• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP - UVB Lighting

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone,

I am so annoyed right now. I've gone through 3 UVB lights in 2 weeks. They burn out within a few days. I ended up buying a new fixture to see if that was the problem but nope, same thing. They'll stay on for a few hours at a time and then turn off to never light up again. I don't know what to do. It's so frustrating and my beardie is barely getting UVB now. I used different outlets but its the same thing. I've had him for 3 years now with no issues like this before.

Lights are reptisun t8 10.0 - 24"

Please help, these lights are too expensive to keep replacing. They were also purchased from different distributors so that can't be the issue.

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone,

I am so annoyed right now. I've gone through 3 UVB lights in 2 weeks. They burn out within a few days. I ended up buying a new fixture to see if that was the problem but nope, same thing. They'll stay on for a few hours at a time and then turn off to never light up again. I don't know what to do. It's so frustrating and my beardie is barely getting UVB now. I used different outlets but its the same thing. I've had him for 3 years now with no issues like this before.

Please help, these lights are too expensive to keep replacing. They were also purchased from different distributors so that can't be the issue.
One was from Petco, the other Petsmart, and the last Chewy. Chewy refunded me luckily, but my poor beardie is suffering :/ He's eating less and less. I don't know what to do. I might use a coil UVB in the meantime but I would hate to do that.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
One was from Petco, the other Petsmart, and the last Chewy. Chewy refunded me luckily, but my poor beardie is suffering :/ He's eating less and less. I don't know what to do. I might use a coil UVB in the meantime but I would hate to do that.
I’ve only used t5 bulbs. Used 24 inch for a couple months, no problems then switched to 36 when I built new enclosure. Have about a month left on my 6 month usage. No problems at all. If you have tried new bulbs maybe it is your fixture. I’d take the fixture with a cheap “plant growing “bulb to someone’s house and see if it’s your house electricity or fixture.

nye

Hatchling Dragon
I’ve only used t5 bulbs. Used 24 inch for a couple months, no problems then switched to 36 when I built new enclosure. Have about a month left on my 6 month usage. No problems at all. If you have tried new bulbs maybe it is your fixture. I’d take the fixture with a cheap “plant growing “bulb to someone’s house and see if it’s your house electricity or fixture.
I think one was a t5. I have already tried a new fixture but its the same problem. my other lamps work in my room, its just the uvb bulb burns out so fast.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
I think one was a t5. I have already tried a new fixture but its the same problem. my other lamps work in my room, its just the uvb bulb burns out so fast.
Are keeping them clean. Taking out of the box with gloves on or wiping with a cloth. I’ve heard fingerprint oil drastically shortens there lifespan.

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Are keeping them clean. Taking out of the box with gloves on or wiping with a cloth. I’ve heard fingerprint oil drastically shortens there lifespan.
its a brand new fixture and new bulb. i dont think it would shorten its lifetime to only 5 hours :/ i cant understand why its happening

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
its a brand new fixture and new bulb. i dont think it would shorten its lifetime to only 5 hours :/ i cant understand why its happening
You have fixture shut off, then put in bulb, then turn on? I’ve heard if you put a bulb in a “live” fixture bad things happen.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What fixture are u using, if the bulbs are to high of a wattage it sometimes shorts them out (usually this is with heat bulbs) but if u have a cheap fixture that could be it, sometimes bulbs are duds i myself have gone through a couple over the years of reptile keeping , but please dont get a coil bulb thats worse than no uvb :( get a mvb if thats ur only option rn

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What about the plug in itself? Are you using a regular plug in direct or a power strip? It sounds like the fixture is getting over heated and burning it out so I am thinking it could be the plug in --- Please NO coils get him outside for some good UVB 15 minutes / day or longer sitting on you -- but if you put him in something use a plastic tote NO GLASS --- then you must supervise him especially if its really hot ---- take the others back as well and try getting one from this website www.pangeareptiles.com they are good and if you have a issue w/ this one contact them they will refund your money as well but I think its the plug in itself - try another plug in in the room where you have your lights plugged in and go from there --- if it does not burn out in the outlet its the one your using ---

nye

Hatchling Dragon
What fixture are u using, if the bulbs are to high of a wattage it sometimes shorts them out (usually this is with heat bulbs) but if u have a cheap fixture that could be it, sometimes bulbs are duds i myself have gone through a couple over the years of reptile keeping , but please dont get a coil bulb thats worse than no uvb :( get a mvb if thats ur only option rn
I have an older fixture and i also bought an aqueon deluxe one and its the same issue. they both only take up to 17watts and the bulbs are 24 watts so ill see if this is the issue (but it never was in the past.)

nye

Hatchling Dragon
What about the plug in itself? Are you using a regular plug in direct or a power strip? It sounds like the fixture is getting over heated and burning it out so I am thinking it could be the plug in --- Please NO coils get him outside for some good UVB 15 minutes / day or longer sitting on you -- but if you put him in something use a plastic tote NO GLASS --- then you must supervise him especially if its really hot ---- take the others back as well and try getting one from this website www.pangeareptiles.com they are good and if you have a issue w/ this one contact them they will refund your money as well but I think its the plug in itself - try another plug in in the room where you have your lights plugged in and go from there --- if it does not burn out in the outlet its the one your using ---
its plugged into its own outlet

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,

Please plug into a different outlet in your LR or another in the same room - you need to rule the outlet itself out - if it blows in another outlet then it is the fixture ---

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Please plug into a different outlet in your LR or another in the same room - you need to rule the outlet itself out - if it blows in another outlet then it is the fixture ---
I said in the OP that its the same outcome no matter what outlet :( same thing happens in the new fixture i bought.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I said in the OP that its the same outcome no matter what outlet :( same thing happens in the new fixture i bought.
Change fixtures there is a bad batch going around that evidently is going to different vendors --- you can try getting a 24" fixture Zoo Med from here www.pangeareptiles.com they are good and fast and I have sent many people there and so far it has been good --- this is going to be a T 5 not a T 8 or you can go w/ a Arcadia Pro T 5 from there you would need a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano from here https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone,

Yes, I like how you are doing a good job.

Reactions: nye

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Update: I bought ANOTHER fixture and lamp and what do you know… burnt out again within days. I’m close to crying out of frustration. I emailed Zoomed and hope to get a reply soon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: I bought ANOTHER fixture and lamp and what do you know… burnt out again within days. I’m close to crying out of frustration. I emailed Zoomed and hope to get a reply soon.
Did you get another zoo med? If so where from?

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Did you get another zoo med? If so where from?
Yea I did from a different Petsmart. I tried to order from Pangea reptile but the cost was a little high for me and it would take too long to arrive. he would be without uvb for 3-5 days :/. i dont know what else to do.

Latest posts