• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is how the left side looks after I scraped whatever it was on the q-tip off, the right side I couldn't get it without his squirming and I dont want to hurt him.

Attachments

• 20211002_102712.jpg
    20211002_102712.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is Mesh, This is the Bulb https://www.amazon.com/TEKIZOO-Inte...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520389422974&psc=1

I tried using the credit card but i couldnt get it, But i used a q-tip and tried and the piece came off from the side of his mouth im now thinking it is a scab? ill upload a pic of it on the q-tip.
Please get rid of the UVB it is NO good --- you can get a different brand please like a Mega Ray or a Power Sun but my advice is to get a regular basking bulb along w/ a good UVB --- what size tank is he in now? I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture IF YOUR TANK IS SMALLER THAN 40 GALLONS -- if the tank is 40 gallons get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ----
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 it will need to be unobstructed NO screen and please do this right away --- the UVB and your basking temps are EXTEMELY important for the health of the dragon--- my friend posted back and this is what she said about your little baby

Poor little thing, that is mouth rot. Your advice to get a good reptile vet is the best thing. For now they can use unpasteurized honey on it [ use a Q-tip ] and/or chlorhexidine or Maxi guard gel. IMO, raw honey is the best but they like the taste and may try to lick most of it.

BTW, the other poster giving advice on the thread asked about star gazing but that's not really looking like it there.
And yes that is not star gazing -- I would use the raw unpasteurized honey as well thats going to be the best for now and find a reptile vet please and please get the a bright white basking bulb and the UVB that I posted ASAP
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...med-basking-spot-bulbs?variant=26907331297380 start w/ a 100 watt for now make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get correct basking temps -- or you can also use a Exo Terra bulb as well

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the UVB it is NO good --- you can get a different brand please like a Mega Ray or a Power Sun but my advice is to get a regular basking bulb along w/ a good UVB --- what size tank is he in now? I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture IF YOUR TANK IS SMALLER THAN 40 GALLONS -- if the tank is 40 gallons get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ----
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 it will need to be unobstructed NO screen and please do this right away --- the UVB and your basking temps are EXTEMELY important for the health of the dragon--- my friend posted back and this is what she said about your little baby

Poor little thing, that is mouth rot. Your advice to get a good reptile vet is the best thing. For now they can use unpasteurized honey on it [ use a Q-tip ] and/or chlorhexidine or Maxi guard gel. IMO, raw honey is the best but they like the taste and may try to lick most of it.

BTW, the other poster giving advice on the thread asked about star gazing but that's not really looking like it there.
And yes that is not star gazing -- I would use the raw unpasteurized honey as well thats going to be the best for now and find a reptile vet please and please get the a bright white basking bulb and the UVB that I posted ASAP
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...med-basking-spot-bulbs?variant=26907331297380 start w/ a 100 watt for now make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get correct basking temps -- or you can also use a Exo Terra bulb as well
its a 50 gallon, I have already Purchased the Reptisun T5 H0 Fixture and a 10.0 Bulb that was shipped yesterday and will be here on Wednesday. I have been looking at reptile vets in my area and am waiting on a call back from one, I have a Ton of raw unpasteurized honey luckily because i brew mead (honey wine) haha. so I will start using that. Thank you for all the help I truly appreciate it and I know Cinder does as well!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its a 50 gallon, I have already Purchased the Reptisun T5 H0 Fixture and a 10.0 Bulb that was shipped yesterday and will be here on Wednesday. I have been looking at reptile vets in my area and am waiting on a call back from one, I have a Ton of raw unpasteurized honey luckily because i brew mead (honey wine) haha. so I will start using that. Thank you for all the help I truly appreciate it and I know Cinder does as well!
Please keep me posted on the UVB and the vet visit NO ENEMAS -- if they want a fecal bring one in

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
That is a symptom of atadenovirus. Can you describe the behavior a bit more thoroughly? And do you know how old he is

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is a symptom of atadenovirus. Can you describe the behavior a bit more thoroughly? And do you know how old he is
I believe he is 2 or 3 months? i purchased him from petco ( i know i know) but he sits on the side of his basking rock facing up, or if he is flat he straightens his front (arm/legs?) so he is pushing himself up and looks up. He doesn't really arch his back or neck up. If that makes sense?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I believe he is 2 or 3 months? i purchased him from petco ( i know i know) but he sits on the side of his basking rock facing up, or if he is flat he straightens his front (arm/legs?) so he is pushing himself up and looks up. He doesn't really arch his back or neck up. If that makes sense?
Hmm. Does it appear like he is trying to push and look up as high as he can?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not adenovirus there would be other signs- please get your lighting corrected ASAP--

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
paper towels till you get some different substrate --- right now lets focus on the mouth --- he needs to be off that sand --- dragons lick everything when they are little and him on the sand and being fed on the sand will and can cause impaction the paper towels wont do that -- you will haft to watch the crickets if your feeding them and you said hes not eating you may haft to feed w/ syringe til his mouth is better but we need to determine what is going on here*
*UPDATE*

So yesterday I removed the Red Lamp, Removed Sand and replaced with paper towel, and i was able to get ahold and talk to an exotic animal vet. Unfortunately they are booked solid for the next 3 months and are short staffed due to the Rona virus but he was able to give me advice on how to treat it. I was told to use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water mix 2 times a day and also a 10/90 mix of betadine and water solution once a day and to work the crud off from around his mouth and to up the temp in his cage 3 or 4 degrees. he also advised since he is not eating to syringe feed baby food 3 times a day for the next week and he is going to try to free up a spot to see us in person.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*UPDATE*

So yesterday I removed the Red Lamp, Removed Sand and replaced with paper towel, and i was able to get ahold and talk to an exotic animal vet. Unfortunately they are booked solid for the next 3 months and are short staffed due to the Rona virus but he was able to give me advice on how to treat it. I was told to use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water mix 2 times a day and also a 10/90 mix of betadine and water solution once a day and to work the crud off from around his mouth. he also advised since he is not eating to syringe feed baby food 3 times a day for the next week and he is going to try to free up a spot to see us in person.
Ok I am going to pass this info on to a vet tech -- she's really good we will see what she says about the advice he's given - did he say anything about the mouth rot being treated w/ a antibiotic? How is the honey working?

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I am going to pass this info on to a vet tech -- she's really good we will see what she says about the advice he's given - did he say anything about the mouth rot being treated w/ a antibiotic? How is the honey worki

Ok I am going to pass this info on to a vet tech -- she's really good we will see what she says about the advice he's given - did he say anything about the mouth rot being treated w/ a antibiotic? How is the honey working?
yea, he said that depending on how far along the mouth rot is we may need to inject antibiotics but this regimen can cure it if caught early enough.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea, he said that depending on how far along the mouth rot is we may need to inject antibiotics but this regimen can cure it if caught early enough.
This is what the vet tech said about the vets treatment

I definitely don't recommend using hydrogen peroxide at all, for reptiles,
even diluted. Stick with the diluted betadine, it is much safer. It is just as
effective as hydrogen peroxide.
It can clear up without antibiotics but the treatment needs to be vigilant &
done daily to hopefully get it cleared up.
I would use raw, unpasteurized honey on the inside of the mouth & gums
area, too.

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is what the vet tech said about the vets treatment

I definitely don't recommend using hydrogen peroxide at all, for reptiles,
even diluted. Stick with the diluted betadine, it is much safer. It is just as
effective as hydrogen peroxide.
It can clear up without antibiotics but the treatment needs to be vigilant &
done daily to hopefully get it cleared up.
I would use raw, unpasteurized honey on the inside of the mouth & gums
area, too.
Ok, ill be sure to do that thank you. I was able to get him into a vet yesterday (not the same one I spoke to), they had him for a few hours and said it isnt mouth rot his gums and teeth look fine aside from a small cut on the left side that got a little infected, they gave me Betadine and an antibiotic along with vitamins and calcium. They said to keep cleaning it and to syringe feed until it heals and he can eat on his own.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, ill be sure to do that thank you. I was able to get him into a vet yesterday (not the same one I spoke to), they had him for a few hours and said it isnt mouth rot his gums and teeth look fine aside from a small cut on the left side that got a little infected, they gave me Betadine and an antibiotic along with vitamins and calcium. They said to keep cleaning it and to syringe feed until it heals and he can eat on his own.
Ok sounds good I would keep up w/ the honey as well- that will promote healing

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
New baby bearded dragon/ first time owner, he wont eat or drink and has what looks like sores or swelling on the sides of his mouth. Im not sure if it is mouth rot or swelling from him rubbing his face on his water dish.
Hi so sorry about your beardie I have never heard of soars maybe from being to close to the UVb light or the wrong lights or way to hot temperatures so maybe he got burned. Please take him to a good reptile or exotic animal vet asap. Also there’s a few changes that need to be made in the tank. The temp gauge needs to be digital and needs to be above the basking platform with the prove sitting on the bashing rock. The temp for a baby under 7mnths should be 100-105 and not any higher. After 7mnths of age temp for a beardie is 95-100 more like 95-97. But a infrared gun at Home Depot or online u shine it an inch above the basking platform and that will Give u super accurate temps also so u can see the exact real temp on that tank I monitor mine thruougt the day. Sometimes I raise my lights if it’s too hot or tune them off for 5-10min if it’s blazing hot. Also u need a digital hygrometer for the humidity which should be between 30-40 and then u need another thermometer and hygometr for the cold side. Please remove the red light asap. Colored and coiled bulbs are horrible for Beardies. Also never use the powersun; it burns and is deadly & if u do use it that serves as heat and has UVb and needs to be placed 16imches away minimum from the Beardie and u wud need no other lights; but this light gets insanely hot and beardies have been severely burned or died from them because people use additional lights also for heat and it gets the temp so hot that the Beardie can’t survive. The best for heat is The zoomed clear bulb for heat and the long reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb the length of the UVb u order should cover 70 percent of the tank. All UVB’s need replacing every 6Mnths. Also both lights should be on in the winter for 10-12 hours and in the summer 12-14 hours. At night all lights need to be turned off. U can use a 60watt ceramic heater at nite which emits heat and no light; u place it above where he sleeps till about 7mntjs of age, because as a baby the temp when sleeping should be above 80. After 8mnths of age only use the ceramic heat emitter in the winter because temp needs to be 70 degrees minimum never below 70 at night when sleeping after 7mnths of age. Also consider using paper towels or white terry cloths as a substrate they ingest sand and coconut substrate so it’s not recommended. Feed only cricketts & Dubia roaches as proteins never do mealworms it’s a cheap, fatty feeder that impacts them and ruins their tummy. Also a fresh plate of greens/veggies everyday to munch on and switch it after it gets wilted & place its on the cold side. Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, butternut squash, endives, green beans and snap peas. Cut 2-3 kinds into bite size pieces and place a full plate for him. But he needs proteins feed 4-5 times a day till about 4mnths of age then u go down to 3 protein feedings per day then at 7-8mnths do proteins 2 times per day and after a year old once per day or every other day is good. But always the plate of veggies and greens otherwise they won’t eat them when they are older & if not introduced to them now. Also u can do blueberries, papayas and mangoes a few times a week as treats. After a year of age U may add superworms as treats too they are very good healthy proteins but high in fat. Sprinkle calcium powder 3-4 times a week on the proteins but only once per day. Sprinkle like salt on fries I do it on a big ziplock and shake it them feed him and on a Non calcium day u sprinkle herptivite vitamin powder once per day/week. Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water out water up to his knees so he can soak so not to high of a water level.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ok, I will take the sand out and use paper towels until he is grown.
White terry cloth towels are even better too or a mix of both plus it serves as a great way to keep the tank super duper clean. I wud use these forever as the substrate never use sand; it’s super bad for them. Read my post below also with a lot of vital info and good changes for the tank and the lights which need switching asap. Here are the recommended lights and pics of the vitamins u need. I posted my more in my in depth post to you without attaching the photos so here are the photos. Try and move the hammock on the hot side too it serves as another lounging spot for them. Remove all colored & coiled bulbs & buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb.

Attachments

• D478A8E9-C73F-488E-A2F6-55C89003266F.jpeg
    D478A8E9-C73F-488E-A2F6-55C89003266F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • AC19CBFA-1F2D-4383-9EBE-F63C42D26A4E.jpeg
    AC19CBFA-1F2D-4383-9EBE-F63C42D26A4E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • F892593D-9E89-40A8-81B2-EC6C88EB65BB.jpeg
    F892593D-9E89-40A8-81B2-EC6C88EB65BB.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 50AE76C2-ABD1-41D6-8D8F-222691AA66E6.jpeg
    50AE76C2-ABD1-41D6-8D8F-222691AA66E6.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Thundercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Get a credit card and slide on the side of the mouth even a Q tip would work if the mouth is sore - he should open his mouth - you just want to get him to open it The UVB is what brand and bulb please this is crucial to the dragon --- your screen is what kind fine mesh or a wide hole type---- ??
Take him to the dr tight away. I went through this with my beardie a Couple of times. He is going to need antibiotics to help with swelling and scars. Don't wait to long. If it is mouth rot ,it can kill them. Take a stool sample as well to have that checked. Best of luck to you

Thundercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sometimes the cant hit there jaw on something that causes that to happen. Just pay attention to how he moves on enclosure. My baby used to jump down alot

Latest posts