• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm looking to buy a dual(?) timer.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is still within range. Your thermometer sensor is behind the food dish in the shadow touching the tile. I'll bet that if you check later in the day, that you will have higher readings as the food dish & tile has a chance to warm up.

Can't see where your UVB is situated, but otherwise it looks great!

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Once again, you are right Germ. It now reads 82 degrees. As far as the UVB, I'm pretty sure that is the next thing that I will be upgrading. It's the fixture on the left.

JPIdj.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It would be better located behind or in front of the dual fixture, as it would then cover the basking spot, not getting a lot of effective coverage where it is situated now. This would keep the basking & UVB closer to each other so both fully cover the basking spot.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB has a limited range, does not emit effectively as far as the visible light does. Also there is very little useable effective UVB emitted off the ends of a tube, they are most effective from the center portions of the tube. This is especially important when mounted above the screen, the screen can block\filter\reflect as much as 50% of the effective useable UVB from entering the enclosure, so the basking spot must be close to the center of the bulb - within 8" is about right.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
It would be better located behind or in front of the dual fixture

That's what I wanted to do, but it doesn't fit that way.

I am also not sure of the style bulb they gave me for the UVB. Again, all of this incorrect items came from the BD Combo Pack. :confused:

This is the bulb they included.

Ptuvk.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Needs to be a 10.0, particularly if above a screen. I don't know what you have in the dual fixture & see no need for 2 basking bulbs if you have the right wattage\type bulb. Could you not just put a compact UVB bulb in one of the sockets of the Dual unit, with a basking bulb in the other. And for sure if that horizontal UVB fixture is to be used, it definitely needs to be pointing the other way, towards the basking spot.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
The other bulb in the dual fixture is a red night bulb that came with it. I no longer use it. I didn't know that they have UVB bulbs that would fit in the combo light. I will absolutely pick one up today.

Please tell me you thoughts on this scenario:

Move the current UVB fixture to the right of the combo pack, and the basking light to the left side. Then purchase the combo UVB and put in in the left side of the combo fixture. Or would that be too much UVB exposure? (Is there a such thing as too much?)

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Nevermind with putting the Basking Light on the left side. It increase both temperatures drastically!

If possible, I would like to ONLY use the combo fixture. Basking Light on right, UVB Compact 10.0 bulb on left.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That looks like a deep dome dual fixture, would not a compact 10.0 UVB, similar to the compact 5.0 that you have (Looks to be a Repti-Sun), fit in one side of it, with the Basking bulb in the other. You could put a household coil fluorescent in the horizontal fixture on the left side, just for added ambient light with very little added heat, if you like or as you said, do away with it completely.

Should you choose to get a Repti-Glo compact coil 10.0, be sure to get the 26W & not the 13W.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Unfortunately it's not a deep dome fixture. The UVB bulb that I have now will not fit in the dual fixture. Unless they make a shorter UVB bulb, it looks like I will have to purchase a deep combo fixture as well.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you Buddha. I just ordered two from that site. They are relativity inexpensive and I'll have an extra one to replace in 4 months.

I hope I can take all the information that I have learned here and pay it forward one day.

By the way, Gotham is double arm waving at me again as I type this message. :D Almost looks like he's air swimming. :cool:

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Glad I could help:) I've used that site many times in the past and have always had very reliable and fast service from them. It's one that I keep bookmarked and usually my first stop when looking for supplies.
Enjoy

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
On that site does the halgon light good if so what watts should I get go a 40 gallon breeder tank

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@bouncer36...if you are wanting a halogen for a basking light then I would recommend instead of the "Reptile Bulbs" just try a standard household Halogen Floodlight...they give off excellent heat, a clear bright white light and are usually cheaper.Plus they can be found at many places locally like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, etc. I use them and know that Germ has been using them for a number of years now with no problems.
As to what wattage to get I would start by trying a 50 watt but it will depend on whether you are placing the fixture directly on the screen or suspending it above. I use a 75watt on Mungi's 40 gallon enclosure but only because my fixtures are suspended from a custom light rack set up that I build for my tanks so the fixture is approximately 6 inches above the screen requiring me to use a little higher wattage bulb to get my temps right. The choice of using the light racks is simply because it makes things easier to get in for feeding and cleaning having the lights out of the way.If I want to open an enclosure the only fixture I have to move is the tube UV one because it rest on the screen.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thank you I'm actually using the 75 watt one been trying to find a 65w but with no luck. Just if those on the site was good

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The 65watts are a little harder to find around here too...I found them at Target and at Kmart though so if you have either of those places close by maybe check there:) As far as the halogen bulbs on reptilesupply.com go I have use both the Hagen and the ZooMed bulbs and both work fine:)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the bulb is on the screen, I think that you will likely find that a 50W regular halogen will have plenty of penetration to do the job for you on a 40 Gal. Just have to adjust the basking spot height until your temps are right.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
I have discovered that I have a few more questions. I decided to ask them here, because this is where I have all the information about the changes I've made thus far.

As you can see from the pictures below, I put a tile floor down in the tank, but the crickets are squeezing themselves in the edges and under the tiles. What could I seal this with that would not be harmful to my BD? (I was thinking of using electrical tape)

Also, Gotham does not eat much at all. I put fresh veggies in the mornings. Then I will put down some BD pellets here and there. I give him about 2 waxworms every 2 or 3 days. I put about 15 crickets in the tank every other day.

I see him nibble on the leafs then run away, pay no attention to the pellets ever, eat 1 waxworm and watch the other one crawl away, and eat one or two crickets then scratch at the tank like he's trying to escape. (This was all different days)

The veggies I put down are Kale, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens.

He poops everyday so I know he's eating something.

My question is, is this normal? Why does he only eat about 2 or 3 crickets a day? All the temps are right and I have had him for 7 days now.

sTfbi.jpg

tZDGB.jpg