• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
New baby bearded dragon/ first time owner, he wont eat or drink and has what looks like sores or swelling on the sides of his mouth. Im not sure if it is mouth rot or swelling from him rubbing his face on his water dish.

Attachments

• Resized_20211002_092046.jpeg
    Resized_20211002_092046.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Resized_20211002_091617.jpg
    Resized_20211002_091617.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 104

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
New baby bearded dragon/ first time owner, he wont eat or drink and has what looks like sores or swelling on the sides of his mouth. Im not sure if it is mouth rot or swelling from him rubbing his face on his water dish.
How long has this been going on I am going to get some more help on this ---- in the meantime can you get a pic of the inside of the mouth --- please --- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please and what are the basking temps and how are you taking them ?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
PLEASE see a vet! It sort of looks like he could be holding something in his mouth. Try to open it. What are your temps, what is your lighting, can you post a picture of the enclosure?

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
basking Temp is 103*F ambient is 80*F humidity averages around 20% (Naturally). The UVB bulb isn't the coil type (I'm waiting on a 36 inch T5 HO 10.0 bulb and hood should be here wednesday)

Attachments

• 20211002_095211.jpg
    20211002_095211.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 94

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
How long has this been going on I am going to get some more help on this ---- in the meantime can you get a pic of the inside of the mouth --- please --- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please and what are the basking temps and how are you taking them ?
Temps are taken with a digital thermometer and the round analog one, UVB is a large bulb it isnt the coil type, but I will be changing to a T5 H0 10.0 hood and bulb when it gets here Wednesday. Do you have a recomendation on how to open his mouth without harming him?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
basking Temp is 103*F ambient is 80*F humidity averages around 20% (Naturally). The UVB bulb isn't the coil type (I'm waiting on a 36 inch T5 HO 10.0 bulb and hood should be here wednesday)
Please take out the red bulb. It damages their eyes and stresses them out. They shouldn't need nighttime heating at all unless it gets below 65 degrees. For this you can use a ceramic heat emitter so it's not bright

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Please use only probes for your temps- what is that substrate?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps are taken with a digital thermometer and the round analog one, UVB is a large bulb it isnt the coil type, but I will be changing to a T5 H0 10.0 hood and bulb when it gets here Wednesday. Do you have a recomendation on how to open his mouth without harming him?
Get a credit card and slide on the side of the mouth even a Q tip would work if the mouth is sore - he should open his mouth - you just want to get him to open it The UVB is what brand and bulb please this is crucial to the dragon --- your screen is what kind fine mesh or a wide hole type---- ??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is sand that came with the enclosure (it was a "Bearded dragon kit")
Please get rid of the sand and use paper towels for now --- has he been eating the sand and what are you feeding?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Please take it out he is too young for loose substrate. If you want to use loose substrate again when he's older you can do a few inches of potting soil mixed with play sand
And no fertilizers in the soil. Eco earth with playsand also works

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am thinking this is mouth rot -- have you tried washing it off --- you said he keeps trying to wash it off in the water dish? If it is indeed mouth rot your gonna haft to get him into a reptile vet no regular vets --- they wont know what to do --- www.arav.org ---- if your in a small area type in a bigger city zip code -- I am waiting to hear back from a friend thats very experienced w/ this stuff ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
But paper towel or newspaper until he's an adult
paper towels till you get some different substrate --- right now lets focus on the mouth --- he needs to be off that sand --- dragons lick everything when they are little and him on the sand and being fed on the sand will and can cause impaction the paper towels wont do that -- you will haft to watch the crickets if your feeding them and you said hes not eating you may haft to feed w/ syringe til his mouth is better but we need to determine what is going on here

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get a credit card and slide on the side of the mouth - he should open his mouth - if you rub on it does it seem to hurt him ? The UVB is what brand and bulb please this is crucial to the dragon --- your screen is what kind fine mesh or a wide hole type---- ??
It is Mesh, This is the Bulb https://www.amazon.com/TEKIZOO-Inte...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520389422974&psc=1

I tried using the credit card but i couldnt get it, But i used a q-tip and tried and the piece came off from the side of his mouth im now thinking it is a scab? ill upload a pic of it on the q-tip.

BjornOdinsson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get a credit card and slide on the side of the mouth - he should open his mouth - if you rub on it does it seem to hurt him ? The UVB is what brand and bulb please this is crucial to the dragon --- your screen is what kind fine mesh or a wide hole type---- ??
It is Mesh, This is the Bulb https://www.amazon.com/TEKIZOO-Inte...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520389422974&psc=1

I tried using the credit card but i couldnt get it, But i used a q-tip and tried and the piece came off from the side of his mouth im now thinking it is a scab? ill upload a pic of it on the q-tip.

Attachments

• 20211002_101545.jpg
    20211002_101545.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100

Latest posts