• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Helping underweight beardie gain?

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
He is 38 grams and 11 inches long. I got him 4 months agi but I dont know how old he is exactly (im estimating about 6 months old) . I have him in a 40 gallon tank with a MVB bulb and a ceramic night heater. He get a as many turnip greens as he will eat (which has been declining so im switching him between mustard and turnip with some celery every so often) and usually gets crickets but my mom hasnt bought any for almlst a month so he hasnt really been getting many lately (I know its bad and I asked her to please buy some this coming Monday). His hot temps r 95-100 degrees and the cool side is 70-80.
He just got over an infection of coccidiosis.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
BSFL are good for coccidia. For weight gain you can't go wrong with superworms. Just make sure they're appropiately sized for your beardie before feeding.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They really need protein at this size/age range. I agree with the above response, BSFL would be a great choice. They have something in them that is really good for the digestive tract and helps to fight against high levels of coccidia and other parasites. Not to mention they are loaded with calcium hints why they are also called "calci-worms."

Other than supers, Wax worms are another feeder you can throw in once in awhile. They are full of fat and not very healthy and should only be used as treats. Butter worms are another choice you can look into. They are higher in fat than BSFL but not as bad for beardies as wax worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My first suggestion would be to get him on some probiotic powder to help restore his good gut flora from meds.. most of us get it from beardeddragon.co Then I would really keep on your mom on getting the bugs that he needs at his age they are doing the most growing and it is huge making sure that he's getting the protein that he needs. If you haven't please check out the link under several of our comments on general info for new comers it has good links for food items and general requirements.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you look up "black solider fly larvae" on eBay you can get quite a few for pretty cheap. They also require no special care. They literally just sit in a container until you take them out to feed him.
It's extremely important that he is provided with a source of protein especially at this age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is 38 grams and 11 inches long. I got him 4 months agi but I dont know how old he is exactly (im estimating about 6 months old) . I have him in a 40 gallon tank with a MVB bulb and a ceramic night heater. He get a as many turnip greens as he will eat (which has been declining so im switching him between mustard and turnip with some celery every so often) and usually gets crickets but my mom hasnt bought any for almlst a month so he hasnt really been getting many lately (I know its bad and I asked her to please buy some this coming Monday). His hot temps r 95-100 degrees and the cool side is 70-80.
He just got over an infection of coccidiosis.

You're Mother is ultimately responsible for the well being of this life and she needs to know that she is starving this dragon of the food that he HAS to have to survive... At about 6 months old he should be around 100gr!!! What is the reason she is not getting him food? Does she not like the idea of crickets??
Please keep on her to buy him live food as well as come collard greens those are a great staple..crickets, superworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, waxworms anything at this point he needs food , he will only become sick again without having proper nutrition...
I'm sorry your going thru this but at this point you have to be his voice and educate your mom that this is cruel to not give him what any living creature needs..

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I completely agree with hdrydr31 it is your mother's responsibility and if she doesn't want to feed the animal then you need to get off your butt and make some money to get that baby some food. If you're not old enough to have a job then get a paper route, mow lawns, babysit, wash car's, do something. You are starving that baby to death.

To me animals are like children and you are starving your child. If you can't feed it the protein it needs then you need to find a place that can take it and give it the care that it so deserves.

How would you feel if your mom starved you? And I bet you are just sitting there watching this baby starve to death. How sad and pathetic.

Go sell an Xbox or PlayStation game. I'm sure you've got those. I've had to put my husbands $1,000 drone in pawn too make sure we had money to take Wally to the vet. Pawn only gave us $300. Cuz they only give you a third of what is worth but you do what you have to do in times of need.

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
You know what? I dont have a PlayStation I dont have an X-box I dont have anything that anyone would want. Not everyone can afford a freaking 1000$ drone to pawn ok? The town I live in has exactly 0 opportunities for someone under 16 to work. And yes I do know what its like for my mom to "starve me" because for most of my life shes been a single parent and couldnt afford food sometimes even though she worked three jobs. I came on here asking for help because im really new to this and I dont know what I cant find online ok?? I understand that protein is fucking important but I cant drive yet and the only pet store in my area is the next town over. So I have to rely on my mother to get there.Get off your freaking high horse and understand that people have different circumstances than you. (And maybe dont assume things about people? Especially about literal children)

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You know what? I dont have a PlayStation I dont have an X-box I dont have anything that anyone would want. Not everyone can afford a freaking 1000$ drone to pawn ok? The town I live in has exactly 0 opportunities for someone under 16 to work. And yes I do know what its like for my mom to "starve me" because for most of my life shes been a single parent and couldnt afford food sometimes even though she worked three jobs. I came on here asking for help because im really new to this and I dont know what I cant find online ok?? I understand that protein is fucking important but I cant drive yet and the only pet store in my area is the next town over. So I have to rely on my mother to get there.Get off your freaking high horse and understand that people have different circumstances than you. (And maybe dont assume things about people? Especially about literal children)

You don't know a thing about me either! You have no right to judge me or cuss at me. For that you need to be banned.

I was a single mom with 2 kids and no food! I knew better than to buy a helpless animal. If I couldn't feed my children then I knew better than to buy a animal. You and your mom are wrong. You need to lose your attitude.

I have worked my butt off after living in shelters with my 2 kids to get to where I am today. Which is none of your business. And now I am raising my grandson.

You also don't know that I was beat within an inch of my life hence the shelters. So don't come at me if you can't hold your own.

I'm so glad your mom said yes to compost. You going to buy manure?

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
Look im sorry I cussed at you and im sorry I judged you. But I swear I am trying thats why I asked for help on here. But like who cares ill just delete this account and go to some other website where people actually care about helping others

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Look im sorry I cussed at you and im sorry I judged you. But I swear I am trying thats why I asked for help on here. But like who cares ill just delete this account and go to some other website where people actually care about helping others

I don't know what you want people to do.

The way I am is because I was beat by my ex husband and left for dead. I do not sugar coat anything.

If you are asking for help with money for food for your animal then set up a go fund me account.

Spell it out that you need money.

I gave you advice on what I would do in your situation. And I'm sorry if you think I came at you or was mean but this is who I am. I am bold and blunt and to the point. I do not hold hands or sugar coat things. After what I have been thru. I have to be this way. I am not getting walked on anymore!

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
But you know what even if you had to put up with that **** (and I really am sorry you had to) it still doesnt give you (a grown ass 45 y/o woman) the right to come and call me ( a literal 15 y/o child) sad and pathetic

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
I bought a used mini fridge for. $25 to store my BSFL in. It is set at the warmest setting which keeps them at 54℉. They will last for months this way and will allow you to buy them in bulk. The large ones are best.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
But you know what even if you had to put up with that **** (and I really am sorry you had to) it still doesnt give you (a grown ass 45 y/o woman) the right to come and call me ( a literal 15 y/o child) sad and pathetic

I didn't call you sad and pathetic. I said what you are doing to your animal is sad and pathetic.

Look I've got better things to do then to argue with a kid. So good luck.

AGAIN CUSSING AT ME?? That's twice you've cussed. That's against the terms here.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I was not asking for money, I was just pointing out that not everyone has expensive stuff to pawn

Then what were you asking for in the first place?? If you weren't asking for help with money or advice then what did you want???

Sympathy??

Latest posts