• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi! Got a baby beardy today, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track...

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lolllll I know it seems like a lot to remember but it gets better with time. They are honestly like children, you do research, you ask questions, and some things are trial and error (those not in "black and white")

What an AWESOME looking pooper- awwwwwww, I remember when my beardie was that size and I brought him home from the Smart, PetSMart that is-lol I don't think he could fit back in that cup they put him in even if I wanted him to.
Thanks for the pictures

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright. What kind of substrate would work best? I'm borrowing money from my parents anyway so I might as well do things right. Ideally, I'd like to go to the pet shop maybe two more times in the next week. x_x I'm sick of going there, haha.

What I need to get/do:
- Pick up new tank.
- Get probe thermometer.
- Get 150 watt heat bulb for new tank.
- Buy lighting fixture for big tank.
- Buy UV rod bulb.
- Buy new substrate.
- Buy new driftwood or something for the bigger tank (for basking).

...Oh man, I'm going to be so broke. XD

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Slate tiles for the substrate (any tile really that has a rough enough surface for him to grip on). Except for those self adhesive types (do you guys have them over there???) the glue can be toxic when heated over prolonged periods.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Er... anything I can buy for cheap at a pet store, preferably? <_<; Maybe someday I'll tile the floor of his tank, but I really can't do that now.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
honestly id suggest newspaper or paper towel. if you absolutely want to use a pet store substrate you can use reptile carpet.
make sure the tube UV bulb you purchase is a Reptisun 10.0 tube bulb.
You do not need to get the 150 basking bulb it will be too much. Get a few packs of cheap house bulbs at walmart 60 watt to 100 watt i can pretty much assure you one of those will set your temps perfect.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh dear lawdy, what a day. x__x

I went to go pick up a light and some other supplies from that local pet shop that's closing down tomorrow. I had a $50 budget, but wanted to get SOMETHING good for little Wrex to keep him healthy. It just so happens that my cousin was on shift when I got there. He's always been a bit of a rebel slash reptile lover. For instance, he has seven facial piercings and used to own an alligator, before my uncle found it and made him return it to the shady reptile convention in Philly. Now he sticks to pythons, mostly.

So I walked in and picked out a cheap 18" Reptisun 10.0 UV bulb and some crickets, and he said that I should get a 36 inch one instead. And a hotter bulb, digital thermometer, red bulb for nighttime, prettier fixture, and decorative piece of Malaysian driftwood. I told him that I was on a budget, so he whispered and told me to drive around back.

He piled all of this stuff into my car (along with the 40 gallon tank, which he gave me the down payment BACK for) and told me to drive, fast. >___>

IMG_1238.jpg

I wasn't really in a position to tell him no, so I drove away, fast.

I'm not sure how I feel about how this turned out.. XD... I feel bad, but the business is shutting down and my cousin said that his boss refused to give him his last paycheck because the store is closing the day before payday. So I guess they deserve it.. sort of... >__>;

Regardless, how is this stuff? I know I need a new thermometer - they only had turtle ones left, heh. Besides for that, I think it should be good for Wrex. I'm cleaning the tank out tomorrow and moving him in.

Newspaper and paper towels are good for substrate, right?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
looks like you did awesome to me. Lol

yeah the newspaper or papertowels will be perfectly fine as the substrate.
So now you have plenty of money to get that thermometer lol

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Haha, yup. Actually, does anyone have a link to a good thermometer? I figure I'll buy it online. I'm just so sick of pet stores. :p

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ah, the shipping price on that is killing me. :( And I unfortunately can't buy things online unless they accept Paypal. Stupid restrictions on debit cards for minors, etc. Does this look good? http://cgi.ebay.com/Zilla-Reptile-T...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d67fc6b It shouldn't take long to ship; it's just a state away... I'll save that link though. I'm sure Wrex won't be my last reptile and that does look incredibly useful. :p

Oh and also.. couple more questions. ;D
The lamp has a dimmer. If the 150 watt lamp is too much for the little fella, I assume dimming it would cool it down. Am I correct in this assumption? He seems to really like his new heat source, but if it starts to get too hot I want to make sure I can cool it down easily.

Also, the fluorescent aquarium lamp comes with a standard Eclipse fluorescent bulb. Can I use it for anything, or should I set it aside for if I ever want a fish tank?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just wanted to add that you don't need the red night light. Dragons like it dark at night so they can sleep. Try your local walmart I picked up a digital probe therm there for $5

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just ordered the tempgun now, haha. Oy vey, this guy is expensive. I'm going to need an intense summer job to get all of my money back. x__x Does it get any more expensive than this, or am I pretty much set? Food doesn't exactly cost much, so unless there's something else I really need I think I'm done shopping for him.

I tried turning the light off last night, and when I woke up he was extremely cold and stiff and I was terrified and thought I killed him. I think I'll put the red bulb on dim for nights, so that he won't freeze (but it'll still be cooler than daytime) and so I won't stay awake because of the light. And besides, it's not like I paid anything for it. :p

Wrex loves this 150 watt heat bulb. :D The crappy stick thermometer says that the tank is at 105 degrees now, and he's running around trying to find ways to escape. Before this, he usually just sat on his log and stared forward. I think he'll like the bigger tank.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
I tried turning the light off last night, and when I woke up he was extremely cold and stiff and I was terrified and thought I killed him. I think I'll put the red bulb on dim for nights, so that he won't freeze (but it'll still be cooler than daytime) and so I won't stay awake because of the light. And besides, it's not like I paid anything for it. :p

Red bulbs disturb their sleep patterns, if you need to keep him warm at night you will need a CHE. I have them in all of my enclosures and all wired up to thermostats (but the thermostats are optional I'm just padantic about my temps lol).

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so long as your house doesnt dip below 60 degrees at night you are fine no need for night heat

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ah, alright. I'll give the red bulb to my boyfriend for his tortoise then. Thanks! ^_^

Latest posts