• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my new baby bearded dragon showing stress mark?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I do see that he has clear nails he might have some hypo melanistic genes in him.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What does it mean to have hypo melanistic genes?
Its part of their morphology, like if i a bearded dragon was whiter then the rest of his egg mates, and u breed him with a white bearded dragon, and so on and so forth, you get different genes, that make them red, orange, yellow, white, dark, translucent, lots of spikes, leather back, no scales, all kinds of different bearded dragons, heres a couple links Bearded dragon morphs , YouTube: different kinds of morphs, explained.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just got my baby three weeks ago and I can’t tell if these are stress marks that I’ve read about?

I’ve done countless hours of research but find different information.

Attached are several pictures, can you please let me know if these look like stress marks?

I got him three weeks ago. He’s a baby. Temperature and feeding schedule as instructed with a 60 gallon tank.

Thank you!
Hi congrats on your new Beardie. We rescue and rehome. The stress marks are a sign that something is wrong in the tank. Temps are off, humidity maybe off or not the proper UVB. 1st of all u need a digital thermometer and digital hygrometer. The temps are never ever accurate with the stick on ones. Also get a INfrared gin from Home Depot u shine it and inch away from the basking spot and that give u more accuracy. Please only use a clear bulb for heat; the best is ZOOMED; it’s clear like the sun (Never use colored or coiled bulbs) & make sure the humidity is 30-40 and never ever higher than 40. Amd for UVB u need the Reptisun 10.0 T5. Make sure he is at least 8-10inches away or more from the uvb, never closer than 8-10 inches. Keep the temps for this baby between 100-105 and never ever higher as he gets closer to 8mnths of age they like it less hot so 95-100; more like 97. Make sure u replace the UVB reptisun 10.0 every 6Mnths religiously; I can’t stress this Enuff. The Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular bulb is the best UVB. Also make sure he has a hideaway to get away from the uvb, they love hammocks too so I wud place that behind his basking spot as another lounging spot; u can place a soft terry cloth towel over it so under this his hiding spot if u don’t have a hideaway. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 in the summer. And all lights off at nite, beardies like dark and quiet. As a youngster get him a ceramic heat emitter 60 Watt only to keep his temp at about 84 at nite on the side that he sleeps as babies they need 84-85 at nite till he turns 9mnths or so then the temp at nite can go down to 70 not lower. So as ana adult u will use the ceramic heat emitter only in the winter months. A plate of fresh greens/veggies everyday place it on the cold side & change as it wilts. The best everyday ones is a mix of mustard greens, yellow squash, dandelions, snap peas, green beans, endives and collard greens. Mix 2-3 diced up for his size. Also as a baby up to 3mnths old proteins 4-5 times a day; Crickets and Dubia roaches are the best. Never ever feed bottled food or meal works it impacts them. Dust the proteins in calcium powder 4 times a week lightly sprinkle like salt on fries till theybare powdered lightly but only once per day and on a non calcium day sprinkle with helrptivite. I will attaché photos for the ones to buy. When he gets to 4mnths u can do 3 protein feedings per day & and at 9mnths lower it to twice per day. And at 12mnths feed proteins once per day and over a year u can do proteins every other day. But always and forever the fresh plate of green/veggies; otheriwse he will never eat them as he gets older. As treats fruits a few times a week also in addition to the above; blueberries, mangoes and papayas are the best. Once ina while bananas and apples. When he hits 1year old u can do superworms as treats also but they are high in fat and hornworms at a year and a half; not sooner cuz there digestive tract is not strong Enuff when they are under a year old. Baths row be a week and more when shedding to help with itching and to help the shed fall off. Buy Reptisafe which removes the chlorine coz it’s bad for their skin. Enjoy your Beardie. Here’s one of my setups.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I meant that he has NEVER puffed out his bead, NEVER had a black beard and NEVER hissed. The only signs I see is his skin coloring— which has never been black or drastically different

Yes, I use Che at night.
He will puff his beard when he stretches it and when he is shedding so dont mistake it for aggression. If your dragon is allowing you to handle him then that is great. Sone Beardies can puff their beard and go black beard during mating season, as mine does.

ReptileMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Personally, I wouldn’t be worried. My beardie had these for about the first four weeks I had him, I just handled him very infrequently and made sure to keep his enclosure perfect and everything in the same location so as to get him acclimated to the new environment. They can even get them while eating or pooping, I’ve heard. I think babies are more stressed naturally due to lack of familiarity of surroundings and defense mechanisms. If he’s not acting aggressive or sick just be patient and he’ll be fine. You can typically tell the sex after about 8 months once they reach sexual maturity - two bumps at the vent mean you have a little dude. Don’t get yourself too worked up, beardies are hardy and as long as their enclosure is perfect and they’re eating and pooping they are good. Try not to touch or change the inside of his enclosure too much and he’ll get comfortable eventually.

Latest posts