. Any tips or brands/models you can recommend? If so I don't mind taking another trip to Wally-world.
Personally I use the Philips brand Halogen bulbs, I get them at Home Depot ...
010.JPG

My only concern now is whether that could melt the fixture I bought. The heat bulb on the screen cover is pretty close to the fixture. Any thoughts or personal experience on that?
Sometimes placing tin foil over the plastic on top of the screen so the fixture is shadowed, will serve as somewhat of a heat shield. Of course you could not have the bulb close directly above it, regardless.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Perfect Germ! Thats exactly the advice I was looking for! I didn't realize the heat output was greater for those bulbs. I have the flukers 150 watt bulb fixture. I assume it can handle those hotter halogens you linked? I will probably pick up a 65 or 75 watt one. If they dont work out I can always use them in the yard.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A 150 watt fixture should have no problem with the halogen bulbs that we would use. Check & be sure that it has a porcelain or ceramic socket though.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yah it does. I bought a 45 watt halogen and it didn't do squat to the temps! I'm going to have to go back tomorrow I guess and pick up a 100 watt to see if that does the trick.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Ok starting to get frustrated, but still determined to get this right! :mad:

I went and got the 150 watt intense basking spot bulb by Exo-Terra and still can only get the temps to about 86 degrees. That's being about 5 inches from the top of the screen, which is too high as it puts him about 3-4 inches from the UVB fixture. Here is a pic... please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!

image.jpg

Man this bulb gets so hot too! I put my hand on the screen after giving up on it and it burned me! The only thing I can think of is its because I have the probe suspended in the air, as it doesn't have a surface area around it to heat up. Help! :confused:

Pat B

Super Moderator
Does your beardie have a basking spot? Like a log, rock or something else? That is where you need to put your probe. Is the probe working correctly? Your UVB looks really low but can't tell for sure and is it wrapped in foil?? I have a 40 gal breeder tank and the UVB is on the inside at the top. Don't give up....be patient and keep working at it. :D

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Reggie does have a basking spot, but its in his existing tank (20 long). He does not live in this aquarium yet. :D UVB fixture is about one inch from the top of the tank, maybe two. It's not wrapped in foil yet.

I realistically can't put the probe any higher, and a higher wattage bulb is out of the question. Any ideas?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Forgot to mention... the probe works fine. I put it back in his current cage and its reading at 107 degrees. If I didn't mention this enough before - help guys! :confused:

Pat B

Super Moderator
Ok.....if the probe works in the other tank....duplicate those conditions in bigger tank....especially distance. Can you put basking spot in big tank and check temperature? Does that make sense? Good luck

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yep I think that's step one (feels like step 1001) once I put Reggie to bed. I don't like testing it out when he's awake so as not to stress him out too much. I tried it with the driftwood when I bought a 75 watt bulb but didn't last night with my 150 watt one. Wish me luck! :eek:

Latest posts