• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi! Got a baby beardy today, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track...

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wowee, that sure is big. 0_0 How long until he'll need that? I'll have to rearrange some furniture to fit that in my room, haha.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
all depends on how he grows but i wouldnt leave him in that tiny one no longer than 5 months old.

and the light is still an immediate neccessity.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'll get him a new light as soon as I get paid on Wednesday. :p

I'll probably have to save up a lot for the adult tank, so it's good news for me that he'll be able to live in this one for up to five months. I'm sixteen and my parents want nothing to do with my lizard-loving shenanigans, and I have a crappy part time job at minimum wage so Wrex will have to make due with this house for a bit. :p I'm determined to do everything I possibly can to keep this little guy healthy, though. I knew I was getting into a lot before getting him, and I refuse to be one of those jerks who spontaneously buys an animal and ends up treating it badly on accident. Thanks for all the advice!

Oh, one last thing. Would it be better to keep the UV bulb I have now on, or turn it off until I get a new one in a few days?

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright, done. ^_^

Also, good news. :D I'll probably be able to get a bigger tank earlier than expected. The small pet shop that my cousin works at is sadly going out of business, so everything they have will be on sale for 75% off next week. He says he'll set aside a nice beardy tank for me until I come up with the money. That, and my parents fell in love with Wrex. They said that they didn't want anything to do with my "various creatures," but he waved at them for a bit and now they're willing to chip in for his new tank and lamp. ;D

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
Alright, done. ^_^

Also, good news. :D I'll probably be able to get a bigger tank earlier than expected. The small pet shop that my cousin works at is sadly going out of business, so everything they have will be on sale for 75% off next week. He says he'll set aside a nice beardy tank for me until I come up with the money. That, and my parents fell in love with Wrex. They said that they didn't want anything to do with my "various creatures," but he waved at them for a bit and now they're willing to chip in for his new tank and lamp. ;D

AWESOME news, it's amaxing how fast people fall inlove with them lol.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's way cool of your cousin to do that for you ;D

I was also going to suggest craigslist, as there are a lot of deals on there as well. The only thing with that is that you have to sterilize whatever you get really well with a water and bleach solution before allowing your dragon to climb on it, eat out of it or live in it. And you have to make sure it's rinsed very well as the bleach will harm their lungs.

Good luck to you!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MVB serve as a heat and UV source.

It sounds like Brian and Francis took good care of you. I did want to mention that you should start your beardie on salad now. Most babies will not eat their salad regularly, but once your beardie reaches 1 year of age, salad will be the daily food source.

Here's a link to our basic caresheet. It discusses foods to eat as well as your setup. Hope it helps:
Bearded Dragon Care

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and congrats on the baby beardie they are so fun, I'm trying to convince my hubby to let me get a chinese dragon in about 6 months......

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey everyone! I was able to pick up a 40 gallon aquarium tank today for $25. It formerly housed a nice little family of turtles, so I'll be sure to clean it with a 10% bleach solution before moving Wrex in. :D This isn't a breeding tank or anything, but I really couldn't resist that price... will this be okay for one dragon?

I also got a thermometer, and the temperatures are troubling. The spot directly under the lamp is peaking at 84 degrees Fahrenheit, and I know it should be at least 100 for proper basking and digestion. The heat bulb I'm using is a "75W ExoTerra Sun Glo Neodymium Basking Daylight Spot Lamp." I have the receipt for this if it needs to be returned for a higher powered one. How many watts should I get? Note that I'm going to keep him in the little tank until he's about ten inches, then he'll get his big boy home. Will I be able to use the same sized heat lamp for both terrariums?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
did you get the UV bulb? or is that next week? Sorry cant remember. I honestly suggest against an expensive basking bulb. you can use a normal white household light and achieve appropriate temps. Take the money you get back and put it towards your UV bulb. Why are you going to wait on putting him in the larger tank? he will grow more comfortably in a larger tank.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
Hey everyone! I was able to pick up a 40 gallon aquarium tank today for $25. It formerly housed a nice little family of turtles, so I'll be sure to clean it with a 10% bleach solution before moving Wrex in. :D This isn't a breeding tank or anything, but I really couldn't resist that price... will this be okay for one dragon?

Great pick up for $25, if it's not a breeder then whats the width of it? You can expect wrex to be at least 18 inches long by the time he is 1-1.5 years old.

How are you measuring the temps again digital or analouge thermo, seems awfully low for a 75 watt given the size of your current tank?

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey again,
I have to agree, my baby has been in a 40 gal since I got him and he uses the whole viv already. He's only about 3 months old. With that larger tank, I found that I had to use a 150W bulb to get proper temps (with a probe thermometer that you can get from a mom/pop hardware store for about $20). I started with 100W and it wasn't hot enough so I thought I would mention it.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hm, I read somewhere that they might not be able to find their food bowl in such a big tank. Wrex is kind of an airhead as it is. I had to direct him to his water bowl twice already, and judging by how much he drank I'd say that he didn't remember the first time. :p

I don't actually have the tank on me right now either way, my cousin said I could pick it up tomorrow. Should I just go and move him in right away? I don't want the poor idiot to starve to death because he got lost.

I wasn't planning on paying for the tank today, so I didn't have enough money for an expensive thermometer. I got a strip one that my cousin said worked alright - it changes colors depending on what the temp is.

Either way, Wrex is looking kind of lethargic, and in the past few hours he went from a nice sandy orange to a dark grayish brown. That can't be good. :(

I'm getting the UV bulb once I get payed tomorrow, too.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that could be from a number of thing such as improper temps, relocation stress, and improper lighting. The strip thermometer you are talking about will not give you the temperature readings you need for him. Those measure ambient temp and are not very good at that as they are specifically designed to measure surface temp of the glass being transferred from water (as they are mainly used in fish aquariums). Save your time and dont put that strip therm on. Go get a cheap probe thermometer at walmart they are only like 12-15 bux. Pick up that tank, get your lighting straight, and adjust your temps. You will be set. he wont get lost in the tank. Most dragons do not hydrate orally anyway. They get the majority of their hydration in captivity from soaks. Most suggest 2-3 soaks a week of 15-30 minutes in warm water. This helps in shedding, bowel movements, and hydration.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As far as money goes, if you can maybe work with your parents to see if there are "extra" chores or errands that you can do to get them to help you financially that would be great. It sounds like you are very smart and intuitive. I mean I paid $89 for my tank-lol and that was on SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your statement about your dragon forgetting where his bowl was, is hilarious!!!!!!! You definitely found the right site for info.
Post pics of the pooper soon please- we LOVE pics

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You got no worries of them forgeting mate, they have a pretty keen sense of smell. He'll find it when he's hungry enough.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for everything, guys. ^_^ I just took him out for the first time since I got him, really. I didn't want to play with him too much (in case he got scared), but he's looking very bright again after hanging out by the fireplace with me. (I kept him far away so he wouldn't get burned or anything, but he liked the heat.)

I also introduced him to my guinea pig Kimmy, and they seem to get along well. ;D I know that it's probably a bad thing to let him near other animals, but Kimmy is very well trained. She sleeps at the foot of my bed like a dog, is potty trained to go in her cage, and knows not to bite lizards. She grew up with my anole and they were pretty close pals. I never let them near each other without supervision, so I think they're safe... Please tell me if there's any kind of germs that can be spread between them, though. They have the same diet as far as greens go, so if they're allowed to visit each other every so often for some kind of kale and dandelion breakfast I think it'd be cute. :3

Oh, here's some pictures!

IMG_1221.jpg

I know it's a tiny cage for now, but I'll fix that soon! As well as putting up a UV light, new thermometer, and probably replacing the sand with some kind of reptile carpet or something (once I have more cash to spare).
IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

Oh, don't mind the guinea pig droppings in this picture, she needs to get her house cleaned tomorrow. :p Wrex didn't actually go in there (ick), they just sniffed each other for a bit and Kimmy purred a little.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would'nt wait for cash to ditch the sand mate, I'd replace it now. Newspaper will do as a substrate for a baby (infact a non-particle substrate is better). As with the lights the sand will do more damage if left in there than no substrate at all. Sand can cause impaction specially as you are having trouble regulating your temps.

Latest posts