• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat Bulb?

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Dinos SolarGlo bulb burned out after only 2 months and the dang thing cost $40. I am going to try to take it back to Petsmart tomorrow and I do not think I will get another one. I had a replacement bulb that I got at the Repticon for my Chameleon so I am using that, it is a Repti-glo by Exo Terra. Ok here is my situation for those of you that know Dino has not been eating and now all the sudden when his bulb blows out and he is under the Repti-glo bulb his colors are awesome and he is eating??? Should I continue with using this bulb?? Do you think he was too hot with the other bulb because it was 160 watt and this one is 150 watt but it is keeping his habitat on the basking side 100 degrees and the SolarGlo bulb was keeping it at 104 degrees. Take in mind I have the light on a extended stand so I can adjust it to where it was 18" from the basking spot. I don't think he liked the solarglo bulb and maybe he was just too hot?? Should I keep him under the Repti-glo or get a Halogen bulb again?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Take the SolarGlo Bulb back and get a refund. Don't get another one. This bulb could also be the reason why he's not eating. Some people use Repti-Glo and haven't had any problems with their line. (Based on perference, I use Reptisun 10.0 because their bulbs give Allie her best colors and she eats healthily.) I have heard Repti-Glo doing harm to reptiles and being the incorrect wavelength for UVB. I also heard that they fixed it, but some beardies still have issues such as eye problems and MBD. The bulbs could be old and haven't been replaced or taken back to the manufacturer. (I even argued with a pet store owner that tried to sell me a tube bulb he had in stock. I didn't know how long that bulb was on the shelf.) I was firm and only wanted the best for my Allie. I go to an online store to order all her supplies because of the price and shipping rates are great. Their customer service was great! I ordered a hammock from them and it broke. I contacted their customer service and they sent me another one. I order the Reptisun 10.0 because I was told never to use Repti-Glo 10.0. So I maintained my preferences and stayed with Reptisun 10.0. The tube bulb is great because Allie's colors are brilliant sunshine on a dreary day! Her colors and her eating habits are great! She thrives!

I'm ranting but that's what I've seen with Reptisun 10.0.

It seems the Repti-Glo is doing the job, but is it a coil or tube? Coil bulbs aren't 100% good for them and also cause issues with MBD and eye issues. Tube's are better than coils. The most 'Sunlight' is in the middle of the tube, not the sides.

Pat B

Super Moderator
If he is doing better under the newer bulb I would keep using that one. His little self has had such a hard time getting started in life.... If this bulb works then I would definitely use it... In my Humbe opinion :D

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My personal preference for basking lights is to use standard household indoor Halogen floodlights. They produce a clean bright light which attracts dragons, great heat per wattage and are readily available at most hardware and big box stores for a lot cheaper than "reptile specific" bulbs. Mungi's current enclosure is a 40 gal breeder tank and I use a 75 watt which is suspended approximately 8 inches above the screen from a custom adjustable light rack I make for my enclosures out of PVC pipe. Besides being cheaper in cost to buy and saving money on electricity it is also nice to use the Halogen bulbs because if one goes out and I don't have a spare its a quick trip to Walmart and I can replace it no matter what time of day or night.:)

Enjoy!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am sorry Noella if you misunderstood me. This is the heat bulb I am now using and was talking about , I would just like to know if this heat source bulb is ok to use? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22811&cmpid=07csesz&ref=3474&subref=AA

I am also using and been using Arcadia florecent ( from light your Reptiles) Those are what I use for UVB. I do know that the Coil bulbs are bad.

Yes I did. My bad.

I used to use it but it didn't put out enough heat for her to digest. Using one now because a halogen bulb burned out recently. I switched to halogen flood lamps and metal clamp lamps to heat Allie's tank better. The basking spot she used only went up to 80. I gradually brought her up to 95-100. She loves to bask under her bulbs which is hotter, but she knows when to regulate her temperature. :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Since 'we' are on the topic of heat bulbs....why use a CHE?? I bought one for Spike because I am thinking his tank might be too cool....low 60's. As some of you know, he is in brumation. So I bought one....a black one and it raised the temp all of one degree so why bother? Is a white CHE better than black? I don't remember the wattage. To me....the heat escapes through the screen at the top. I do think he might be starting to wake up because he is beginning to open his eyes a little more but hasn't moved.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@PatB...you may need a higher watt CHE. I also put the CHE in a dome fixture just above the screen. The dome will help direct the heat down into the enclosure. Also make sure that you use a Thermostat with the CHE. They and the fixture get extremely hot and the thermostat will only let it come on if it is needed and will turn it off when the desired temp is reached so its a safety device as well as let's you not waste electricity.
Also remember if his nighttime temp is in the low 60s then you only want it to raise up to about 65.
They are a good back up heat source.
Just a thought but if his temps are dropping into the low 60s then that is slowing his metabolism way down and may be contributing to his unusally long brumation. Raising that temp up a bit may encourage him to go ahead and wake up. I personally know I hibernate too at night when the house is cool:)
Oh and there is no difference that I know of between the black and the white CHEs. I think it is just different manufacturers is all.
Hope that helps Pat! and if he isn't awake by the 4th of July I am going to personally come and set off fireworks in his enclosure...lots of loud boomy fireworks...LOL:-P

Enjoy!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
I don't have a thermostat but will get one. I agree about the metabolism slowing down. He is still in a very deep sleep as about every 3 days I will pet him to make sure he is still breathing and he always moves just a little bit. The temp now is about 69 degrees and his eyes are open but no movement. Is there a way to check and make sure that he doesn't have anything wrong with him without a fecal count? Hasn't eaten in months so therefore no poop. I have always said Spike is cut from a differnt cloth as he is not a very active dragon and loves to sleep. Strange little booger. Thanks for the help....I think I will turn on all his lights this morning and see what he does along with a warm bath and food!!

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You can get a very good digital thermostat on Amazon. That's where I get mine. The ones I use are these....Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat...they were originally made for use with plant heat mats but are very popular with reptile folks for use with heating equipment. In fact so much so that the last ones I bought are now even labeled for use with reptile enclosures. Great thing about them is they are accurate and have a nice big digital readout. You just set the temp you want and done. They cost about 30 bucks. Great investment.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Mungi is that Thermostat better than the Zilla or is it the same? I guess I need to get one because I am having a hell of a time keeping Dino's Temp right where he needs it. Sheesh I am going back and forth adjusting it constantly and it matters what temp the room they are in too and they are in a room at the end of the house where it gets more sun and so hotter than any other part of the house. This is very frustrating and not to mention that he only ate one superworm today.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Pat maybe I ended up with a Dragon like yours. Thats ok we love them regardless if they are a pain in the arse :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Mungi is that Thermostat better than the Zilla or is it the same? ...

I think those Hydrofarm Thermostats are the best value for the money. They are made well, accurate, simple to use and have a nice digital display that is easy to read from across the room.
I use them exclusively now for all of my tank CHEs as well as for the UTHs on our roach and cricket colonies.:D

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I think those Hydrofarm Thermostats are the best value for the money. They are made well, accurate, simple to use and have a nice digital display that is easy to read from across the room.
I use them exclusively now for all of my tank CHEs as well as for the UTHs on our roach and cricket colonies.:D
Ok I have a problem. I know imagine that LOL! When I plug my heat light into the Thermostat it doesn't work?? Does this call for a certain light fixture?? I have the black dome one that most pet stores carry.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I know I was flippin out when it did not work right and so I had just bought another one and was thinkin CRAP these things don't work and Mungi set me up good , LOL Just messin with ya Mungi. These things are some kind of awesome!! Oh and please share what you set your temps at for 8 month old beardie. PWEASE............

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thermostats are fine for night heat, if needed, but not a good plan for daytime heat regulation, if that is the plan, as they would be shutting the lights on/off continually all day, confusing the BDs. For daytime heat, we must play with bulb types, wattages & distances to suit our particular enclosures & ambient room temps.

Temps should still remain in the 105-110F range, leaning more to the higher option. Once it's an adult & not eating as much prey, then the high end temps are not required & 95-105F should be provided, I have found over the years that mine liked it around the 100-105 marks, as adults.

Latest posts