• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat Bulb?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I know I was flippin out when it did not work right and so I had just bought another one and was thinkin CRAP these things don't work and Mungi set me up good , LOL Just messin with ya Mungi. These things are some kind of awesome!! Oh and please share what you set your temps at for 8 month old beardie. PWEASE............

Were I the kind to "set you up good" it would have been a good set up to have you place the order and the package sent to my house, right? LOL:D

Now seeing Germ's post I do hope that you bought the thermostats to use with a CHE and not with your basking light on your enclosure. I had started the discussion in reference to PatB's post earlier in this thread where she was asking about CHE's. Anytime I talk of CHEs or UTHs then I always interject that they should only be used with a thermostat for safety reasons mostly but also to save on electricity. I also recommended these specific thermostats based on my experience with them and stated that I use them elusively on all of our enclosure CHEs and the UTHs on our roach and cricket colony tubs.

I do however apologize if I somehow made it appear as if they should be used in conjunction with basking lights too. That was certainly not my intention in the least. I will say that some folks do supplement basking lights with CHE heat in which case the CHE should be plugged into a thermostat and the basking light plugged into a separate connection but I believe the better option for attaining proper daytime heat is as Germ posted by using a basking light bulb of sufficient wattage to get it right and never personally agreed with using CHEs at all in combo for daylight heating.

That is also why I suggested my preference in the household indoor Halogen floodlights for basking lights to you earlier in the thread in reference to your original thread topic.

Again sorry for any confusion. Hope this helps clear it.:)

Enjoy!!

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
My personal preference for basking lights is to use standard household indoor Halogen floodlights. They produce a clean bright light which attracts dragons, great heat per wattage and are readily available at most hardware and big box stores for a lot cheaper than "reptile specific" bulbs. Mungi's current enclosure is a 40 gal breeder tank and I use a 75 watt which is suspended approximately 8 inches above the screen from a custom adjustable light rack I make for my enclosures out of PVC pipe. Besides being cheaper in cost to buy and saving money on electricity it is also nice to use the Halogen bulbs because if one goes out and I don't have a spare its a quick trip to Walmart and I can replace it no matter what time of day or night.:)

Enjoy!
Mungi, I've seen in multiple posts around the forum that you use a 75w GE indoor halogen flood light. I picked one of these up to use and Merlin's basking spot barely reached over 90.
I'm curious as to what type of fixture you're using for the heat lamp that requires it to have to be raised above the tank.
My setup is 22" high and the dome enclosure I currently have keeps he bulb somewhat recessed (photos in my introduction).

I'm having a lot of difficulty getting a good heating light and would appreciate any information!!!!

Latest posts